★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Virtual analog stick vs dpad vs wheel - why are people hard on to make a distinction?

05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Virtual analog stick vs dpad vs wheel - why are people hard on to make a distinction?

There's many times when a dev has one type and people start clamoring for another type.

Is it the aesthetics you want? I understand that they look different and the visual feedback it gives you when you move about also differs

seeing a wheel turn beneath your finger or a dpad >

Youtube link | Pop Up

seeing a virtual dpad "indent" itself when you press it >

Youtube link | Pop Up

seeing a joystick slightly below your thumb shift

Youtube link | Pop Up

But that only works when the devs actual put in this kind of visual feedback. Other than that they all work the same. Up is up, down is down, left is left, NorthWest is NW etc. They all reset themselves back to neutral when you stop moving.

So what is the big hangup when people get riled up seeing one type instead of another?
(Even in games like Caster all they did is take the free floating dpas and make them invisible. But that one's another story...)

Last edited by arta; 05-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
There's many times when a dev has one type and people start clamoring for another type.

Is it the aesthetics you want? I understand that they look different and the visual feedback it gives you when you move about also differs

seeing a wheel turn beneath your finger or a dpad >
seeing a virtual dpad "indent" itself when you press it >
seeing a joystick slightly below your thumb shift

But that only works when the devs actual put in this kind of visual feedback. Other than that they all work the same. Up is up, down is down, left is left, NorthWest is NW etc. They all reset themselves back to neutral when you stop moving.

So what is the big hangup when people get riled up seeing one type instead of another?
(Even in games like Caster all they did is take the free floating dpas and make them invisible. But that one's another story...)
Seeing the button react makes control easier

05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I prefer when the dpad isn't fixed to a place in the screen moves to wherever you touch first, since there is no tactile feedback, I don't have to keep looking where the dpad is.
05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuko View Post
I prefer when the dpad isn't fixed to a place in the screen moves to wherever you touch first, since there is no tactile feedback, I don't have to keep looking where the dpad is.
I think that helps alot, especially in games like CJS. Maybe having a dpad visible, but also including this feature would be helpful

Cobalt and Calcium- THE Coheed and Cambria fansite- NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!!

Waiting for- Bioshock, NHL 10, FIFA 10, Guerrilla Bob, NOVA, Sketch Nation
05-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverg View Post
Seeing the button react makes control easier
Yes that's true, but it's easier to see a dpad like Zenonia's or wheel like iDracula's react because the whole control area is showing visual feedback. You see the opposite side of the dpad you pressed "up in the air", and you see the whole wheel turn.

In analog joysticks the joystick is mostly covered up by your thumb anyway.

Quote:
And that option is cool in the few cases your fingers stray, but eventually you place your thumbs in the lower corners to keep your thumbs from obscuring the view, which is where the fixed controls should be anyway (well, except for Dark Raider).
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Out of the three options you offered, I would prefer a virtual D-pad. And can you add a poll to this thread please?
05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Added videos of all three control styles so you can see what I'm talking about by "visual feedback". The joystick only shows a joystick moving and it's mostly hidden beneath your finger. The wheel and dpad give you more visual feedback because you can see the whole control area reacting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks12thman View Post
Out of the three options you offered, I would prefer a virtual D-pad. And can you add a poll to this thread please?
I don't see an option to add a poll after the fact. Maybe a mod could help out?

Last edited by arta; 05-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I prefer the analog stick because the dpad for dungeon and hero sucks so bad. I havent played Idracula.
05-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I would think the best feedback comes from what is happening with the player. I'm not looking at my fingers when I play games.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Yes, that's the best use of the touchscreen. Why stick to old shemes?!

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..