Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10031  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
ThePowerofLava ThePowerofLava is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 669
Default

Update on PC build:

Almost done with the hardware, now onto the horrible process that is the windows installation :/
Reply With Quote
  #10032  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Sheinfell Sheinfell is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe, CET timezone
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerofLava View Post
I got the OEM Windows, the motherboard, the power supply, the processor, the video card, memory chips, the hard drive, the disc drive, the chassis, a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse.
Not quite 50, and I wouldn't call me a computer scientist, it's more of a hobby. ( a very frustrating and expensive hobby if I mess up)
Having done that for a living at the beginning of my career (well, repairs, but try changing a motherboard on an IBM workstation; more screws than in Frankenstein's monster's head) I would *never* custom build a PC again, too much hassle
But then, whatever rocks your boat, if you have fun doing it, all fine.

@DBC: nice to hear you got into RPGs. You won't regret it, trust a longtime player on that.
You should definitely get the Spiderweb games as well: Avadon, and both Avernums.
All three have great stories, and the Avernums have a unique setting with a huge history (underground cave nation).
Those, plus Baldur's Gate & the Ravenswords should keep you busy for half a year at least.
And how do you like the singing Goblins in Bard's Tale?

@undead: That is quite the glitchlist. Makes me wonder why Freyr doesn't go and fix them. Looks like you do alot over on the wiki

Last edited by Sheinfell; 12-27-2012 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10033  
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 AM
undead.exe undead.exe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheinfell View Post
@undead: That is quite the glitchlist. Makes me wonder why Freyr doesn't go and fix them. Looks like you do alot over on the wiki
JediKnight mentioned that games programmed in Unity tend to be quite glitchy, so some of them might not be that surprising. Others, on the other hand, are just plain bizarre, but the majority aren't game-breaking just yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10034  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Sheinfell Sheinfell is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe, CET timezone
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead.exe View Post
JediKnight mentioned that games programmed in Unity tend to be quite glitchy, so some of them might not be that surprising. Others, on the other hand, are just plain bizarre, but the majority aren't game-breaking just yet.
Interesting bit about the glitchy Unity games. I have to go through my gameslist and check which ones are made with Unity engine, as I cannot remember anything in terms of major bugs that were caused by the engine itself.

@Jediknight: Do you have more details on that? E.g. where can I start reading up on it?
Reply With Quote
  #10035  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
JediKnight JediKnight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DarthGuy's Deathstar
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheinfell View Post
Interesting bit about the glitchy Unity games. I have to go through my gameslist and check which ones are made with Unity engine, as I cannot remember anything in terms of major bugs that were caused by the engine itself.

@Jediknight: Do you have more details on that? E.g. where can I start reading up on it?
The thing about the glitches, I used it so I know, the weapon going through walls? Well they can't have colliders (or for some reason) you're plyer starts flying. I suppose that is is because the weapon is PART of the character during play time. And the wall glitch? The CAMERA doesn't have a collider. It has a set rotation(this might be confusing as I'll probably mess up) meaning that it can sping any degree on the z axis, but the x axis and the y axis cannot go past "the ground" because it is never nessecary for it to go through the ground. Note that this is only a glitch for third person shooter that are kind of notwelldeveloped. You could put a collider on the camera easily.

Other glitches, like invisibility, grenade randomly falling... Well I don't know. But the animation glitch (I don't know if it is up in the wiki) I have a theory about. Spamming the fire button has to create the missiles and play an animation, the next time you press it destroys the animation but the missiles keep going. Eventually there "should" be a time where there is a missile over load and they stop playing the animation because missiles will keep coming anyways. This is very very truly just a theory because I'm 80% sure it is not right.

Undead, you talked about the level of programming that explosions not going through walls would take? Based on what they are doing you really can't. It is just an animation not any projectile actually blowing up (Which is what I'm doing in my game, I played dead trigger, realized it was. Unity made and then the developing process for me happened again. And I'm excited!) I personally think that that isn't much of what you call a glitch.

Back to Sheinfell: dead trigger and shadowgun use unity, excactly why I play them. Shadowgun is a third person that is well prgrammed.

Also youused unity? I thought you were a web developer and a harddrive manager but I guess you're just plain awesome! What other game engines have you used? I would like to know as unity awesome as it is, it's hard to make a third person shooter of it. (As I talked about earlier, like the whole time! )
Reply With Quote
  #10036  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Drummerboycroy Drummerboycroy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maine!
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheinfell View Post
...

@DBC: nice to hear you got into RPGs. You won't regret it, trust a longtime player on that.
You should definitely get the Spiderweb games as well: Avadon, and both Avernums.
All three have great stories, and the Avernums have a unique setting with a huge history (underground cave nation).
Those, plus Baldur's Gate & the Ravenswords should keep you busy for half a year at least.
And how do you like the singing Goblins in Bard's Tale?

...
Honestly, I'm not sure what my initial apprehension was about... perhaps the unspoken but suggested "casualness" of iOS gaming?

I'm in big-time now though! Bard's Tale is AWESOME. Aralon is GREAT. I've got to be realistic about my time constraints until May, when I finish Grad School, but after that?

Hello Avadon, Avernum, BG and Ravenswords 1 & 2...

