★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"CNET" Not Allowed In App Store Description

01-16-2012, 03:36 AM
"CNET" Not Allowed In App Store Description

This happened at least 6 months ago, for some reason it just came to mind again now.

I was updating my app store description - I changed something very minor. When I tried to save the page I got a popup that said something like:

"The word 'CNET' is not allowed in the description. If you do not remove it your app may be removed from the app store."

The word CNET was already in my app description, as I'd quoted their review of my game probably a year earlier. So screw that! I changed it to C-NET and it went through

Has anybody else come across this with other non-offensive terms? Perhaps CNET doesn't want their name used on the store? None of the other websites I quoted were a problem.

Just curious.
01-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Maybe you should ask CNET about this !?
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
In the submission guidelines it mentions not putting other parties trademarks or app names in your meta data without permission (or something like that), so maybe CNet is one of those words that's flagged.
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
hi, I think you don't need to worry about this. The warning is only for precautions (notice the word 'may'), and the description will eventually judged by human.

I think as long as you don't use the word maliciously, it will finally turned out OK. Of course if you are still worry about that, you can query Apple's support team.

The simplest way is just remove the words if they are not a must. I once mentioned 'do you want to have magic powers like Harry Potter' in my app's description and also saw warnings like that. I just removed the words. Why bother anyway?
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
In our app description, I included the term "space sims" which came verbatim from a web review, and the form complained about "sims". Obviously, our usage wasn't about "The Sims" which was probably why they flagged it. I submitted the description anyway and haven't had any issues from Apple or EA. Like others in this thread have said, it may be rejected if Apple thinks you're violating a trademark, but it's not automatic.

Helle - 3D fluid physics blocky puzzler - App Store - Google Play
Dangerous HD - Epic 3D space combat RPG - iTunes - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack