★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A confession: I hate the IOS dev environment!

01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
A confession: I hate the IOS dev environment!

I've probably spent at least 20% of the development time fighting with Xcode(options/schemas/endless hidden settings/v3-v4 transition/bugs) and the never-ending pit of code signing/appids/adhoc distribution/keychains/etc.

God I hate the iOS development environment.

Love the devices though. It is just the development and publishing workflow that should be taken into an alley and shot.

Thanks. Just had to get that off my chest.

Follow on Twitter for Promo Codes and News!
01-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
It's really hard, and sometimes it's really frustrating too. (Provisioning profiles!)

But it's all good in the end, because I love iOS devices.

01-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohjingyu View Post
It's really hard, and sometimes it's really frustrating too. (Provisioning profiles!)

But it's all good in the end, because I love iOS devices.
It is a love hate thing. When it is frustrating you hate it and then when you find the solution you forget about it almost immediately.

Most of the deployment/keychain/profiles really should be handled automatically.

Follow on Twitter for Promo Codes and News!
01-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlth View Post
I've probably spent at least 20% of the development time fighting with Xcode(options/schemas/endless hidden settings/v3-v4 transition/bugs) and the never-ending pit of code signing/appids/adhoc distribution/keychains/etc.

Love the devices though. It is just the development and publishing workflow that should be taken into an alley and shot.

Heck, I don't even like the devices, at least the phones. My phone (and or at&t) is crap. My crappy Audiovox MetroPCS flip phone had voice dialing years before the iPhone. WTH?

As a dev, I hate many of Apple's policies. I don't like their computers, I'm a Windows man. I hate the stranglehold Apple insists on having over everything.

The only thing I like about Apple is that they pay me every month, and they pay fair. I LOVE making games and have done it for free for years and years, but Apple? Pain in the ASS to work with. I do appreciate the availability of the app store to small budget devs though.
01-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlth View Post

Hehe. If you hate iOS SDK, I think you should try developing for Android. Here's my thoughts about it: http://emir-bytes.blogspot.com/2011/...s-android.html

01-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Xcode is a perpetual cluster f*** sometimes.

The V3-V4 conversion really messed with a lot of people. I started developing on V4 so I was lucky enough to skip the upgrade issues.

The app signing process coupled with the provisioning file baloney has really deterred me from using the SDK.

I just hope in the next iteration of the SDK that Apple, simplifies things to a degree. At least the app signing, provisioning, and app submission processes.
01-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Compared to the Android SDK and dev tools Xcode is leagues ahead... Once you get used to Xcode then everything is great but developing on Android is a pile of crap.
01-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcā View Post
I just hope in the next iteration of the SDK that Apple, simplifies things to a degree. At least the app signing, provisioning, and app submission processes.
It is already a lot simpler than it was, but I also hope it gets even more straightforward and automated.
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I think it's funny that Apple devices are so simple and user-friendly, but the dev environment for them is so... Not simple.
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashdev2011 View Post
I think it's funny that Apple devices are so simple and user-friendly, but the dev environment for them is so... Not simple.
I've heard it theorized that they do this to keep the feeble minded away.

If that's the case, I'm borderline feeble minded.

Yes, I did it. I'm GLAD I did it. I'll do it again!