★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: IGN:
"It knows what it wants to be a fun, simple game and it delivers on that desire from the moment you pick it up."

Pocket Gamer:
"Pure, frenetic, non-stop pick-up-and-play old-skool shooting fun, Alien Zombie Death is effortlessly one of the finest minis yet."

Eurogamer:
"With its knowing sense of the absurd and finely honed frantic playability, Alien Zombie Death provides the PSP Minis scene a welcome shot in the arm."

Edge Magazine:
"A fizzing treat that refuses to ever dissolve away entirely, Alien Zombie Death is pacy, mean-spirited, and delightful."

PSP Minis:
"deceptively simple, yet well-thought-out design, combined with rock solid gameplay and enough longevity and variety to make it worth spending our cash on and devoting our time to."

In a Galaxy far far away...
a Spaceman dies... horribly. Take control of said fateful space man as he battles to his end against the dreaded Alien Zombies! Using a standard laser gun and a few pickups along the way, make sure you take at as many of those Alien Zombie suckers before they take you down. Its that simple. Its Alien Zombie Death.

A slice of death, with your cup of tea

For those moments when you have a spare 10 minutes and are overcome with the urge to be overwhelmed by nasty Alien Zombies, this is the game for you. It's simple. The theatre unfolds on a random lump of space scaffolding eg. A bunch of platforms. The Alien Zombies come in from everywhere thick and fast. Retro platform shoot-em-up madness ensues.

Alien Zombie Menu

Of course, being Alien Zombies, they could look like any old mad thing... and they do! Green slimy fiends. Bullet Burping Blobbos. Flying bats. Demons. Electric do-das. Battle them with your trusted laser pop-gun and some weapons pick ups along the way for extra carnage.

How long can you hold off the hordes?

*** FEATURES ***

- Shoot-em-up platformer
- Lots of lovely Alien Zombies
- Top of the range graphics and sfx
- Special power-ups
- Earn medals to unlock new levels
- More levels coming soon
- Replay levels to beat your score
- Game Center and OpenFeint enabled

PomPom Games's comments:
Alien Zombie Death is a port of our highly acclaimed PSP game. We've added some cool stuff in this latest 1.1 Update. ( see below ) We hope you like it!

Reviews:-

IGN:

"It knows what it wants to be a fun, simple game and it delivers on that desire from the moment you pick it up."

Pocket Gamer:
"Pure, frenetic, non-stop pick-up-and-play old-skool shooting fun, Alien Zombie Death is effortlessly one of the finest minis yet."

Eurogamer:
"With its knowing sense of the absurd and finely honed frantic playability, Alien Zombie Death provides the PSP Minis scene a welcome shot in the arm."

Edge Magazine:
"A fizzing treat that refuses to ever dissolve away entirely, Alien Zombie Death is pacy, mean-spirited, and delightful."

PSP Minis:
"deceptively simple, yet well-thought-out design, combined with rock solid gameplay and enough longevity and variety to make it worth spending our cash on and devoting our time to."

New in update 1.1:-

* 8 New levels bringing the total up to 14
* improved control configurations. Both static buttons and virtual pads now supported.
* Auto jump option
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Game Impressions

This game was already amazing retrotastic fun but with even more level and control options, it can only get better!

One aspect I really love is how each level is its own little world with its own achievements and highscores!

The game's unlock system is also pretty clever. Each level has a number of clearly stated achievements to unlock (stuff like killing a certain threshold number of baddies, surviving a certain amount of time, etc.) with each achievement earning the player a medal. Unlocking later levels is based simply on the number of medals you've earned so far.

5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Gotta ask if this has retina graphics and if you're planning on removing that odd space with an exclamation mark at the end of the app title. I see it has a similar unlocking system to that in Jelly Pops and of course that has colored me interested.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Gotta ask if this has retina graphics and if you're planning on removing that odd space with an exclamation mark at the end of the app title. I see it has a similar unlocking system to that in Jelly Pops and of course that has colored me interested.
The systems are indeed similar but, unless I'm missing something, they do divulge from each other in some key manners as well.

In Jelly Pops it appears all stages are unlocked from the get go but only through earning various achievements in that stage will you then unlock new features in that stage (like boost and spirits).

In Alien Zombie Death, as I recall, once you have access to a stage you're seeing it all from the get go with nothing to further unlock within the stage. The point of the achievements, however, is that each one earned is converted to a medal with certain threshold number of medals needed to access later levels.

My iTunes Reviews
01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Some free codes up for grabs here:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=119921

Still a few left!

Also...
Thanks LordGek for the positive vibes.
01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Instant impressions for this game: it is a blast to play but on my iPad I find the control buttons to be too small.

Edit: I just discovered the control setting for using a virtual joysticks instead of buttons and this works much better for me. Great game!

Game Center: MarinasideSteve

Last edited by slewis7; 01-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.
01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Game Impressions

Great concept game with nice graphics/sounds and simple controls.

Addicitve and challenging game with Game Center support - 15 Leaderboards and 6 Achievements.

---
Marcio Arruda
Twitter: @marcio_arruda
Game Center: Marcio Arruda
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Another hit from PomPom. Holy crap, I'm really impressed with you guys! I'd be lying if I said the presentation in both this and Jelly Pops rivaled something like Infinity Blade, but both games are polished at exactly the right amount. This, just like Jelly Pops has crisp retina graphics that go perfectly with the gameplay...

...and oh my God, you guys nailed the gameplay (that's how how you do a segue, Brad Nicholson ). The button controls are abso-****ing-lutely flawless and the game's an absolute blast to play. Really simple, arcade-y fun that often feels like a shmup at times, and at other times feels like Super Crate Box. Perfect fit for iOS.

If I have to nitpick about something, it's (like mentioned above) the app's title both on the App Store and on our devices. If you're planning on updating, willing to make any changes to those titles and insist on having the exclamation mark, could you please lose the space in the title so that it's "Alien Zombie Death!" instead of "Death !". If you're going to get rid of the space, obviously "Alien Zombie Death" is fine.

As for our devices, it's something like "Alien...eath!" now. Perhaps have A.Z.D. or AZD without the exclamation mark, or A.Z.D! or AZD! with it. I know, I know...I'm going overboard, but I'm known around here to nitpick over those silly insignificant details.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Ahhh yes... the name.

There was a technicality that meant we couldn't call the game plain "alien zombie death". We took that name up in a previous submission that went a bit wrong that we abandoned... or something like that. Anyway, we needed to add a character so we stuck in the "!".

A search on google or iTunes without the "!" still brings up the game so we figured it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll speak with the other Pom, and see what can be done if anything regards the icon title.

Last edited by PomPom Games; 01-17-2012 at 05:21 PM.
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
As for our devices, it's something like "Alien...eath!" now. Perhaps have A.Z.D. or AZD without the exclamation mark, or A.Z.D! or AZD! with it. I know, I know...I'm going overboard, but I'm known around here to nitpick over those silly insignificant details.
I'm with you, the current, "Alien...eath!" looks pretty goofy.

My iTunes Reviews