★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Slay Lite (it's interesting)

05-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Slay Lite (it's interesting)

Slay Lite - Free - 0.8 MB

Slay costs $5.99 and its graphics does not make you wish spend that much. The TA topic got just a few replies.

But now there's a Lite version that allows you to play an entire game (one island) and thus try the gameplay itself.

Graphics are just as bad as they seem. Not even different "peasants" colors for each team. It's hard to believe.

If you can get over this flaw you may find Slay easy to understand and interesting to play.

The board

It's an island made of hexagons. Each hexagon gives you one credit. If there's a tree the hexagon does not give you any money. Trees grow in the end of each round: palms along the cost and next to another palm and pines if there are at least two more.

Your army

Peasant: cost 10 and 2 per round to keep him alive

Spearman: made of two Peasants (just drop one over another) costs 6 per round to keep him alive

Knight: made of three Peasants costs 18 per round

Baron: made of four Peasants costs 54 per round

Gameplay

In the first round you mainly select your Capitals to create Peasants.

After that you can start your strategy to amplify your territories, join them in order to create a bigger one and try to cut enemies territories to make them weaker.

You have to remove trees to avoid loss of credits and that's an important factor so don't ignore it.

You can create Castles that will protect your area against Peasants.

Anyway, the game will always highlight the possible moves in other territories (you can freely move your army in your own territory).

Create Spearmen is not hard because they do not cost too much money to keep but Knights will require some planning because they can easily die (e.g. if an enemy cuts your territory and the Knight is isolated in a smaller area then he can die because the smaller area will not have enough money to keep him).

The key to the victory is to manage all those few elements.

Interface

It's easy to play. Some hexagons are harder to select than others (maybe my fingers). There's an useful undo. You have some hexagon set of colors to select.

The game (at least the lite version) does not provide statistics, like winnings and losses.

Conclusion

This is an accessible strategy game. Easy to understand, fast turns (not boring) and with some unique elements to manage.

The lite version is worth to try and it can give you more than an hour of playing because the game has 4 difficulty modes.

With professional graphics, better sounds and statistics this game could be a must have. Right now the full version may please just a few.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
05-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I saw this on Appsniper. It looks like a less polished version of Uniwar.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
But life's made better because of iPods.

05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Am I the only one that read Sway?

Don't check this site or private messages often.
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggrolls11 View Post
I saw this on Appsniper. It looks like a less polished version of Uniwar.
But enemies turns are ultra fast, something UniWar is missing.
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll give it a try! i kind of like those graphics, but not the $6 full price tag!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
i'm wondering how long it will stay $6... 2 weeks?
05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Am I the only one that read Sway?
Lol, me 2
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Thinking about it buying the full version - which seems crazy, because I'm pretty hard to please (something I've been trying to work on).

But first, 2 things...

1) Lite version is pretty fun. Played thru twice which took a good amount of time. I'd like to support the guy but $6 is a lot for such plain graphics (and sounds). I mean, dude, Tiger Woods was $10, ya know?

2) That being said, the game play is very simple, but addictive. That's what we're interested in, right? And replayability? This feels like it has that. TONS of games are plenty shiny but suck anyway. I've bought about 100 of them.

Hmmm, gonna have to sleep on it. Lets just hope it's not sold out by morning
05-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Looks neat. Is there much variety in the gameplay? I mean sometimes strategy games like this, all you need to do is apply the same tactics and over to beat all the maps.
05-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysfavourite View Post
i'm wondering how long it will stay $6... 2 weeks?
I'm guessing they released a lite version so they wouldn't have to drop the price. In any event, it is vaguely reminiscent of civilization, but lacks the depth of it. Still waiting on civ.