★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tired of the same old gameplay clones? This is a turn-based, campy horror-fest with a unique approach to gameplay via a mixture of RPG and board game elements.

Help young Henry Lee fight ghouls, ghosts, EVIL CLOWNS and many other entities (and yes, of course... ZOMBIES too!) using PSIONIC POWERS and a plethora of other items he finds along the way! Find enough GREEN GOO to help repair the ALIEN DRONE SHIP to save Pleasant Valley!

- Adjust Henry's MENTAL DISPOSITION to increase the effects of Henry's PSIONIC POWERS and other weapons to defeat a gaggle of different creatures, each with unique traits, abilities and special powers...

- Guide Henry through a large game board/map containing over 100 locations on his quest to collect the GREEN GOO!

- Complete side-quests, and look for clues as to the locations of hidden goo and powerful items!

- Earn points to level up and increase attributes like fight, aim, conjure, intellect, and others in order to defeat ever more powerful foes!

- Over 100 unique encounters!

- Look out for that pesky BLOORGIAN BOSS who appears from time to time you only have 100 turns to accomplish your mission. Good luck, Human!

- FREE to play!

- Compare your scores and achievements with friends in this gamecenter and open feint enabled app!
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I beta tested Henry and the Psionic Overlords and it is a lot of fun. It's a turn based world exploration game where Henry navagates a large world map to search for vials of goo within a limit of 100 turns per game. Locations are plentiful with some being locked according to "fear level" (increases with time or enemy encounter) or unlocked by other other. Many locations have a predetermined function (like going Home to heal) and all can be searched. Searching location can yield goo, enemies, information, or missions. Each location has some hint of what is contained there (I.e. a few goo vial locations are just plainly labelled on map) and often there are surprises (like goo hints or enemies). There is in-game currency to buy weapons accrued through completing missions or defeating enemies. Item locations are randomized and he game has a non-linear sandbox feel. There are spells/abilities available to use with conjure points (like mana). Combat is based on dice roll with dice outcome corresponding to a published chart (I.e. 1-4 suffer damage, 5-6 inflict damage, etc), wih a variety of buffs/debuffs available through items/abilities. There's a lot of detail to this game and I highly recommend it, one of my favorite games even in beta.

Free version has limited turns that accumulate over time; well worth $4.99 to unlock the full game.

Last edited by Red1; 01-13-2012 at 07:12 PM.

01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
This looks right up my alley. Anytime we get a game that focuses single player+RPG+board game I'm eager to check it out.

How long does it take to burn through the turns every day? (Do they recharge once a day?) If it's at least 10-15 minutes of game play a day that may make it a perfect fit for a slot on the treadmill rotation for me.
01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Edit: Just saw the last line of the first post. Liking the game so far but am wondering about replayability. Does each location always have the same monsters? Are the items and missions randomized at all?

Last edited by Fractalrock; 01-13-2012 at 04:09 PM.
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalrock View Post
Edit: Just saw the last line of the first post. Liking the game so far but am wondering about replayability. Does each location always have the same monsters? Are the items and missions randomized at all?
Yes - All creatures and other encounters, goo locations, items, missions etc are randomized at the start of each new game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puce Moose View Post
This looks right up my alley. Anytime we get a game that focuses single player+RPG+board game I'm eager to check it out.

How long does it take to burn through the turns every day? (Do they recharge once a day?) If it's at least 10-15 minutes of game play a day that may make it a perfect fit for a slot on the treadmill rotation for me.
Probably sounds about right -
If you are playing the free version of the game, you can have up to 6 turns in your turn queue at any given time. Turns take 6 minutes each to accumulate and begin accumulating as soon as you have less than 6 turns. You start each new game with 12 turns in your turn queue.

Last edited by HourglassSteve; 01-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Whoa!

I have to say that while in the beta and liking the idea I dropped out pretty early as it felt like a neat idea marred by a pretty aggressive FREEMIUM model (free to play but, unless incredibly patient, getting more turns, funds, re-rolls, etc. was all another IAP away). Now that, as far as I can tell, the one IAP is simply to buy the full game I'm intrigued.

I have nothing against IAP themselves, I just hate consumable IAPs and the general feeling I'm "leasing the rights to play a game". While I'll admit $4.99 seems a little pricey, if it then means I own the game free and clear I might be interested.

Have you therefore removed the ability to simply buy more credits and re-rolls as well or are they still in there as separate IAPs?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Just downloaded this App since it looks interesting.

The Full Version IAP at $4.99 just unlocks unlimited turns, the reroll and extra money IAP is seperate.
01-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I have to say that while in the beta and liking the idea I dropped out pretty early as it felt like a neat idea marred by a pretty aggressive FREEMIUM model (free to play but, unless incredibly patient, getting more turns, funds, re-rolls, etc. was all another IAP away)...
Freemium implies highly consumable IAP requiring repeated purchase. This has a one time IAP to unlock game with no restrictions or requirement for further purchase. Consider the free version shareware/trial/lite with 1 fee for "full" unlock. For those who don't want to buy the game patience is required but considering there are no other restrictions it's fair because you're getting the full game free just at a slower pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justln View Post
Full Version IAP at $4.99 just unlocks unlimited turns, the reroll and extra money IAP is seperate.
In-game money is acquired through gameplay so IAP is very optional and amounts to a quick cheat. At start of each game you are provided some rerolls but they basically let you rewind combat to repeat a prior turn if you don't like the outcome (this is not customary in dice combat games and again like cheating). Combat is not dependent on rerolls.

Last edited by undeadcow; 01-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Just had a quick go, seems like my kind of game. I do have a small bug though. I can't adjust the volume. The only thing I can do is mute the game. Maybe the volume is linked to the ringer volume which I have set so I can't change that with the volume buttons.
01-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't like that the images are stretched funky on the iPad. In this case, I think I'd rather see black bars so the aspect ratio stays the same. Or better yet, resized pictures exclusively for iPad.

And, I'm with LG. I'm not a fan of freemium games with consumable IAP. I'm glad that this game appears to be a single purchase to unlock the complete game.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic