★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Pixel Land is a game that sets out to answer the age old question - "Can a game contained within only 64 pixels be fun, challenging and addictive?"

The Story:
Pixelman and Pixelwoman were taking a stroll through the park one day when suddenly the ruthless pixel gang kidnap pixelwoman right before pixelmans eyes. Your mission is to take on the pixel gang throughout 24 action-packed levels of pixelated mayhem!

There are gang members to stomp, gaps and lava to jump over, fireballs and pixel seeking enemies to avoid PLUS six end of level bosses to defeat. To help you on your journey, there are various power-ups hidden within blocks throughout each level including invincibility, extra lives and super pixel power!

The love of your life is counting on you...

Pixel Land includes Game Center functionality which adds even greater depth to the game, there are loads of achievements to acquire and you can try your hand at scoring the most points to become #1 on the Leaderboard.

Pixel Land is a fun and challenging game that will certainly require finely tuned gaming skills toward the later levels where things really get tough!

x999x's comments:
This is more of a minimalist game, a mario clone done in only 64x64 pixels. Its pretty challenging, and is based on an actual homebrew handheld from a year or two back.

I thought I'd share since its one of those gems others may appreciate. Also, get it before its gone, not sure if this is under Nintendo's radar, but who knows these days.

01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Brilliant game. That's all I can say. Honestly. Definitely worth your buck. Retina enabled, and even though there's no music, you can play your own stuff. My only request: Please change the icon. It's far too small and zoomed out. Something like this would be so much better:

EDIT: Pretty sure the person who made this thread isn't the dev. :/

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.

01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Nope, I'm not the dev, just someone who's been waiting for this on iOS

More info here:

http://www.bradsprojects.com/electro...PixelBros.html

There is also a level converter available on the page above which makes me wonder if the App's file structure is one that will use the same files the converter outputs. I suppose I'll give it a go with iExplorer later.

Thanks to the Mod for adding the App info, I wasn't sure where everyone was getting that code from.
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Just bought this. It's great but only negative is I can't turn the sound off! Even when the volume is 0 it still noisy!

Apart from that it's superb
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Just bought this. It's great but only negative is I can't turn the sound off! Even when the volume is 0 it still noisy!

Apart from that it's superb
Mute your phone/iPod, there will be no sound.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone, I just found this thread by a google search.

My name is Brad Slattery - the maker of this app. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I had no idea about the sound issue (basically because I had only tested this on Iphones where you can hit the mute button) I'll look at getting the sound problem addressed for the next update - and possible an icon change?

If I could ask the people who have bought it - do you find it to be quite a hard game? It's tough for me to tell what it's like for the new player because I have played it countless times while testing it.

Thanks again.
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Hi, and thanks for the App!

There is a bit of a learning curve for those not familiar with the way these LCD/LED games work when it comes to movement. It can look a bit disorienting at first.

I personally don't find it that hard, so it will be interesting to see what the leader board race is like. I placed in the top 10 on my first go without really concentrating.

One thing I noticed is that jump seems to be set to maximum height, no matter if the button is tapped or held. Is that by design? It does add to the challenge as it currently stands.
01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Mute your phone/iPod, there will be no sound.
Where's the mute button on an iPod touch?
01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsprojects View Post
Hi everyone, I just found this thread by a google search.

My name is Brad Slattery - the maker of this app. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I had no idea about the sound issue (basically because I had only tested this on Iphones where you can hit the mute button) I'll look at getting the sound problem addressed for the next update - and possible an icon change?

If I could ask the people who have bought it - do you find it to be quite a hard game? It's tough for me to tell what it's like for the new player because I have played it countless times while testing it.

Thanks again.
Welcome to the TA forums. If you've never visited, I think you'll find quite a vibrant community here who LOVES when developers interact with we humble consumers. I bought the game, and have barely scratched the surface, but I didn't find the difficulty to be off putting. I love how the retina display makes the simple pixel graphics fire off of the screen. I sincerely hope that your game escapes the "powers that be" and that you have success. I don't see this as a rip-off, but rather an homage...kind of a meta riff on retro gaming culture. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it. Anyway, good luck, and hope to see you continue to participate on the forum.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Where's the mute button on an iPod touch?
Oops! Must not be one...I've only owned iPhones.