★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How to get started and learn to program?

01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
How to get started and learn to program?

I have been wanting to do this for awhile. But I never quite know where to start. I am considering seeing if my school has a class next semester for this but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books or share any experience they had on learning?

Follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram @ithinkimalion
01-24-2012, 02:35 AM
I suggest you to check beginners tutorial on youtube for c/c++

Goodluck!

01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
You should check out the stanford(iOS) courses on itunes u they are the best!

My Twitter:@Tudor
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
1) just remember it will take a while, and don't try and write a world-beating epic of a game on your first attempt. You wouldn't sit in 2 or 3 Spanish language classes and then try and write something Cervantes would've been proud of and coding is no different. Start simple. If you want to do games try a pong clone, the old Nokia snake game, Tetris, something like that.

2) Until you get the hang of it you might want to try writing something that runs on your main computer first (using visual C++ express for windows, xcode on the mac, or whatever someone more knowledgeable can suggest if you are using Linux) - that way you can step through your code much easier and get a feel for what it's doing without having to worry about the limitations of the devkit/device. Once you know the theory you just then need to learn the quirks of whatever other system you would like to code for.

3) Don't feel stupid about asking questions. so long as you've at least had a bit of a google around the subject and come up blank (or not fully understood wherever google took you) people will be perfectly happy to help.

4) When I say 'happy to help' remember of course that this is the internet - there's always one smug annoying git wherever you ask. Ignore them and don't let it bring you down or make you want to quit. everyone else will help

5) Everything I learned in a programming class has somehow applied to what I do - it just has a way of looking dull, meaningless or irrelevant but don't let that fool you and stick with it. or maybe that was just my classes...

6) Enjoy it. Make something because it's something that you want to have and screw what you think everyone else wants. You can worry about coding to a specification another day, but in your own time building what you want for the simple reason you want it is a great motivation.

That little lot worked for me anyway, but I grew up coding on Commodores in the 1980s and for me it was just like Lego or Meccano - just building something to play with for a while afterwards with the coincidence that it actually turned out to be a useful skill.
01-24-2012, 08:35 AM
C++ and Objective C can be slightly overwhelming for a beginner.

Why not try Monkey?

A more streamlined, simplified language that translates to other languages. So you write your Monkey code, run it in Monkey, and have it running on iOS, Android, Flash and various other targets without even changing your code.
01-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Try thenewboston on YouTube
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Start with C. It'll give you a strong foundation for programming. Practically all programming languages are C like. I'd say all languages are just an extension or improved version of C. Once you are comfortable with the core language, you can learn any other without difficulties.

http://www.cprogramming.com
Book: Progamming in C by Stephen G. Kochan Third Edition
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
You should check out the stanford(iOS) courses on itunes u they are the best!
I decided to go this route with an intro class then the iOS one. I may also take an intro class at school next year.

Thanks for all the help too people. I definitely know this will take awhile, but I would like to learn, and I have realistic expectations.

Follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram @ithinkimalion
01-24-2012, 05:18 PM
In German I would quote "Im Anfang war die Tat!", translated "In the beginning was the Deed!".

If you want to program Apps you should just start doing so. Do not overcomplicate this by hindering you with plain C/C++ or strange other languages. iOS-Apps are Objective-C and this is the easiest way to go.
01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I second thenewboston he basically just makes videos of online and book tutorials but they are really helpful for getting started in coding. If you want to start just iPhone coding check out this set of his iPhone tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcMmyhKCno. If you are more into game programming then check out his set of cocos2d tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVNa...327E00257AF1D0.

Good luck!