I love the Goblins, but I REALLY love some of the "fourth wall" interplay between the Bard and the Narrator! Hi-LAR-ious!

DBC
Reply With Quote
  #10037  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
undead.exe undead.exe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,811
Default

I'm not 100% sure if I'm on the same page as you because some of the phrasing is a little strange, but let's see if I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Other glitches, like invisibility, grenade randomly falling... Well I don't know. But the animation glitch (I don't know if it is up in the wiki) I have a theory about. Spamming the fire button has to create the missiles and play an animation, the next time you press it destroys the animation but the missiles keep going. Eventually there "should" be a time where there is a missile over load and they stop playing the animation because missiles will keep coming anyways. This is very very truly just a theory because I'm 80% sure it is not right.
If you mean that the character's recoil movement for actually firing the rockets should eventually stop, then yeah, you're right: certain weapons eventually stop "recoiling" if you overload the game too much, and I've noticed that's what you need to do to start firing the three rockets of the Black Stars separately as you'd like. The Black Disk is subject to a similar glitch where the recoil animation starts moving extremely slowly when it's somehow been bogged down.

For whatever reason, though, when the RPGs and Grenade Launchers become too overloaded, your whole character just vanishes on your screen -- and all your projectiles start spawning from a predefined point on the map, rather than the tip of your weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Undead, you talked about the level of programming that explosions not going through walls would take? Based on what they are doing you really can't. It is just an animation not any projectile actually blowing up (Which is what I'm doing in my game, I played dead trigger, realized it was. Unity made and then the developing process for me happened again. And I'm excited!) I personally think that that isn't much of what you call a glitch.
That's more of the game's programming, right? If an explosive projectile collides with something, a spherical hitbox is generated where anything touching that hitbox incurs damage from the explosion -- the explosion going through walls is because the sphere's hitbox overlaps with and passes through nearby walls. I would think you could program the hitbox's shape to change depending on whether it's touching anything else, but to do that, the game's going to require a higher quality of programming which seems beyond SW's current standards -- and it'd probably cause some serious framerate/processing issues for the game to handle those sort of calculations (imagine what happens if the game had to frequently modify the hitbox shapes of multiple explosions if you're firing the Trinity at the ground, for example).

The explosion is a preset graphic which won't change according to what's around it, I know. I don't remember calling this one a glitch, because I don't think it's really something beyond what the programmers intended.

Similarly speaking, the RPG Combo itself shouldn't be a glitch, because that's simply firing slow weapons one after another. Quickdrawing and Twin Sniping, on the other hand, I'm not too sure of, because they exploit the quirky programming behind the firing mechanisms of the sniper rifles and the machine guns/laser cannon...

Last edited by undead.exe; 12-27-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10038  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
JediKnight JediKnight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DarthGuy's Deathstar
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead.exe View Post
I'm not 100% sure if I'm on the same page as you because some of the phrasing is a little strange, but let's see if I am...

If you mean that the character's recoil movement for actually firing the rockets should eventually stop, then yeah, you're right: certain weapons eventually stop "recoiling" if you overload the game too much, and I've noticed that's what you need to do to start firing the three rockets of the Black Stars separately as you'd like. The Black Disk is subject to a similar glitch where the recoil animation starts moving extremely slowly when it's somehow been bogged down.

For whatever reason, though, when the RPGs and Grenade Launchers become too overloaded, your whole character just vanishes on your screen -- and all your projectiles start spawning from a predefined point on the map, rather than the tip of your weapon.

That's more of the game's programming, right? If an explosive projectile collides with something, a spherical hitbox is generated where anything touching that hitbox incurs damage from the explosion -- the explosion going through walls is because the sphere's hitbox overlaps with and passes through nearby walls. I would think you could program the hitbox's shape to change depending on whether it's touching anything else, but to do that, the game's going to require a higher quality of programming which seems beyond SW's current standards -- and it'd probably cause some serious framerate/processing issues for the game to handle those sort of calculations (imagine what happens if the game had to frequently modify the hitbox shapes of multiple explosions if you're firing the Trinity at the ground, for example).

The explosion is a preset graphic which won't change according to what's around it, I know. I don't remember calling this one a glitch, because I don't think it's really something beyond what the programmers intended.

Similarly speaking, the RPG Combo itself shouldn't be a glitch, because that's simply firing slow weapons one after another. Quickdrawing and Twin Sniping, on the other hand, I'm not too sure of, because they exploit the quirky programming behind the firing mechanisms of the sniper rifles and the machine guns/laser cannon...
Yep, except that the programmees could just create projectiles flying from the explosion instead of just a particle system. Then when the projectiles fly out and hit something they cause damage and disappear or against a wall they would just disappear.
Reply With Quote
  #10039  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
ThePowerofLava ThePowerofLava is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 669
Default

IT'S DONE!!

After an entire night of loading bars, error screens, and odd responses, I have windows installed and my computer is complete!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (281.4 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10040  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
undead.exe undead.exe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerofLava View Post
IT'S DONE!!

After an entire night of loading bars, error screens, and odd responses, I have windows installed and my computer is complete!!
Good grief, well done you hardcore tech-head
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent