Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default The Lighthouse HD By Kavcom Limited

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by goiMot; 01-23-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

From the description, this sounds pretty sweet. Anybody gonna TOFTT? I may, unless someone else posts before I get back from dinner.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default Hmm

Looks cool, but I need someone to TOFTT, soul caliber broke me
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I decided to take the plunge on this one. I got a chance to play through the first 4 levels, so I've really only scratched the surface, but it gave me enough time to get used to the control scheme and get a feel for the game. I would classify it loosely in the line drawing genre. You use the light of the lighthouse to guide your ships through some perilous shipping routes, dragging and tapping to guide your ships. You're given other assistance such as flares and buoys to help you along the way, but ultimately it looks like it will become a frantic game of time management. I'd compare it to Harbor Master, but with much more detailed (and awesome) graphics and a unique take on the classic (tired?) line drawing genre.

At this point, there are 30 levels. The first few are your standard tutorial levels, so in reality you're not challenged for all 30 levels. The $5 price tag is tough. The game is definitely fun. The graphics are great. It takes a tried and true gameplay mechanic and really adds a nice twist that takes full advantage of the touch surface. It's just that there are so many good games to be had at a price significantly lower. I have no problem recommending the game, especially for those looking for a unique line drawing experience, but I'm afraid it's going to get lost in a sea of less expensive competition. If the promised DLC is added at a low cost, or even free, then that might help overcome the current pricetag and add more value to the package

Overall, I'd give it a 4/5 with my only concern being the amount of content for the price. However, it is possible that the 30 current levels will offer more of a challenge than I anticipate. I'm still very early in the game, so it may turn out that my fears about content will be alleviated as I advance a little further. Graphics and the unique take on the line drawing genre are definitely the highlights here.

Last edited by CzarCastic; 01-20-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

CzarCastic: thanks for the detailed review. Please post further impressions as you progress.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Hi CzarCastic,

Many thanks for your detailed feedback, ourselves and the rest of the team are really pleased you have enjoyed it so far.

Believe me when I say there is a lot more to come in the following 26 levels! The first few are intended to be a gradual learning curve, difficulty (especially to achieve a highscore) ramps up a lot as you go through coupled with special levels at 10, 20 and 30 as you'll find out!

The app is doing well in the UK right now and is #25 in the game chart and getting great feedback - hope this and CzarCastic's great review can encourage you all to try and help us spread the word about our game.

Please 'Like' our Lighthouse Facebook page and let us know how you get on!

Simon
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

@barog - will upcoming DLC be free or IAP? Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM

@PraetorianX - We have been discussing both to be honest, we'll be listening to you all but need you to help us push the game (especially outside of the UK!)

Simon
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM

I love the idea and the graphics look wonderful. I have it downloading right now so will write up some impressions later.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Great stuff - hope you enjoy it BeefJerky and please leave a review on the store also!

Thanks,
Simon