Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Funny, I would say exactly the opposite: CAVE shooters have consistently shown that touchscreens are almost ideally suited for 2D shooters of this type. Personally I found relational touch controls (when implemented well) to be more accurate and faster than joysticks in the arcade (really!). And the fact that iOS is one of the few platforms that comfortably supports a vertical orientation makes it even better suited for shmups.

The reason you don't see a lot of these kinds of games in the App Store (and I would argue that that's not really the case) is the same reason why you don't see a lot shmups in other platforms: the genre is simply not that popular these days.
I agree. Relative touch controls are a very natural fit for shmups, and offers great accuracy. Highscores on average are higher than their original console/arcade releases, CAVE titles included.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
iPad (4th Gen)

Even after the above posts I would buy the game at $11.99, except for the fact that you know Taito will lower the price to $4.99-6.99 within a month or so.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Sorry, I don't "TOFTT." I just buy games that look good or intrigue me. If they turn out to be worthwhile I come here and tell everyone and then no one listens.
+1

Wow, I'm really disappointed by the reviews. For that price I expect retina graphics and universal. Otherwise, $5 tops.

Last edited by RCranium666; 01-13-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

We'll try this one more time: If you want to discuss game impressions, fine. If you want to bitch about the price, please refer to the OP. There you will find a thread where you can stick it to the man and trade coupons.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Just downloaded it, it is not that bad, but in comparison with DoDonPachi R. it loses. People who don't have DoDonPachi or another CAVE shmup should look there first. People who already have a bunch of shmups can consider it when the price drops..
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Actually, I can see this price totally working. Everyday customers will see $12 and think, 'wow, that's high for iOS. Maybe it's good?'

Hopefully it will help set the bar a bit higher and give bigger devs that lost interest, more confidence.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotwars View Post
If it really is that bad, that really sucks. And i say it sucks because we don't need even more negativity towards the higher pricing models. I'll gladly play that much for a quality game that doesn't come with a built in store.
You're damn right about that.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

this is a decent game and a bad port at that...now if they ported raystorm and raycrisis...now then i would be 12 bucks poorer....i run those two jap versions on my psp almost flawlessly...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Just downloaded it, it is not that bad, but in comparison with DoDonPachi R. it loses. People who don't have DoDonPachi or another CAVE shmup should look there first. People who already have a bunch of shmups can consider it when the price drops..
Basically, this guy says it in a nut-shell! Not very good in comparison, and Cave doesn't try to rip you like this! Quality vs. medioccrity! That's the choice you have to make. Gots to tell it like it it is....like it or not....
Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Funny, I would say exactly the opposite: CAVE shooters have consistently shown that touchscreens are almost ideally suited for 2D shooters of this type. Personally I found relational touch controls (when implemented well) to be more accurate and faster than joysticks in the arcade (really!). And the fact that iOS is one of the few platforms that comfortably supports a vertical orientation makes it even better suited for shmups.

The reason you don't see a lot of these kinds of games in the App Store (and I would argue that that's not really the case) is the same reason why you don't see a lot shmups in other platforms: the genre is simply not that popular these days.
^this

I have Espgaluda II and Bug Princess on Xbox and play with a dual X-Arcade stick; great experience, especially on a big TV, but maneuverability is superior on the iPad for both titles. Granted, the Xbox setup is closer to the arcade experience, but touch is simply a superior interface in every other way.