★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: **Stir Fry is FREE for a limited time!!**

Think fast to prevent your pans from burning up while clearing vegetables and unlocking new items!

Collect and break open fortune cookies to earn coins and goodies
Unlock four difficulties to earn more coins
Compete with your friends and other players on Game Center
Earn coins to buy items and upgrades
Unlimited levels so the challenge never ends

billdevine's comments:

Final Wave Studios would like to announce Stir Fry, a fast paced puzzler for iOS. Stir Fry is FREE for a limited time so be sure to download it today. We'd love to hear your feedback below.

Think fast to prevent your pans from burning up while clearing vegetables and unlocking new items!

♨ Collect and break open fortune cookies to earn coins and goodies
♨ Unlock four difficulties to earn more coins
♨ Compete with your friends and other players on Game Center
♨ Earn coins to buy items and upgrades
♨ Unlimited levels so the challenge never ends

01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi, I'm the programmer!

Hi everyone! I'm the programmer who spent the last few months working on Stir Fry. We took an experimental route on this game and tried to come up with something really unique. I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Here are some screenshots to give you a taste of the game... although the game is FREE, so it would be easier just to download it. ;-)

-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firefire.png
Views:	0
Size:	648.7 KB
ID:	41004   Click image for larger version

Name:	pandown.png
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	41005   Click image for larger version

Name:	soysauce.png
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	41006  

Click image for larger version

Name:	makeitrain.png
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	41007   Click image for larger version

Name:	saltactivated.png
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	41008  

01-24-2012, 10:19 PM

This is a really excellent match 3 game. There are plenty of other games in the app store that are similar, but this is very well done. I am playing it on my iPad and it looks pretty good running at 2X, but I would still love to see an iPad version.

Thanks to the developers for making it free!

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
01-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Slewis7, thanks for the feedback and suggestion for an iPad version. Glad you are enjoying Stir Fry!
01-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Awww, cute veggies! I'm addicted.
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I am suprised this thread is not getting more traffic. Yes, this is another match 3 game, but it is clever and very well implemented. On top of that it is free without ads and is not IAP driven.

01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
On top of that it is free without ads and is not IAP driven.
I love match-3, but I saw the list of IAP down the side ("Mound of coins $9.99", "Pile of coins $4.99"), and assumed it was required for the game, so I didn't even bother to download.
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Give it a try - the IAP is not at all needed.

01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
I am suprised this thread is not getting more traffic. Yes, this is another match 3 game, but it is clever and very well implemented. On top of that it is free without ads and is not IAP driven.
Slewis7, thanks so much for your responses! It's great to see that Stir Fry made an impact for you. :-)

This may be splitting hairs, but I personally wouldn't classify Stir Fry as a 'match 3' game. It's definitely a matching game, and it shares several elements with lots of 'match 3' titles, but the number three has no special significance. Still, I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the execution. I'm curious to know others' opinions on the matter. Did we borrow too much from existing puzzle games, or is Stir Fry's particular blend of game mechanics refined enough to be called "unique?"
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Game Impressions

This game is pretty cool and, yeah, it really only barely qualifies as a 'Match 3' other than just the concept of eliminating same types of guys in batches.

The play is pretty original, I guess the closest base comparison I can find in the AppStore might be "Panda BBQ" (and no, not just because they involve vegetables) but even that fails to really encapsulate the gameplay.

You start the game with 4 pans and four columns of vegetables above them. In each pan is a vegetable and above them are a bunch of random vegetables. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to slide the rows of vegetables above the pans so that you'll get a nice solid row of vegetables above a pan that matches the vegetable in the pan. Once setup you tap on that pan and the vegetable flies up into the column above it taking out all of the like vegetables for points (progressively more for each vegetable it hits in a row) until it reaches the top of the screen or hits a vegetable of another type. If it hits the top of the screen it comes back down unchanged but if it bumps into a different type of vegetable it will swap places with that vegetable. Not only is clearing large groups of vegetables the key to big points, it is also the only way to keep your pan cool. Once a pan catches fire it only has a few turns left until it burns up entirely and you are out a pan. Not only is it just good policy to keep all of your pans around as long as possible, but, just like Missile Command did with the remaining cities, at the end of each level you are awarded points based on the number of pans still in play.

If the gameplay weren't cool enough on its own, it has a bunch of cool in-game power-ups (no IAP purchases required to access them) that will clear a row, column, heck, even the whole screen, depending on which one you hit!

Now, onto everybody's favorite gripe these days, the IAPs. The game has a store which is a mix of permanent upgrades as well as a few cheaper one off effects that require coins to purchase. You earn coins in this game by grabbing fortune cookies. The cute variable there, however, is that it isn't until the end of the game do you figure out how many coins you snagged in the fortune cookies as each can contain as few as 5 coins (most likely) but in rare occasions as much as 50 (at least that is the highest I've seen so far). The permanent upgrades are pretty expensive (2500 and 4500) and, at least in my first few games, am averaging about 75 coins a game so, unless I stoop to getting the IAP, it might take quite a while before I can get them...but at the same time they're pretty optional (like getting an extra life as it were in the game).

Now for my one gripe. While I like how the game requires you to get a sufficient score in a lower difficulty to open the next one and that it has 4 difficulty levels (primarily just dictating how quickly the pans catch on fire), the game tries to track all of the local scores from the 4 difficulties on one scoreboard (in GC they do break it down into the 4 leaderboard). While it does so far seem to recognize that even a lower score on "Medium Heat" should be evaluated higher than a higher score on "Low Heat", I think I'd prefer if they simply listed the top score of each difficulty on the leaderboard (maybe they already do once you unlock all of the difficulties, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews