★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft's answer to the recent backlash against freemium's titles.

01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Gameloft's answer to the recent backlash against freemium titles.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multi...ws.asp?c=37152

"We experienced quite some backlash on this one for a few reasons. The first was because of the freemium model, where Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2 fans were expecting something premium.

The second was because of the gameplay and storyline. To match the freemium business model, we tweaked the gameplay and removed the storyline / exploration phase."

"we don't believe freemium will overtake everything."

"Those two elements - the quality of the device and the competition of the freemium games - mean that we need to focus on key segments on the paymium side to ensure that we can balance our investment."

They seem really honest and they answer quite a lot of hard questions.

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.

Last edited by killercow; 01-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't like all these words they keep inventing. Paymium?!

Still, I'm glad they aren't 100% determined to make 'freemium' work for them. They can go back to making their usual games.

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.

01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't mind it. It seems like they truly get where the premium gamers are coming from,as far as the backlash is concerned. As long as they still make the paymium NOVA and modern combats,I'll stay a Gameloft fan. Also Order and Chaos was a great game when I had time to play.
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Interesting article, although he kind of contradicts himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzague De Vallois
We have to explain that there are different business models for the different audiences, and we will keep this premium line-up and we will have this freemium branch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzague De Vallois
In fact, for us, there are two lines of business: freemium and paymium. There won't be any pure premium, but there will always be an opportunity to download new levels, etc.
I'm disappointed Gameloft doesn't plan on making any more premium games as they used to. But at least they are continuing to make "paymium" games (or so they say).

Hakuna Matata
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Interesting article, although he kind of contradicts himself.

I'm disappointed Gameloft doesn't plan on making any more premium games as they used to. But at least they are continuing to make "paymium" games (or so they say).
I think he is seeing modern combat 3 as a paymium game. It's got both iap and a premium price tag.

01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
I think he is seeing modern combat 3 as a paymium game. It's got both iap and a premium price tag.
That's what I think too. And it works! They didn't ruin the balancing too much in MC3 because you still have to unlock stuff by leveling up. The only problem was the killstreak cheaters...

Paymium is fine as long as it doesen't make a game unbalanced.
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Gameloft makes some of the best iPhone games out there, But I am with most people I do not like the free-to-play games they are doing.
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Gameloft need to improve the quality of their releases. Of all the gameloft's gmes that i've played only modern combat 3 strikes me as an AAA ios title .
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
That's what I think too. And it works! They didn't ruin the balancing too much in MC3 because you still have to unlock stuff by leveling up. The only problem was the killstreak cheaters...

Paymium is fine as long as it doesen't make a game unbalanced.
Yeah exactly! Let's hope their first UE title will be of that quality : )

01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Yeah exactly! Let's hope their first UE title will be of that quality : )
I really don't care what engine they use. With Modern Combat 3 they have prooven that their own engine can do some pretty impressive stuff. (And unlike most Unreal Engine games MC3 doesn't take two minutes to start)