★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Machine World is now AVAILABLE!

01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Machine World UPDATED - new video

Update February 17:
A new version with a completely rebuilt control system will soon be available on the App Store (in the queue since Feb 12).
Meanwhile, we have replaced the video below with a new gameplay video showcasing parts of the new controls.

Machine World is now available at the App Store!

It is an iPad sandbox game focusing on cool machines you can drive, fly and operate. Primarily designed for kids (or those of us who are still young at heart).

Among the machines are excavators, a dumper, helicopter, terrain vehicle and a few others. You get two big islands to roam around with canyons, bridges, buildings and various construction-themed parts to play with. It is developed for kids aged 4+, but appears to have appealed to testers aged up to 64!

Youtube link | Pop Up

You can find it on the App Store here!

It pushes the iPad 2 to the limit with a scaling terrain/performance system and realistic physics, but scales back for the iPad 1.

The official site with some more information and screenshots is here: http://www.trinogames.com

I would be very happy to discuss the game, and any feedback you may have on the trailer and website is most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TrinoGames; 02-17-2012 at 03:44 PM.
01-15-2012, 06:34 AM
This looks very interesting. I'm left wondering though what there is to "do" in the game. As in, what's going to keep me coming back after the initial "fun to just mess around" factor wears off.

Also, is there any IAP in the game?

01-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Decided to take a chance on this one. Kinda wish I hadn't. Technically the game's a bit of a mess, which is pretty inexcusable when you have only two devices to test on.

Frame rate is poor. A slider is available to set between graphics and framerate, but attempting to use it in-game does absolutely nothing. Attempting to use it on the main menu causes the game to crash repeatedly even after rebooting the device. Actually, doing just about anything in the options menu causes a crash.

The game has a voice over tutorial that quickly becomes annoying. There is an option to turn it off but it apparently does not get saved, resuming again upon each start-up.

iPad 2, latest iOS. Hard to believe this game was tested for longer than 5 minutes.
01-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi Gabrien,

Sorry about your experience!
Let me try to answer your questions and improve your experience!

Most important things first:
The frame rate & performance adjustment. The game automatically adjusts the terrain details (as well as water reflectivity etc.) to make sure you have a good framerate. It is not instant though, so after setting the slider (try setting it to the "fastest" option for example), wait a few seconds and as soon as the game senses that you have a less than acceptable framerate, it will turn down the details - and continue to do so in response to what it is sensing and what you are doing. Once you look at / do something less taxing, it will turn details up again.

With the slider set to fastest (which will turn off water reflectivity), you should have smooth framerates even on the big island - which in my opinion is quite impressive given that the iPad is a mobile device and that island is about 1.5 square kilometers with terrain detail.

What may have to be fixed though is the "aggressiveness" of the detail adjustment. Perhaps the game should respond quicker to framerate drops, sacrificing graphics quicker.

As for the crash - it definitely should not crash when used in the menu. I will have to look into that.

The voice over should *not* be active automatically unless you start the game for the first time (that info is saved to the iPad preferences file). If it persists, please try to delete and reinstall the game and see if it goes away. It didn't exhibit that problem on any of our test devices.

The game was tested over a period of two weeks leading up to release, on both the iPad 1 & 2. Testing was done by a number of families, so the testing age range spanned 4-64. We do take quality seriously.

As for what to do - that is currently up to you. The game was primarily designed as a sandbox game for kids. For example, my son will play with it in the same way as he does with his toys outside. Dig here and there, transport rocks (or building parts) on the dumper, etc.

We are considering adding missions (for the various vehicles) in a coming update, which I am sure would help more mature gamers get some mileage out of it.

Again, I am sorry for your frustration and hope that the above may halp you to get some enjoyment out of it. Please let me know if it did.

We are a small family company, we stand behind our products and listen to our customers. Rest assured we will attempt to fix anything that may be reported as not being 100%!

Edit: No, there are no in-app purchases in the game, nor do we plan any at this time. There may be a pricing increase instead in the future after we add more content and functionality.

Last edited by TrinoGames; 01-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.
01-16-2012, 08:00 AM
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for creating the video! I have a few tuorial videos planned, but this shows off the first island pretty well even though you need some practice with some of the machines. The aspect ratio of the video is off (it's squashed) which must be due to your grabber?

I spotted a few minor bugs too thanks to this, which will be fixed. The helicopter reset to the ship went a bit wonky, and the gravel dispenser seems to have sent out too many particles at once. Did you tap it many times by any chance? Once is enough, but the operation of it could be much clearer.

