Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Default The Hacker

TouchArcade front page review:
http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/06/the-hacker-review

YouTube: video

Last edited by CrunchyGamer; 02-07-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

This one is really cool! For 0.99 there must be like 10 minigames and some are retro-arcade-like with their own leaderboards... i think ill have this game for a long time in my ipod.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Early impressions.
The presentation is very nice here everything is all nice and sharp (on iPod 4G) it looks like its a collection of mini games and puzzles tied together with a computer hacker story. You start and you get a few basic icons to explore (your screen looks kind of like a windows desktop with icons on it) things like mail, network etc. and then you get a email from someone telling you what's happening and what needs to be done and from there you start hacking systems for info, which consists of playing a few different mini games (there's a one similar to pipe mania, a one where each node you press lights up the others it touches and you have to light them all to pass) all pretty normal puzzle game stuff.
You also get XP for completing each of the games/tasks and if your stuck you can use your xp to bypass a game and continue on. Or you can use your xp to unlock other games to play from your desktop and wallpapers.
There's a stats page telling you all the normal stuff link xp gained/used systems hacked games unlocked.etc.
So far it looks like it does a good job of making you feel like your involved in the story with text and conversations happening between the games and events.

Overall it's well worth a look for 69p
I love this stuff (pretending I'm a computer hacking whizz from the 80's/90's) :-)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Ive just finished all the levels and let me say, it was a pleasant surprise to find there is a "gift" and a little more to explore aftear beating the game; now is a nice option to load this and play a couple of times to one of the arcade minigames. Im happy with it!.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 AM

I noticed that it uses GC. Is that just for a leaderboard? Or are there achievements, or some kind of multiplayer?

I'm tempted.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Is this game more of a minigames collections, tied together with a hacker story? Are the "hacking" part the puzzle minigames..and there's bonus arcade minigames to play for fun?

The only hacker game I've played is Uplink on the PC, where it "feels" like your hacking into banks, government, companies... Is The Hacker similar to that? I'm getting the feeling its not?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Is this game more of a minigames collections, tied together with a hacker story? Are the "hacking" part the puzzle minigames..and there's bonus arcade minigames to play for fun?

The only hacker game I've played is Uplink on the PC, where it "feels" like your hacking into banks, government, companies... Is The Hacker similar to that? I'm getting the feeling its not?
Nope it's not like uplink (sadly as I loved that game) its more of a puzzle game with a hacker story tied into it along with fun arcade style mini games to unlock and gain you more xp.
But still I'm enjoying it, the hacker story tied in is pretty cool and for the price id say its a bagain.

And also for above yes there are achievements through game center. (around 35 if I remember right).
Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks. I loved Uplink too, but this will do for now.

../bought.

/offtopic.

If only someone could make SimGangster for iOS.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoresOfHell View Post
Ive just finished all the levels and let me say, it was a pleasant surprise to find there is a "gift" and a little more to explore aftear beating the game; now is a nice option to load this and play a couple of times to one of the arcade minigames. Im happy with it!.
I just finished it too. Cool ending, adds to the experience.

One thing though there's hidden IAP at "some point" in the game you unlock "something" and when you click it You get prompted with a enter your apple I'd password for a 69p IAP (there's 3 of them) I think it's just extra puzzles, not sure if it has any story tied to them as I'm not getting them.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Lol..nice to hear there's some of us here who's heard/played Uplink.. Old game, but fun. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
I just finished it too. Cool ending, adds to the experience.

One thing though there's hidden IAP at "some point" in the game you unlock "something" and when you click it You get prompted with a enter your apple I'd password for a 69p IAP (there's 3 of them) I think it's just extra puzzles, not sure if it has any story tied to them as I'm not getting them.
Yikes..was going to pick this up sometime today..but didn't see anything in the itunes page about IAP.. I'm not anti-IAP, but just want to know what they're for. But it sounds like you guys can beat the game though without IAP. A visit to their website doesn't say anything (interesting way they setup their website though. ) Wonder what the IAP is still..

Last edited by tops2; 01-14-2012 at 12:22 PM..