★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: **Limited time 50% off sale to unlock full game!** Featured in New and Noteworthy!

KICK ROBUTT in this new turn-based tactical strategy game!

A menacing space station has appeared in orbit above the Earth. On board an army of evil robots is being assembled to invade the planet. Meanwhile, a lone discarded Robo wakes up with a fresh perspective saving humanity! Can you help our Robo Hero escape the space station and put an end to the nefarious plot?

FEATURING:

3 Gameplay Modes
30 single player missions
12 multiplayer battlefields
15 powerful weapons and armors
Hand painted and beautifully rendered cut scenes
Professionally mastered soundtrack
Pass-and-play multiplayer with online turn-based support coming soon!
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Test out the first 10 Story levels, Arena and Multiplayer modes for FREE!

Pre-program up to 15 moves into your Robo and watch him carry out the commands in real time.

Arena Mode and Multiplayer Mode allow players to put their tactical and strategic skills to the ultimate test against up to 6 AI players or 4 friends in 2 different games across over a dozen battlefields!

Watch the RoboHero Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWx-r8fIdRE

Follow us on Twitter @BravadoWaffle!

"RoboHero is probably the most fun you'll ever have preventing the robot apocalypse" -Gamezebo

"An incredibly well polished debut with hearty depth and lots of challenge... give it a spin!" -iFanzine

"Its like Bomberman for people who like chess." -Snackbar Games

"...positively reeks of high polish!" -iOS Board Game Blog

BravadoWaffle's comments:

"Combining RoboRally and RoboSport into something wonderfully new!" -Gamezebo

"An incredibly well polished debut with hearty depth and lots of challenge... give it a spin!" -iFanzine

KICK ROBUTT in this new turn-based tactical strategy game!

A menacing space station has appeared in orbit above the Earth. On board an army of evil robots is being assembled to invade the planet. Meanwhile, a lone discarded Robo wakes up with a fresh perspective… saving humanity! Can you help our Robo Hero escape the space station and put an end to the nefarious plot?

FEATURING:

• 3 Gameplay Modes
• 30 single player missions
• 12 multiplayer arenas
• 15 powerful weapons and armors
• Hand painted and beautifully rendered cut scenes
• Professionally mastered soundtrack
• Pass-and-play multiplayer with online turn-based support coming soon!
• TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Test out the first 10 Story levels, Arena and Multiplayer modes for FREE!

Pre-program up to 15 moves into your Robo and watch him carry out the commands in real time.

Arena mode and Multiplayer mode allow players to put their tactical and strategic skills to the ultimate test against up to 6 AI players or 4 friends in 2 different arena syle games across over a dozen battlefields!
01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Finally out!

Wow, it's already out? This game needs more hype! After following the development of RoboHero last year, I was really eager to play it and first impressions are quite good!

Btw, if you were wondering the game is free with a $2 IAP to unlock additional levels and options, but you can play enough of the game for free to make up your mind before making your purchase!

The gameplay is quite effective, as you program up to 15 moves in advance (move forward, turn, wait, shoot, switch weapons, etc.) then press play and watch it unfold: enemies move and shoot at the same time, so whether you avoid an attack, hit an enemy or move around obstacles depends on how well you planned. You get a preview of the whole level before you start, and you also have a preview camera which you can use at any time (with a limited number of uses) which shows you the paths of nearby enemies. The pace at which your programmed actions unfold feels a little slow however, but that's a minor complaint, I hope there was a way to "fast forward" it however.

So far, the story mode gives you more options for moves and initial equipment setup as you progress through levels. Each level has three different objectives that you may complete to master it with 3 stars : finish under a set number of moves, finish with at least a certain amount of your health intact, or grab all three bonus items scattered through the level. Difficulty and length of level seem well balanced.

There's also arena and multiplayer modes that I've yet to play, but I would strongly recommend that you give RoboHero a try!

Edit: I know it's not always a necessity for an iOS game, yet I can't help but feel that RoboHero would greatly benefit from Game Center achievements and leaderboards... achievements for mastering a certain number of levels with 3 stars or performing certain feats (not attacking any robot in a certain level, etc.), and leaderboards for story mode (smallest number of turns to complete story mode) and arena/multiplayer wins... is this something planned?

Currently playing: Out There, Ledoliel, Doctor Who: Legacy, Sky Force 2014, Canabalt

Last edited by Maxime Briand; 01-15-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: additional feedback

01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Hey Maxime, thanks for the great review. We're really glad you enjoy the game!

In answer to your questions- yes, we do have GameCenter achievements/leader boards planned. We also have online turn-based multiplayer planned as well. Additionally, I have added your 'Fast Forward Button' suggestion to our list too, so hopefully we will be able to integrate that into the next update.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! It's a tremendously good feeling to see people enjoying something you have worked so hard on!
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I am early in the game and enjoying it. It is very polished and I am always glad to see developers posting here.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
im buying now! been waiting for this one to drop

i have a question for the devs tho, why did you only rate your own game 4 stars?

if i made something and had the opportunity to rate it, i would have surely given myself the highest ranking. i think this is the first time here that i have ever seen this happen
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanikal fiend View Post
im buying now! been waiting for this one to drop

i have a question for the devs tho, why did you only rate your own game 4 stars?

if i made something and had the opportunity to rate it, i would have surely given myself the highest ranking. i think this is the first time here that i have ever seen this happen
Haha, lol! We didn't mean to rate our own app at all. It was a mistake so it only felt fair to rate it one less... but now that you mention it, I think I'll change that to 5 stars since in my heart I know RoboHero is a 5 star game.

Glad you guys like it! Let us know if you have any suggestions.

Oh and if you want, here's some RoboHero swag:

RoboHero Cubee: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7360690/RoboHero-cubee.pdf

RoboHero OST (featuring remixes and unheard tracks): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7360690/RoboHero-OST.zip
01-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Glad to see this has finally launched, I will be picking it up pronto and reporting back in this thread with a review. I'll give you a shout on Facebook as well

Hopefully the All-Seeing Eye of Agamotto Touch Arcade will deem it fit to give a mention on their news feed as well!
01-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
Hey Maxime, thanks for the great review. We're really glad you enjoy the game!

In answer to your questions- yes, we do have GameCenter achievements/leader boards planned. We also have online turn-based multiplayer planned as well. Additionally, I have added your 'Fast Forward Button' suggestion to our list too, so hopefully we will be able to integrate that into the next update.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! It's a tremendously good feeling to see people enjoying something you have worked so hard on!
Great! I can't wait to see how this game will evolve, it's already a well polished release indeed.

BravadoWaffle, couldn't you add the descriptive text of your App in the preview post of this thread? It would help explain what RoboHero is about, as the pictures are great but can't describe how this is a strategy game rather than an action one... (unless this is what you had in mind?)

Currently playing: Out There, Ledoliel, Doctor Who: Legacy, Sky Force 2014, Canabalt
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxime Briand View Post
Great! I can't wait to see how this game will evolve, it's already a well polished release indeed.

BravadoWaffle, couldn't you add the descriptive text of your App in the preview post of this thread? It would help explain what RoboHero is about, as the pictures are great but can't describe how this is a strategy game rather than an action one... (unless this is what you had in mind?)
Good point! That is fixed now!

RoboHero was downloaded 2000 times on day 1! Thanks guys!
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
Hopefully the All-Seeing Eye of Agamotto Touch Arcade will deem it fit to give a mention on their news feed as well!
I think this game at least deserves a mention! Its doing something a little different, and that deserves some kudos!