We'll tweak things like that in the next minor update, along with the controls which have been reported as a bit too touchy. We are looking into an alternative control mode as well for those who would prefer somehng other than joysticks. Thoughts are most welcome!

Again, thanks for taking the time!

Last edited by TrinoGames; 01-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Very cool niche

This is a lot of fun. I can see how it is mostly aimed towards children, but when teaching my 3 yr old son how to play it, i was certainly having fun as well. The developer has found a great niche here, and with proper marketing and missions added, this will certainly grow i popularity.
The controls really do make sense. One RC style control on the right controls the vehicle's movement, while the left sided control operates the vehicle's functional tool. One thing that needs TLC is that the controls are not in sync with the vehicle in that when you let off a control, the vehicle still moves a little..i don't know if this is a lag or similar, but when i stop using a control, the function should stop immediately. Not a big issue, just takes a few tries to get used to it. There are also things that you can interact with on the island, such as a conveyor belt/ rock chute. You touch the chute and rocks drop out. A tool tip or similar when the vehicle approaches the correct position would be nice such as 'touch the chute now and rocks will drop out'. There are many very helpful tooltips along the way which certainly help the young ones, and this is an example of another possible addition.
The helicopter is awesome. It is very straightforward to control. My son really enjoys this one. Some of the vehicles, especially the ship, move quite slow. It would be nice and more fun if the ship moved a little quicker, but i can see why the developer made it this way as it mimics a real ship.
You are able to dig anywhere, but i can see missions being added very easily. Different mound types could be added (boulders, pea gravel, sand) and a mission could be to move the majority of this mound to 'this location'. I think that missions would certainly add a motivation factor as currently it is just an open sandbox and you can dig anywhere. I think the kids would love to see a mound slowly dissipate and would feel a great sense of accomplishment with on screen verbiage like 'Great Job'! Kids work well with accolades. The current tool tips are awesome, and the developer put a lot of thought into them. Keep adding these though.
A few possible machines to be added would be a front loader/bulldozer; kids LOVE those, as well as a ground excavator. Setting up a mine-like atmosphere would be cool, and having the ground excavator digging into the side of a hill would be cool. A wrecking ball could also be created, and a mission could be to destroy this old building etc. A crane would be another cool vehicle (pick up this piece of steel and move it over here.) There could also be rescue scenarios; 'a sailboat has been left dead in the water'. The ship could simply drive to the sailboat, and the people on the boat could instantly drop into the ship or similar by just reaching the ship. Same with the helicopter. A group of hikers on the top of a peak are stranded. I think a mission system would go a long way in addition to the already present sandbox system. ie. with a bulldozer, move this mound to this location (marked with an X or something) just by pushing the dirt etc.
I like how all of the vehicles are instantly playable, but another idea to motivate kids would be to see a shiny bigger vehicle that once you complete a mission, you get this one etc.
If your kids like watching machines, don't hesitate. They will have a blast with this. Every game has learning curves, and this one is no different. I can confirm that the developer is all about growing this app, and that is reason alone to give it a download.
01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by TrinoGames View Post

...though you need some practice with some of the machines.
Indeed i do
01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
This looks like a great game, but is the framerate good on an iPad 1? Because I have the money, and I do particularly like open world racers. For $2, it isn't that much, but then again I only have $2.50 on my account. I was amazed at the footage played on and iPad 2, but I don't want to be disappointed.

iPad 3 iOS 6.1 32GB
iPod 5 iOS 6.1 32GB

Last edited by TakenXXDeadly; 01-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
01-16-2012, 06:08 PM
One important thing first, it is not a racer - it is more of a construction/machine type of game. Don't want to disappoint you!

As weird as it may sound,in some cases the framerate is better on the ipad1 than on the ipad 2. But that is because it uses a much simpler terrain system. So, there is a difference in graphics which is notable on the terrain and water. The game looks better running on the ipad2. Also, the frame rate will drop earlier when digging up lots of rocks on the ipad 1.

Another important difference is the number of scenes. On the ipad 1 you currently get to play on one island, whereas running on the ipad 2 will give you two islands. The "bonus" island is simply too big for the ipad 1. We aim to add more dual-compatible scenes in future updates though, so it should even out.

I hope you enjoy it if you decide to get it. If you do get it, let me know what you think and how we can improve it! (You can always visit us at trinogames.com!)

Last edited by TrinoGames; 01-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.