Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Last I played this SC title, was back when the Dreamcast was still popul... oh, wait, it never was. It should have been, though Anyways, I haven't tried my hands at SC 1 for 8-10 years. Was there a story mode, one that is not in the iOS version? The "(Additional modes are planned)" gives me hope for either that story mode, if it ever existed, and even more so for local multiplayer (as I'm guessing online multiplayer is a fleeting dream. But then, didn't we say so for SFIV for iOS as well?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
The game looks incredible in the video with the retina, but the sky-high price IS a deal-breaker to me, and for that reason, I don't think I'll be getting it, though from the quality, I AM somewhat tempted.
So far, I've never stayed my hand from buying an iOS game that truly interested me because of the price tag (I did wait a while with Final Fantasy Tactics and King of Dragon Pass, but once I bought them, I realized I'd have picked up either one for more than the asking price, had I known what good games they are), but in the case of SoulCalibur, I probably would have hesitated, had I not recently seen my wallet swell beyond its traditional size So yeah, I get yer disposition to let this slide by, in spite of all the awesome splashed all over our faces by the trailer.

Quote:
Can you imagine if they have the nerve to add IAP in there, too?
I'm trying right now, and I canna say my brain appreciates the fried synapses and fizzling brain cells.

Quote:
Thirteen bucks for this and this may hurt sales considerably, I'm afraid.
Yeah, I reasoned around the possible negative implications of the price point in my first post in this thread. I really hope the game does well regardless, as I want Namdai to keep porting SC titles, as well as other console classics, and possibly even start developing iOS exclusives.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Actually, both multiplayer and story mode seem to be gone from the iOS version of SC.

But that really doesn't matter in the context of your argument, as I agree completely in that the game is worth $12 or more
Wha!?!
Story Mode's gone?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Can you adjust button opacity?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Looks like a solid port, Namco good job! Now bring us Tales of Symphonia
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Available in Europe right now.
I'll try a few options, test the iCade (to confirm if it works or not) and then go to sleep.

edit: so a few things:
- iCade not compatible. I'm not losing hope for a future update, but still: sucks.
- the controls can be moved anywhere. You can add or remove buttons (including shortcuts for hitting 2 or 3 buttons at the same time). Opacity can be changed, not size. It can be set during a round, via the Pause menu.
- command list is here.
- it's BEAUTIFUL. Moreso than the Dreamcast version; must be an updated one.
- 60fps all the time.
- controls are responsive; I played KOF-i before, and it's the same quality.
- no Story mode, no multiplayer.
- there are GC achievements/leaderboards.
- there is light bouncing on Ivy.

My advice: either pick it up now for nostalgia reasons (and it's great for this), or wait for an update with more modes/iCade.

Last edited by Nudgenudge; 01-18-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Yeah I got it , for 10 freakin but what can you do ? I am weak !!!
Anyway the controls are very good and I like how you can reduce the visibility of the buttons . You can customise the buttons on the screen as you wish .The graphics are quite good, the best looking fighting game in ios, not that it has any real competition. I never cared for the story mode so the arcade mode is fine by me , at least it has a true single player mode unlike the psp sc game . All in all a good effort and a good addition to the iOS library with the objections about the price .
Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Icloud support?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I wonder, how good is namdai's track record on releasing updates? Hopefully more than gameloft.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcizombie View Post
Yeah I got it , for 10 freakin but what can you do ? I am weak !!!
Anyway the controls are very good and I like how you can reduce the visibility of the buttons . You can customise the buttons on the screen as you wish .The graphics are quite good, the best looking fighting game in ios, not that it has any real competition. I never cared for the story mode so the arcade mode is fine by me , at least it has a true single player mode unlike the psp sc game . All in all a good effort and a good addition to the iOS library with the objections about the price .
Yeah, story mode in a fighting game, while nice to have, has only slightly more depth to the generic Gameloft plot, lol.

What's wrong with the PSP single player mode?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM

The fact they add retina support shows they at least put some effort to it, and this is exactly the kind of big franchise game iOS gamers were begging for at the dawn of AppStore.

Recent iOS gamers are spoilt with cheap games so they've become very cheap.

The price is no problem for me as long as it has a smooth framerate and great controls then I'm buying it.

It's a must have for those who can afford it.

ps: The graphics on the trailer do look smooth and good! I'm happy they focus on making the game as good as possible instead of dumbing it down just so it's compatible with more devices.