★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iAd eCPM Falls Off a Cliff

01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
iAd eCPM Falls Off a Cliff

Ever since January 1st we've seen iAd eCPM rates fall off a cliff for our game, Cricket Words. Is it just us? Is this normal?

Our theory is that companies probably had a bunch of ad buys for the holidays and those runs probably ended 12/31. Any other ideas? For those who have been using iAd for a long time do you have any insight on general trends throughout the year?

To make matters worse our backup, AdMob, saw a huge drop in fill rates around the same time. They were consistently in the high 90% and now we're often getting below 50%.
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Wellington
Posts: 873
I wouldn't be too concerned. iAd revenues are down because their fill rate is way down, not their eCPM (well, your eCPM shouldn't be down).

AdMob is the same.

You are probably right on your guess. With people on vacation and larger brands targeting Christmas and New Year sales, the number of campaigns running will have dropped dramatically. I expect we'll see a return to normal by the end of the month.

Make sure you are using AdSense to backfill any spare slots that you can in the mean time.

01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned. iAd revenues are down because their fill rate is way down, not their eCPM (well, your eCPM shouldn't be down).
True, fill rates have also been bad for iAd since 1/1. But should eCPM really be tied to fill rates? We're seeing much lower eCPM since 1/1. We were averaging $2.55 eCPM in the 2 weeks leading up to 1/1. Since 1/1 we've averaged $0.69 eCPM. The fill rate makes sense to me. The eCPM change doesn't.

To offer my own theory, the big paying advertisers are taking a break while you're still seeing ads filled with the lower cost ads that just advertise apps.

I was sort of curious to see if others have seen similar eCPM dips or if it's just us.
01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
Make sure you are using AdSense to backfill any spare slots that you can in the mean time.
Also, thanks for this tip. We were backfilling AdSense on a different app, but not on Cricket Words. I've enabled that now.
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Wellington
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.provost View Post
True, fill rates have also been bad for iAd since 1/1. But should eCPM really be tied to fill rates? We're seeing much lower eCPM since 1/1. We were averaging $2.55 eCPM in the 2 weeks leading up to 1/1. Since 1/1 we've averaged $0.69 eCPM. The fill rate makes sense to me. The eCPM change doesn't.

To offer my own theory, the big paying advertisers are taking a break while you're still seeing ads filled with the lower cost ads that just advertise apps.

I was sort of curious to see if others have seen similar eCPM dips or if it's just us.
Our eCPM hasn't really changed for iAds. If anything it has gone up slightly.

I guess your eCPM could have changed if the balance of where you are getting impressions has shifted to lower value countries.
01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
#6
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
After adding AdSense backfill to AdMob those are getting filled at 99.9%. Thanks again for that tip.
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.provost View Post
After adding AdSense backfill to AdMob those are getting filled at 99.9%. Thanks again for that tip.
On a positive note our MobFox earnings are doing GOOD in the new year while
iAds is almost 0 some days lately...

I have no idea what the actual fill rate is on MobFox cause they don't tell you.
01-11-2012, 08:40 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Morestel, France
Posts: 572
My iAds ecpm was amazing post xmass. Since it has gone down hill back to normal (well, almost still lower than usual, I guess companies are spending less on online ads after the december madness). Also, your ecpm really depends of the country your players are located.

01-13-2012, 03:51 AM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 301
My iAd ecpm is pretty much constant thoughout last year.
There is a slight bump up during iPhone4S release (sep'11). that's all.

But in 2010 the ecpm is indeed higher about 2-3times from now.
It dropped in Feb after Apple announced the minimum commitment
to iAd is dropped from USD1M to USD500K.
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
#10
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
Wow. iAd has fallen to the point that AdMob is actually giving us a better average eCPM. We've shifted most of our ads over to AdMob for the time being. Leaving just enough with iAd so we can see if this trend reverses at some point.