★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

W.E.L.D.E.R. vs PuzzleJuice

View Poll Results: If you've played both, which do you prefer?
I prefer W.E.L.D.E.R 10 37.04%
I prefer PuzzleJuice 13 48.15%
I like them both 4 14.81%
I don't like either (but like word games) 0 0%
I dont like either (don't like word games) 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
W.E.L.D.E.R. vs PuzzleJuice

I have both games, W.E.L.D.E.R. and PuzzleJuice and I have been reading the PuzzleJuice thread recently. I noticed people love PuzzleJuice and they love it more than W.E.L.D.E.R. I, on the other hand, like W.E.L.D.E.R. more. I think it's because I'm not much of a Tetris fan and also, I'm not the best at word games.

I think that W.E.L.D.E.R. is more for people who like slower word games where they get to plan out their strategy, whereas PuzzleJuice is an intense, fast-paced word game. I'm not saying that PuzzleJuice is bad. I just like W.E.L.D.E.R. more than PuzzleJuice.

So, my question is which game do you guys like better: W.E.L.D.E.R. or PuzzleJuice? And why?

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Hard to put my hands on it, but for some reason I just find Puzzlejuice more fun. W.E.L.D.E.R. is definately more polished and if you don't like puzzle games like Tetris, it's the obvious choice for word fans.

BUT for some reason, I'm not a huge Tetris fan and I'm not usually great by any means at word games, but still like Puzzlejuice better. Think it's just the faster pace.

W.E.L.D.E.R. games can take a lot longer and the more pick-up-and-play nature of Puzzlejuice makes it fun.

It's also not quite as hard as Tetris since it shows you where the pieces are going to go. The match-three elements to gain letters also adds to it.

Just think it all came together and added up to be more addictive to me. Not that WELDER is a bad game by any means.

01-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Would it be relevant to include Spelltower in the discussion?

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
i like puzzlejuice more
01-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Would it be relevant to include Spelltower in the discussion?
Hmmm.. Is it a good game? I heard it was but, I don't wanna waste money on just pure speculation!

01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Btw, I do like PuzzleJuice. It is a great, fun, creative game but I just seem to have more excitement with W.E.L.D.E.R.!

01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Spelltower, but I love both W.E.L.D.E.R and PuzzleJuice.

W.E.L.D.E.R would probably keep my attention in the long term, because it's easier to pickup and play for a short period and then come back to later. But PuzzleJuice is a fun new twist on word games.

If I'm forced to rank them:
1st. W.E.L.D.E.R
2nd. PuzzleJuice
3rd. Spelltower

01-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Oh, thx to the mod who put the poll up btw!

EDIT: Red1's vote counts for 10 votes. Haha, jk.

01-22-2012, 02:42 AM
These are both good games, but it's been interesting to watch Puzzlejuice's absolutely meteoric rise into the top tier. It literally hadn't been released for 24 hours before garnering 50+ 5-star reviews and many enthusiastic endorsements.

W.E.L.D.E.R., by contrast, had a more human-scale introduction. It gradually gathered steam as people tried it and enjoyed it. In the end it reached approximately the same level of popularity and mind-share, but at least the debut followed a comprehensible trajectory.

I would love to know more about what was behind Puzzlejuice's jet-propelled success. I am not in any way suggesting that anything nefarious occurred. To the contrary, there's an art to seeding and introducing a game, just as there is to writing one. Whatever the devs did to support the launch, it worked well to gain visibility during the crucial launch window.

Colaboratory, the developer of Puzzlejuice, has had only one prior release, Semi-Automatic. It's been out for 8 months or so with only 15 reviews, albeit all 5-star. Quite a difference.

(Or are people just so Tetris-crazy that they'll snap up anything with a Tetris element?)
01-22-2012, 03:24 AM
I haven't tried W.E.L.D.E.R. yet, but I have both Spelltower and Puzzlejuice. Spelltower I picked up because it got such glowing reviews from most websites. I was actually a bit disappointed by it... for some reason I didn't find it as fun as I hoped.

Puzzlejuice, on the other hand, I picked up based on the interesting art style, unique gameplay (the whole of its parts, anyway), and glowing reviews in the forums. It's probably the best 99 cents I ever spent, as it's my favorite puzzle game now. And I usually hate Tetris clones and Match 3 games, which is weird. Anyway, please get this game.

My band just released an album! iTunes / Facebook