Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Nice game. The tetris/match3/word mix works surprisingly well.

While aesthetically, in stills, this looks a lot like a Zach Gage effort, gameplay reveals it to lack the polish and uncanny simplicity of such. Sounds could be better. The swiping to make words does not always work flawlessly though I suspect this to be less of an issue on the iPad.

The price drop is deplorable.
How is the price drop deplorable? We are left in the dark as to whether or not our game will be featured or not and it's proven that we can make more money off any kind of feature on the app store at a 2.99 price point. it's why Canabalt is still at 2.99 and a lot of other games have found it to be a nice price to settle on for a long term haul. As to our surprise, we were featured and we dropped the price to .99 to maximize that exposure and get Puzzlejuice into as many hands as possible. We are three guys. I did the art, Asher designed/programmed the thing from the ground up and Jimmy scored it. We're going to give ourselves the best shot we can, because honestly, I have to dip into debt before we get our first check from Puzzlejuice and I'd like to be able to pay it off and also pay rent and eat afterward. It's because of this that we had to set a hard deadline for ourselves and pull all-nighters up until we submitted to the app store. Afterward? We worked on promotional materials, trailers, marketing and everything else. All of this is done by us and I still haven't gotten a decent sleep because there are issues like people not being able to buy our game for a few hours. But I'm not asking for pity, just a tad bit of understanding that there is more to this than you and your phone. We love this game and we are going to make it as good as we can. Give us a bit and I'll be here on this thread watching for any feedback on how we can improve things on all levels. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Don't be too bothered by the price drop complaints. Anyone who loves iPhone gaming should be well aware of the volitile nature of the app store. You did the right thing trying to piggy back off the the spotlight apple gave you. I have no doubt it was the right business decision. The game is worth 3 bucks, people get way too worked up over 2 dollars. Sure it kind of sucks when a game drops right after you buy it, but we as consumers benefit hugely by apples iOS pricing structure that gives developers such freedom with their pricing. If given the choice, I am sure nobody on here would like to see a more rigid pricing structure. Every once in a while you get burned for 2 bucks, but overall we are much better of with things the way they are.

This is a tramendous game. As a lover of puzzle and word games, it is up there with dungeon raid as one of the freshest and best iOS games I have ever played. (I do play it on the iPad, so can't comment on the experience on a phone)

Last edited by caltab; 01-20-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiowu View Post
How is the price drop deplorable? We are left in the dark as to whether or not our game will be featured or not and it's proven that we can make more money off any kind of feature on the app store at a 2.99 price point. it's why Canabalt is still at 2.99 and a lot of other games have found it to be a nice price to settle on for a long term haul. As to our surprise, we were featured and we dropped the price to .99 to maximize that exposure and get Puzzlejuice into as many hands as possible. We are three guys. I did the art, Asher designed/programmed the thing from the ground up and Jimmy scored it. We're going to give ourselves the best shot we can, because honestly, I have to dip into debt before we get our first check from Puzzlejuice and I'd like to be able to pay it off and also pay rent and eat afterward. It's because of this that we had to set a hard deadline for ourselves and pull all-nighters up until we submitted to the app store. Afterward? We worked on promotional materials, trailers, marketing and everything else. All of this is done by us and I still haven't gotten a decent sleep because there are issues like people not being able to buy our game for a few hours. But I'm not asking for pity, just a tad bit of understanding that there is more to this than you and your phone. We love this game and we are going to make it as good as we can. Give us a bit and I'll be here on this thread watching for any feedback on how we can improve things on all levels. Thanks.
The app store is in dire need of being able to consistently sell games at above the 99c price point. Moves like the one you pulled greatly undermine buyer confidence and are (partially) directly responsible for running the app store into the ground and giving rise to the freemium debacle.

There is more to this than you and your bank account.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Bottom line is the game is worth the original asking price of $3. The developer did not need to explain himself, but he did; some folks will still bellyache no matter what. If someone is price sensitive, it is their choice whether to buy or wait for a price drop.

Let's get back to discussing this absolutely wonderful game!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
The app store is in dire need of being able to consistently sell games at above the 99c price point. Moves like the one you pulled greatly undermine buyer confidence and are (partially) directly responsible for running the app store into the ground and giving rise to the freemium debacle.

There is more to this than you and your bank account.
I would have to agree, I purchased at full price and now a price drop. I can see both sides of the story, but the ramifications of the actions of developers can be felt in future endeavors. So just be aware that you will be getting flack from buyers for your actions. It's sad to say but I am used to this type of actions, therefore I rarely purchase games from the start. I am not too angry, just irritated at the actions taken.
Like I said, I see both sides of the story.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Yeah, now this is a bit silly. It's two bucks. It's mildly annoying at worst.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

We've established that the game dropped in price by $2 after a day and some people disapprove of this.

Let's focus on the game now, before this thread becomes another app store pricing discussion.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I agree! let's move on. I understand your views Gabrien. It's something I will be considering with my future releases.

As for an update, we are gathering a list of all bugs and aim to release an update that resolves most (if not all) of the reported snafus that people are running into. We have an early jump on these as some of them came out while it was under review, internally. I'll let you know as soon as we submit that updated build for review.

Thanks everyone for your support!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiowu View Post
I agree! let's move on. I understand your views Gabrien. It's something I will be considering with my future releases.
Ah, if only all disagreements could be resolved this simply. Cheers. I do understand your position as well, and will admit it's simpler to "do the right thing" and hold moral ground when you are looking in from the outside as opposed to being directly involved.

In any case, back to discussing the game is just fine with me at this point.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

After playing for several hours, i find myself engaged to this game... never played a word game on a console, but it indeed a good, fun and frantic experience. Finally made a 5 letter word (english is not my first language but lived on the US for 4 years) and im struggling with the creation of words, some words seems invented to me as i click on the definition and theres no one at all, which dicitionary did you use for this game? and also, im wondering if this game will ever get a language pack, or even better, Spanish support