★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Rescue Angels 60 update out, but adds two unwanted "features"

11-14-2008, 09:27 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Rescue Angels 60 update out, but adds two unwanted "features"

An update is out for Rescue Angels 60 and it features changes to some of the levels. Having now played through most of it, I think those changes are good and add some freshness, but this update also adds two rather unwanted features:

- a new *flashing* advertisement for the "Rescue Angels Suite" after every level, at the score screen
- extremely long loading time

Regarding the former. I don't mind it having an advertisement for the "Suite", even having it after every level, but I really dislike that they've made it flash. It's pretty irritating. To be clear - this isn't a new screen you have to tap through, the flashing ad is just at the bottom of the score screen. It's that it flashes that is bothersome.

Regarding the later, I am guessing that what is happening is that it actually contains and *loads* all 400 levels that are available in the upcoming Rescue Angels 400 ($4.99), even though you can't actually play them! The levels appear in the level select screen but are locked and if you tap them it tells you that you have to have the upgraded version, and I don't mind that, but if this is being achieved by actually loading those levels, well, that is just beyond stupid. Whatever the reason, the load time is now insane (that is, the loading time after you tap to "continue" or "start over".)

It's perhaps also worth noting that it appears that Rescue Angels 400 will actually only contain 340 new levels - the first 60 are exactly the same as Rescue Angels 60.

Mind you, I'll probably buy Rescue Angels 400 once it appears, but I think they could have handled this better.
11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree. The load time is simply ridiculous and doesn't serve any purpose since you can't play any of the levels anyway. If they are going to do this they should make Rescue Angels 400 an upgrade for those who previously purchased Rescue Angles 60 and only charge 2.99 for the upgrade or something since we would be purchasing the original 60 levels all over again if we bought Rescue Angels 400.

Last edited by davidhenry114; 11-14-2008 at 08:41 PM.

11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
i also downloaded the upgrade, and found it just to be an advertisement for their game
and the load times...eugh

but what irks me, is the way they went about this
i bought the game for 99 cents...and it turns out it was a demo? [although fun, the 60 levels were worth the buck until it turned into an advertisement demo]

and now i have to pay an additional 4.99 to upgrade
and new users pay the same...so basically i have to pay an extra buck

this has turned me off from the game, i dont like buying demo's
11-14-2008, 07:55 PM
mess

They just had to mess it up
11-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I emailed them about these issues and they said an update would be submitted soon that will fix the load time. They also said they would address the flashing ad in a future update. glad to see them respond.
11-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I emailed them about these issues and they said an update would be submitted soon that will fix the load time. They also said they would address the flashing ad in a future update. glad to see them respond.
what about the cost to upgrade compared to the cost to buy new?
or did the early adopters just pay for a demo? and have to pay full price for the game
11-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately the app store doesn't support the idea of upgrades as far as I know. There is no way for them to offer an upgrade. I'm not really bothered by this since the original was 99 cents. I feel like I got my moneys worth. However, I would much rather the 400 version had no duplicates. In fact I'd rather it was 340 levels, then 400 with the first 60 the same as before. Also this would avoid the feeling you have because each version would have unique levels.
11-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Is the app even out yet?
11-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Unfortunately the app store doesn't support the idea of upgrades as far as I know. There is no way for them to offer an upgrade. .
they do have that, "download all free updates"

so i think they will eventually allow charges for upgrades
but i have not seen them

it just means that you have two duplicating apps, but one with more features
11-15-2008, 09:59 PM
The Recue Angels 500 is out now

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296402057&mt=8

I probably won't be buying it cause of the loading time issue. Not to mention 4.99 is a little much for this game. Plus i am a little peeved that the version i got was practically a demo.