★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gemania (by Novobottle) [Universal]

01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Gemania (by Novobottle) [Universal]

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. My first iPhone/iPad game has just been released in app store, and it's free for a limited time. I hope you can enjoy it and give decent reviews.

The app is a leisure time match-and-erase game. It's really easy to play, but there are lots things for you to explore. Typically, there are more than a dozen magic spells for you to master. The experience is so unique and I suppose there's no previous game alike. FYI, I attached the screenshots. You can locate the game in app store by searching 'Gemania' (Gem + mania, nothing to do with German).

ps: The icon is ugly for now, and you can just ignore it. I'll change it in recent updates. And I also find the sound that gems drop off the bottom annoying, do you feel the same way? Should I change it to something softer? You can tell if you have other suggestions about the game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	40542   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	40543   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	40544  

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	40545   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	40546  

Last edited by willzeng; 01-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM

01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Thank you very much. I haven't learned this yet And you are really quick!
01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to sivyan
Sanuku is like the overlord of the TA forums

On topic: the game looks great and as it seems you just started getting into coding so I'm definitely picking it up, thing is I don't have money right now so I will get it later :P

Edit: oh wait its free, awesome!

Games I've beta tested: ParkEXP,TerminalVelocity,Numbbles,Tomato Crush,Stir Fry,The Sandbox,Elf Defense
01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Why is a Star of David a background on one of the screens? Is there a religious tie in to the app?

Thanks,
Munkie!

Looking for a cool sig.
01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Look, I made a cross +.

GC: Rancub
Currently playing: Battleheart: Legacy

Last edited by airdan; 01-09-2012 at 11:21 PM.
01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkieSuthorn View Post
Why is a Star of David a background on one of the screens? Is there a religious tie in to the app?

Thanks,
Munkie!

No religious tie. The pattern is only for a hint that you are casting a magic.

btw: There shouldn't be any religious problem to use the pattern, should there? I don't want it to be religious offensive.

Last edited by willzeng; 01-09-2012 at 09:20 PM.
01-09-2012, 11:17 PM
None that I am aware of. Was just curious.

Thanks,
Munkie!

Looking for a cool sig.
01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Game Impressions

It's pretty cute.

Gems fall at a fairly constant rate and your job is to quickly draw a line through two or more same colored gems before they fall off the screen (gems that fall off the screen will ding your health and if you let too many fall off uncollected the level might end early). As the levels progress new gems are added into the mix as well as giving the player access to new spells (usually triggered by matching a string of 3+ gems of a certain color) to help you in catching the rain of gems.

At the end of each completed level you're given a 1-3 star rating based on your end score as well as credits to buy some of the game's plethora of upgrades (3-5 upgradeable levels of 14 spells plus other upgradeable bits). While the game does have the standard IAP for additional credits, you really can earn a lot on your own making the IAP just an option for the impatient. The majority of your credits will be earned from the first time you earn stars on a level. If you, for example, have already played a level and gotten two stars, each replay of the level will earn you a few credits regardless of the end rating but the only way you'll ever get a big one-time bonus is once you finally earn 3 stars on that level (it would appear each star earned for the first time on a level grants the player 300 credits whereas playing without getting any new stars seems to only net me about 100-200).

4/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
It's pretty cute.

Gems fall at a fairly constant rate and your job is to quickly draw a line through two or more same colored gems before they fall off the screen (gems that fall off the screen will ding your health and if you let too many fall off uncollected the level might end early). As the levels progress new gems are added into the mix as well as giving the player access to new spells (usually triggered by matching a string of 3+ gems of a certain color) to help you in catching the rain of gems.

At the end of each completed level you're given a 1-3 star rating based on your end score as well as credits to buy some of the game's plethora of upgrades (3-5 upgradeable levels of 14 spells plus other upgradeable bits). While the game does have the standard IAP for additional credits, you really can earn a lot on your own making the IAP just an option for the impatient. The majority of your credits will be earned from the first time you earn stars on a level. If you, for example, have already played a level and gotten two stars, each replay of the level will earn you a few credits regardless of the end rating but the only way you'll ever get a big one-time bonus is once you finally earn 3 stars on that level (it would appear each star earned for the first time on a level grants the player 300 credits whereas playing without getting any new stars seems to only net me about 100-200).

4/5
Wow, that's detailed. As a hint, you can see scores for 3 stars and 2 stars by pausing the game (You are guaranteed to have at least one star as long as you finish a level.)

btw: I just submitted version 1.01, which has a new app icon. I think it's better. At least it looks more like a game
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LargeIcon.png
Views:	271
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	40589  

Last edited by willzeng; 01-10-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: make the attached image show up