★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A quick and fun solo card & dice game of getting rid of all those tiresome friends.

Match your dice with your characters to use their abilities, use your friends against each other, and never be bothered by them again! Or at least until the next time the doorbell rings...

- Variety of themed decks with different cards
- Three difficulty levels
- GameCenter Leaderboards and Achievements

Check out
http://youtube.com/ifelsemedia
for game videos.

Lusmu's comments:
We just released my Ludum Dare 22 entry Solitaire of Solitude (in a polished form) for iPad!

The game is a card and dice game of getting rid of, or 'defriending', your friends. Relax with a fun and engaging solitaire with GameCenter leaderboards and achievements, five different decks and three difficulty levels! Check out the video below to see actual gameplay.

Game site

Get it from iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/solitaire-of-solitude/id493861730?ls=1&mt=8 for $0.99

or use one these promo codes if you're quick:
LMTRPXP3A7R3
NXMHH6YRFYAY
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I used the upper code. The lower code was already used. Thanks!

Game Center: MarinasideSteve

01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Game impressions

I don't usually enjoy card games much, but I am liking this game quite a bit. There are multiple game types, each of which uses different sets of card types and each mode has 3 levels of difficulty. Each individual card has a resource type associated with it along with attributes describing how the dice combination effects it. The main object of the game is to eliminate or "defriend" all of the cards based on your dice throws and strategic decisions.

I have tried several games of a few of the game types and a compete game can take anywhere from a couple of minutes up to perhaps 10 minutes. I like the simplicity of the game rules and the shortness of the games. The concept is pretty clever and the implementation is well done. Graphics and sounds are not spectacular, but they are good and get the job done.

My biggest criticism is in the instructions. They are very terse and incomplete. There is a link to a YouTube tutorial, but it totally fails to explain the game. I think the developer would do well to add an interactive tutorial or at least greatly expand the in-game instructions. Fortunately, the game is pretty easy to figure out after spending a few minutes playing it, so this should not dissuade you from giving it a try.

If you like card or strategy games, give this clever game strong consideration. Even if those game types are not your favorites, Solitaire of Solitudes deserves a close look.

01-19-2012, 04:39 PM

01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
This game is proving to be good goofy fun!

It took me a few games to really get up to speed but I think I've gotten it now.

You start the game with 5 friends and three resource die. Each friend will be of a class (Lover, Gamer, Fighter, and Worker) and list possible actions you can have them take with sufficient resources (Lovers are powered by hearts, Gamers by joypads, Fighters by swords, and Workers by pick-axes). There is even a nifty 5th resources type, money, that can be used as any of those previously mentioned resources. If during this turn you can power one of your friends' actions, that action will be highlighted on their card. So say you have the Angel friend. She is a Lover and has two possible actions, for 2 hearts she can "Defriend one friend" (so remove anyone, even herself) and for 3 hearts she can, "Defriend herself and a Gamer". If you have the current resources needed the action can be taken BUT they must be followed completely. Say you have 3 hearts and want to do that second option, unless there is a Gamer currently among your friends, you can't take that action, even if just hoping to eliminate Angel. it's a no go.

If the current roll isn't working for you the only way to re-roll is to add another friend (the very thing you're trying NOT to do in this game!). If you want to stack the roll a bit, there is another way to get back used resources. If you currently have less than 3 resources in front of you you can always tilt one of your friend cards (assuming they haven't already been tilted for this) and have them give you a resource of their class (sometimes more than 1!).

The trick seems to be ending up with only two friends and then powering one that will both unfriend themselves and that other friend remaining. While it might be easy enough to get down to two friends that work together in this way as your final two, the trick further is to then get the required resources to pull this off since tilting a friend usually only gets you 1 of their resource and most of the time these twin unfriending actions will require three of that resource...and other than tilting your only real means of restocking/re-rolling is to add a new friend!

I definitely recommend playing Easy, any deck (not just reskins but each deck of 21 cards has different combinations of powers) to get the basics. I don't think you can actually lose in Easy (normally you can only pass through the deck's 21 cards once, but in Easy they just reshuffle and let you keep going until you've cleared them all out) but to get the top score you'll still need to do all of this in as few moves as possible. Normal, among other subtle rule tweaks, only lets you through the deck once, and in Hard, besides even more nasty little rule tweaks, your score is constantly dropping overtime so you'll need to make your moves as quickly as possible!

5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Great write up LordGek. You have clarified a few things for me. Hopefully the developer will take note and add some detail into the game's instructions. The game is worthy of the effort.

01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Thanks for the quick feedback slewis7 and LordGek! We're working on an update and we'll be sure to make major improvements to ingame instructions, amongst a couple of other things (such as adding a new deck and correcting typos).
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusmu View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback slewis7 and LordGek! We're working on an update and we'll be sure to make major improvements to ingame instructions, amongst a couple of other things (such as adding a new deck and correcting typos).
Could the top score with a deck have three entries, one for each difficulty? Of course I'll get 97-99 in almost all decks if the Easy score is counted but that doesn't mean much.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews