★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: [poll] Siberian Strike or iFighter or NEITHER! && state why below

View Poll Results: Siberian Strike or iFighter or Neither
Siberian Strike 34 39.08%
iFighter 28 32.18%
Neither 25 28.74%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
05-10-2009, 03:03 AM
[poll] Siberian Strike or iFighter or NEITHER! && state why below

I love vertical shooters & any shoot em up type of games!
I've bought skyforce & sky thunder & platypus but none of these satisfy me...
However, I've heard these two new ones are pretty good but i dont wanna dish out any more money to get a miss.

So guys, whats your recommendation between the two or neither and state WHY, please say why!

EDIT: i know the price difference and i dont care, dont factor the price as a reason
&& dont tell me if i dun care about price just get two, i want a shooter thatll stay on my iPhone unlike those 3 ive bought before and never even bother finishing!

Last edited by ericxd; 05-10-2009 at 03:12 AM.
05-10-2009, 03:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to russiaone
Firstly, iFighter is 99 damn cents!

And for the 99 damn cents you get 4 supremely-polished levels, with 4 difficulty levels.

You also get three different ways to play it.

The music and sound effects are awesome.

It's the best 99 cents you'll ever spend on the App Store.

05-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Get Both

I would say get both, because both are a lot of fun.
05-10-2009, 03:40 AM
I have only tried iFighter and it is more than an adequate shooter and I am happy with it.

Siberian Strike, different from their XP cousins, so a free demo is required before I make comments on it.

Some would say that upcoming title starting with a "T" but I cannot say until I lay my hands on it.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-10-2009, 04:34 AM
If you must choose between the two, I would go with iFighter because the controls are done really well.

But if you're flexible, the best shooter that I've played with is Sentry Alpha. Here's the review I wrote several months ago.

"I don't know how I missed Sentry Alpha when it first came out, but this app is the bomb when it comes to shoot’em ups (shmups). While it looks like your typical vertical shooter, Sentry Alpha makes its mark with a set of highly responsive controls. Words can't describe how good the accelerometer is within this shooter, and the gamplay is on target. Too many apps put a heavy emphasis on graphics and not enough on the story or the actual gameplay. Sentry Alpha has just the right balance with a mission description at the beginning of each stage so you know what you're up against.

You navigate your ship completely through the accelerometer, and you'll find that it's as smooth as butter. The objective is to defeat the boss before progressing to the next level, but of course, you have to make it through the path of enemy ships and other obstacles. As you destroy enemy ships and bosses through each level, you can also fire missiles either through shaking your device or hitting the missile button on the lower right-hand side of your screen. The battlefield expands meaning the screen moves so you can move further left or further right; which actually means a bigger screen to play with. There are a variety of enemy ships and turrets as well as boss ships which while not overwhelmingly detailed are more than sufficient. Also, a separate bonus system involves collecting medals for additional points.

One nice feature is the storyline and while it’s not deep, it provides at least some background. Shmups tend to throw too much at you, and make it virtually impossible to succeed. For Sentry Alpha, the game is very intuitive, and the level of action is challenging and well-balanced so you're not completely overwhelmed and frustrated. A nice bonus is the statistics page that appears after you complete each level identifying how many enemy ships you destroyed, medals collected, and hits your ship took.

I can't recommend Sentry Alpha enough, and the dev has continued to provide updates that make this an almost perfect vertical shooter."

Last edited by Big Albie; 05-10-2009 at 04:42 AM.
05-10-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm waiting on a top down flying shooter that actually pushes the graphics of the device, sorry, but this genre is just packed with poor graphics in the Appstore.
05-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion albie however that futuristic theme of sentry alpha isn't for me and even thouht graphics were solid, theme wasn't appealing which was probably why the game was overlooked under a shootemup genre.

Speaking of Tyrian, it reminds me took much of Sky force and why I hated sky force was because of the choppy and dull graphics; wasn't appealing to me..

I'm still awaiting for iFighter or Siberian striker, both graphics as very solid and the theme is right!
05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
I really love HotField. Plenty of action, huge boss fight, beautiful 3D-ish graphics and BIG weapons

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
05-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericxd View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]
EDIT: i know the price difference and i dont care, dont factor the price as a reason
&& dont tell me if i dun care about price just get two, i want a shooter thatll stay on my iPhone unlike those 3 ive bought before and never even bother finishing!
[/SIZE]
of course i state the price difference as a factor because no one of us can know, what you will like or not and what will stay on your iphone or not.

if you like these games invest the 99c. just read the according threads in the forum, since you won't get any information here which you cannot get in the original threads.

why don't you try the ifighter lite version? what can we tell you what you won't know yourself after actually playing the game? thats not difficult, is it?
05-10-2009, 06:54 AM
If you can, wait for Tyrian... It's a port of an already hugely popular shooter and is in development. The developer has posted on here and it sounds like a matter of weeks.

One of the threads on Tyrian is here and the Wikipedia page is here.

Not only that, you can play it NOW for FREE on your PC/Mac/Linux by downloading it here

Wishlist: Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Swords & Soldiers, Tyrian
Playing: Kryzer Prologue, Flight Control, Knights Onrush