★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Battalion

05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Battalion

Has anyone played this game? It's free and it looks nice, I love the somehow 3D yet retro feel to it. Reminds me of LEGO my old vintage arcade toy (I don't know what to call it, it's like a portable arcade machine). Some of you might like it. I personally love the looks of the game, but don't like the controls.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313065501&mt=8

ps: sorry if there was already a thread about this. I searched battalion and there was no result.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.

Last edited by don_k; 05-09-2009 at 11:52 AM.
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I actually downloaded this and thought what the heck it's free, might as well.
Actually playing it I have to say it's actually pretty fun. Gameplay it is just like Rampage on the 64. Graphics are neat too, love the retro feel just like Black Shades. Controls take a while to get used to though and can be frustrating. Not bad for being free though.

05-09-2009, 12:12 PM
thanks for the heads up, downloading now!

Bitter Bus:

First reaction : this game sucks... controls? nope. I picked the blob/gas cloud thing... can't figure out how to shoot... just keeps running in circles! No apparent menu, so you have to close out and then come back in...

then i tried the google monster, thankfully it has some sort of weapon, but again with the running in circles! I couldn't get it to move forward or backwards...

Can someone tell me what i'm missing? any positive reactions?

Plus+ ID: Wegmans

Last edited by Wegmans; 05-09-2009 at 12:17 PM.
05-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I dont know, I really just don't like the controls or fell of it. its meh...

Add me on Plus/OpenFeint/Gamecenter/Crystal: redsoxsrule424
Moderator at Com2uS' forums: http://global.com2us.com/forums
Moderator in IMO: [-MD-]soxrock424 in Siras, on Wadangka!
05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
The game is good in theory, nice graphics and idea, it just tries to do too much control wise and gets it all wrong.
05-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I will say that it COULD be fun, but just like we pointed out before, the controls limit any positive conclusions at this point..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I stumbled onto this this afternoon and was hoping to create my first thread, but it seems that I am not the first (yeah that's right, I searched, so neener-neener). I do, however, appear to be the first to really enjoy it.

I'm a sucker for 3 things.

1.) A free game that will help me kill a couple of minutes every now and then.
2.) An arcade style game that the entire point of playing is to trump your high score.
3.) Giant monsters.

I have to say... I like it. It did take me a few attempts before I got the controls down. After that, it's all about the destruction. The graphics, controls and sound (actually Googelon's screech is pretty cool) of this game aren't what you would call spectacular. But collectively, Battalion does bring a special kind of fun.

Plus, one of the monsters (The Vapour) is the product of a college dorm room party gone bad. I have to give it points for creativity on that one.

According to the itunes page, an update is on the way for tilt controls (which will only make attacking easier, making it the only reason that you are touching the screen) and speed improvement (which honestly, is very much needed). It's free. Give it a try. Right now, I give it a 4/5 based on a 'free game scale'. It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it is pretty neat. Hopefully after the update, I'll be able to go 5/5.

Tips for the controls:

Don't get right next to something and try to touch it to attack. Get a head full of steam, attack and aim down, then plow into whatever you're going for.

Also, forget about going backwards. Trample everything in sight. You're a giant monster for crying out loud!

The Vapour attacks the point that the monster occupies, not in front of it. It is intangible, so it passes through buildings. Swarm on the target then attack.

Last edited by frogtorch; 05-20-2009 at 05:59 PM.