★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Studio Zan
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 24.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: $8.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The popular Wii game OVERTURN now comes to the iPhone!

Overturn is a Robot Action Game reproduced for the smartphone using the Unity engine!

With a simple touch interface, you can play this robot game intuitively!

Players choose from 4 initial machines!

Using machine-specific special weapons and arm weapons, fight through the tournament and aim to become the Master Champion!

Features:

-Action-packed! Jump, aim and shoot while moving!

-25 Combinations of left arm, right arm and special weapons to choose from when entering combat!

-Easy to follow tutorial!

-Ranked survival challenge mode!

-OpenFeint integrated!

-Compete with players all over the world in the rankings and achievements!

-Customize the weapons you acquire and find a combination just for you!

Required Operating System:

iOS 4.0 or later

Supported Languages:

Japanese and English
(Will use English for all iOS language settings besides Japanese)

Toad In The Hole's comments:

01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
This game looks fun. Any reviews on the gameplay/controls? The game is a bit expensive to "roll the dice" on...I would like to hear someone say that it is worth the money.

01-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryweiser View Post
This game looks fun. Any reviews on the gameplay/controls? The game is a bit expensive to "roll the dice" on...I would like to hear someone say that it is worth the money.
On a 4S the game runs smoothly (I've only noticed a couple of sound hiccups -- otherwise it's 60 FPS). Graphics are not amazing, but there's enough detail to give each robot some personality. This is basically a single-player one-on-one arena combat game, but the weapon customization and variety of enemies keep it from getting (immediately) repetitive.

The controls, however, will be a divisive issue. Basic movement is fine, of a little fast. Aiming and turning are, well, a bit strange. You can move your reticule either with a "trackball" on the bottom right or by swiping on the screen. Swiping is pretty much useless, since there's a one-to-one relationship with the reticule, which means that you end up covering your target with your finger. The "trackball" behaves pretty much like a firing stick in a dual-stick shooter. You turn by moving the reticule all the way to the edge of the screen. The problem is that your weapons have limited ammo before reloading, so it's easy to empty your clip while you are turning to search for the enemy.

The key is to use the enemy search button (the binoculars). You can also turn off your weapons while turning, but it's much easier to just use automated search. The system could be improved by making it a lock function (and allowing jumping to break the lock defensively).

Another quirk is that when you get hit in a particular way, you are taken to a shape matching mini-game to recover your bearings. It's an interesting addition to the mechanics, but it does break the flow of combat a bit.

I want to spend more time with the game (especially the customization) before passing judgement. At this point I would recommend it mainly for folks who are patient with unusual controls.
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
EDIT: Question answered as I was typing up this.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
01-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Another quirk is that when you get hit in a particular way, you are taken to a shape matching mini-game to recover your bearings. It's an interesting addition to the mechanics, but it does break the flow of combat a bit.
O.o
shape matching mini-game in the middle of combat? That certainly is an odd addition from the Wii version (which seemed to receive mixed reviews).

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
the shape matching was present in the wii version. although i think the main draw of the wii version was its multiplayer. It was pretty fun.
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm interested in this game, but want to hear more impressions first.

plus+: Collokey
"Words/Chess With Friends": Collokey
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Game Impressions

01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
OMG mech game!!! BOUGHT!!!