Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead.exe View Post
In exchange for sharper graphics, the actual text and language is slightly off in the English version, so there's sorta a trade-off either way
yes, that does happen. but still, it's not about the text. you trade off the graphics, then you simply take something out of the game.

I simply don't understand, just why do you have to make Chinese stuff look worse?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow0x View Post
yes, that does happen. but still, it's not about the text. you trade off the graphics, then you simply take something out of the game.

I simply don't understand, just why do you have to make Chinese stuff look worse?
See, I don't think they deliberately made it worse: what I think happened was one of the following two possibilities:

a) The Chinese version is a repackaged version of the English game, and some of the graphic quality suffered upon recompression. To get an idea of what I mean, open a jpeg file in an image editor, and then save it as another jpeg file -- it's compressed a second time, which causes some degeneration in quality.

b) Alternatively, the Chinese version of the app came first, and it's actually the English version of the game which is the newer and improved version. A sign which supports this theory includes the fact that the textures are rendered at a higher quality in the English version of the app, suggesting that the English version was re-optimized for the iPad 3 (you likely won't notice the graphical differences on a smaller device like an iPod Touch). Additionally, the Chinese version of the app is slightly bigger than the English version, which is what can happen when you keep on saving over an old archive, as opposed to putting all your raw data into a new archive and saving it as a new file (try saving a powerpoint file multiple times, and it'll gradually get bigger and bigger, even if you're not adding new content).

-------------

Still, it's something worth asking Freyr about, given that it's effectively the same game: I'm not even sure if they've noticed themselves, given that I actually confirmed it by swiping between the two apps while they were both active. I'm just exploring both of them and trying to find the differences, though it looks like the actual way the game runs is pretty much the same -- I even got my current save file to sync over onto the Chinese version, so it's definitely the same core game.

Last edited by undead.exe; 11-21-2012 at 05:11 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Still, it's something worth asking Freyr about, given that it's effectively the same game: I'm not even sure if they've noticed themselves, given that I actually confirmed it by swiping between the two apps while they were both active. I'm just exploring both of them and trying to find the differences, though it looks like the actual way the game runs is pretty much the same -- I even got my current save file to sync over onto the Chinese version, so it's definitely the same core game.
That begs the question:

So if the games themselves are compatible and able to sync saves between them, why aren't the servers the same way?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerofLava View Post
That begs the question:

So if the games themselves are compatible and able to sync saves between them, why aren't the servers the same way?
The games themselves are essentially identical app files with some modifications to the user-interface. It's sort of like renaming Google Chrome into something like "Chrome Browser" and making everything display in a different language, but the core functions and protocols are absolutely identical.

You don't need to go to the AppStore of a different region to download the Chinese version of the game: both the English and Chinese versions should be available from most AppStores (I daresay Asia can probably download both as well). Still though, an email to Freyr about the player segregation sounds like a good idea, we've been guessing at it for plenty long enough on our own now...

--------------

I actually remember someone saying somewhere that he suddenly couldn't play with his friend, and he had been holidaying in Asia at that time when he asked for help. It's definitely not the English/Chinese app version that's causing the segregation -- it's something else.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Im back!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI

That does it -- we need a bike to go with the Phoenix Armour.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

its me
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2theman View Post
its me
hey ther!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The games themselves are essentially identical app files with some modifications to the user-interface. It's sort of like renaming Google Chrome into something like "Chrome Browser" and making everything display in a different language, but the core functions and protocols are absolutely identical.

You don't need to go to the AppStore of a different region to download the Chinese version of the game: both the English and Chinese versions should be available from most AppStores (I daresay Asia can probably download both as well). Still though, an email to Freyr about the player segregation sounds like a good idea, we've been guessing at it for plenty long enough on our own now...

--------------

I actually remember someone saying somewhere that he suddenly couldn't play with his friend, and he had been holidaying in Asia at that time when he asked for help. It's definitely not the English/Chinese app version that's causing the segregation -- it's something else.
I've been thinking... Why doesn't freyr just make settings in 1 app?
At first I thought that you would need IAP twice for both games and stuff. That made a tiny bit of sense but still a tiny bit.
But now... (since they share save files.)
Im thinking this is totally unrelated to the segregation... Maybe they couldn't get a big enough server for the segregation... Interesting, they share savefiles. *hmmph*

Ehh enough thinking for 2 minutes.

Last edited by JediKnight; 11-21-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2theman View Post
its me
Hi man.