★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: JEWEL FRENZY is out

01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
JEWEL FRENZY is out

v1.8.3 is just released!

RAINBOW Bonus Item Added!

Download it today!
iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/jewel-frenzy/id493907886

My iPhone Games: Jewel Frenzy | FLICK THE FISH

Last edited by MarsApp; 08-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
The price is going back to $1.99, will post some codes soon.

01-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
has anyone tried this yet? i love match 3s but would like some impressions first
01-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Game Impressions

The dev gave me a promo code, so I'll post some impressions:

Jewel Frenzy is a match-3 game of the "tap on groups to make them explode" type, similar to the Collapse! games. There are a few differences though. The game focuses explicitly on combos as the way to get the most points. You have to keep matching one after the other within a short period of time, or you lose your combo. Additionally, you have to be very precise, because one misclick ends your streak.

You are given 90 seconds to make as many matches/points as you can, but there is a +15 seconds pickup that occasionally shows up. With this timed setting and the combo system, the end result is a very hectic and fun test of your hand-eye coordination and perception. The game is also set up so that when there is no match, it creates one on the board for you-- a feature I really like, because it suddenly turns into a frantic I-spy game to hunt down the one match before your combo ends.

The hectic pacing of the game is balanced out by having generous powerup rates-- bombs and lightning powerups (which cut a cross shape vertically and horizontally through the board) let the player save up time. If you can't find a match, you can use the powerups you've stashed around the board to buy some time and keep your combo going. This creates some nice gaps/pauses for the player to take a breath.

The game also has a level-up system where you gain experience to get +2% to your score per level, but that is all it does right now, unfortunately. Hopefully it gets expanded into something more engaging. The graphics are vibrant/easy on the eyes and the sound is decent, not too memorable.

If you're a hardcore match-3 person like me, this is definitely for you. It might be so good for other match-3 people who are more into casual, mellow kind of gameplay.

A few suggestions:
-Please add in a zen/timerless mode! I think a lot of users would want this.
-Ability to play in landscape would be good.
-Would like to see more powerup types.
-The leveling system is nice, but right now it is a bit bare. More unlockables would be great to keep me coming back. Even different themes would be nifty.
-I've noticed that I have games where I get lots of bombs but no lightning bolts, and other games where I get tons of timer powerups or none at all. The random chance feels a bit weird right now because of this.

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 01-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Hi SkyMuffin,

Thanks so much for the reviews and suggestions about Jewel Frenzy!

I think you are a really hardcore match-3 game lover, as I see you are on the top of the leader-board!

Your suggestion is really constructive for us!!

Our initial idea is making a "fastest" match-3 game, so player can feel exciting and rushing to compete with the high score. So, we totally forgot the general people need a "normal"/"zen" mode...

After reading your suggestion, I'm totally agreed that the endless/zen mode is an essential for a match-3 game. We will add it in the coming update!

Also, we're going to add some power-ups, so player can unlock them when they reach the required level/rank.

Thanks a lot for the support!! I hope you keep playing the game and stay tune for the future updates!

Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
The dev gave me a promo code, so I'll post some impressions:

Jewel Frenzy is a match-3 game of the "tap on groups to make them explode" type, similar to the Collapse! games. There are a few differences though. The game focuses explicitly on combos as the way to get the most points. You have to keep matching one after the other within a short period of time, or you lose your combo. Additionally, you have to be very precise, because one misclick ends your streak.

You are given 90 seconds to make as many matches/points as you can, but there is a +15 seconds pickup that occasionally shows up. With this timed setting and the combo system, the end result is a very hectic and fun test of your hand-eye coordination and perception. The game is also set up so that when there is no match, it creates one on the board for you-- a feature I really like, because it suddenly turns into a frantic I-spy game to hunt down the one match before your combo ends.

The hectic pacing of the game is balanced out by having generous powerup rates-- bombs and lightning powerups (which cut a cross shape vertically and horizontally through the board) let the player save up time. If you can't find a match, you can use the powerups you've stashed around the board to buy some time and keep your combo going. This creates some nice gaps/pauses for the player to take a breath.

The game also has a level-up system where you gain experience to get +2% to your score per level, but that is all it does right now, unfortunately. Hopefully it gets expanded into something more engaging. The graphics are vibrant/easy on the eyes and the sound is decent, not too memorable.

If you're a hardcore match-3 person like me, this is definitely for you. It might be so good for other match-3 people who are more into casual, mellow kind of gameplay.

A few suggestions:
-Please add in a zen/timerless mode! I think a lot of users would want this.
-Ability to play in landscape would be good.
-Would like to see more powerup types.
-The leveling system is nice, but right now it is a bit bare. More unlockables would be great to keep me coming back. Even different themes would be nifty.
-I've noticed that I have games where I get lots of bombs but no lightning bolts, and other games where I get tons of timer powerups or none at all. The random chance feels a bit weird right now because of this.

02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I came back to this thread to ask if there's going to be an update with more content, but i just noticed the FB page says you submitted one on Monday with endless mode.

Still enjoying this game quite a lot. Came back to it today after not playing for awhile, and I noticed some people had taken my spot at the top of the leaderboard...so i kicked them out.
02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
I came back to this thread to ask if there's going to be an update with more content, but i just noticed the FB page says you submitted one on Monday with endless mode.

Still enjoying this game quite a lot. Came back to it today after not playing for awhile, and I noticed some people had taken my spot at the top of the leaderboard...so i kicked them out.
Yeah! I see your score, SkyMuffin! You are mastering the game!

Although the sales of the game is not very good... but we recorded over 500,000 game played since 20 Jan, 2012. It is not bad for our first puzzle game.

Also, there are 85.64% returning player in last 3 days (hmm... we got very low sales in last few days). That mean everyone who own the game is trying hard to beat YOUR score!! But you kick them out again in no time... haha!

You are right, the new update come with "Normal" and "Frenzy" modes, we are thinking to add a mode with different gameplay too... as a TOP 1 player in the chart, you're welcome to input your ideas!

02-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Game Impressions

This game is simply fun and addicting as heck! SkyMuffin left a really detailed review and fully agree. For a match-3 game it is really fun and it has the ability to keep you wanting to come back for more, not many match-3 puzzlers do that.
Graphically beautiful with clean crisp presentation. Control, top notch and responsive. Music solid, but what would be ideal is iPod support, so we can jam with our tunes.
All in all a very addicting game that is a blast to play and beautiful to look at, buy it, it is worth every cent.

5/5
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Remember to download the latest version (v1.4) if you got a iPad, it is universal app and you can play on your iPad now!

iTunes Link:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/jewel-frenzy/id493907886?mt=8

Enjoy!

Last edited by MarsApp; 03-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Jewel Frenzy v1.5 is just released!

Let's get it now!