App description: #1 iPad Game in over 10 Countries - Apple iPad Game of the Week now with Retina support for the New iPad.

USA TODAY
"From the gameplay to presentation to control, Paper Monsters is a real treat for iPad owners"

IGN
"Crescent Moon's Paper Monsters is one of the prettiest games to hit the App Store in a long time."

G4TV.com
"The controls are masterfully crafted"
"a fresh, original soundtrack add those special touches to an already solid game"

GIZMODO UK - Gaming App of the Day
"Paper Monsters is a well-balanced little adventure, pretty to look at, and a nice diversion on a Friday afternoon"

TOUCH ARCADE
"Paper Monsters is an incredibly fun platformer, and its downright gorgeous to look at"

APPADVICE.com
"Paper Monsters Redefines The Boundaries Of Side Scrolling Adventures"

GAMEZEBO
"For lack of a better word, it's perfect. Everyone should play this"

SLIDE TO PLAY
"This traditional platformer is as gorgeous as they come."



--DESCRIPTION--

Dive into the world of Paper Monsters and watch a living world made out of paper, cardboard, and a few cotton balls unfold right before your eyes.
Paper Monsters takes all of the classic 2d platforming elements, combines them with cutting edge graphics and then packs it onto your iPhone or iPad.



--FEATURES--

Classic 2d sidescrolling gameplay with gorgeous 3d environments.
Original and adorable characters
Awesome original soundtrack - headphones recommended!
Fun under water and flying powerups.
Two control types: "floating" Joystick or classic touch pad
Game Center Leaderboards
Adventure and Hunt for hidden Game Center Achievements
28 Large Levels across 6 unique worlds
Tons of secret areas!
High score dash mode for endless replay value!
Airplay Mirroring
Fun for all ages
Universal for iPhone, iPod, and iPad
Retina support for the New iPad


www.PaperMonsterLand.com

****DEVICE SUPPORT****
Paper Monsters supports iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4th Generation, iPod Touch 3rd generation 16gb and higher.

Like Facebook.com/CrescentMoonGames

and

follow @cm_games on Twitter for more great games and deals!

Sanuku's comments:






01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
Universal, iCade, Awesome polish, and 99 cents?! Aren't we the iOS gamers spoiled? Is .99$$ an introductory sale?

Also, wonder how "large" are the 16 levels.
Yeah, all CM games come out a dollar intro price nowadays.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
01-25-2012, 07:26 AM
#22
Very excited about this game, perhaps most of all because I don't see any virtual controls. That's always a big plus for me personally.

01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
#23
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,846
Not at all my favourite genre, or even my second or third favourite , but it does look really, really good, enough for me to consider the enormous commitment of 0.99...

My only concern harkens back to Crescent Moon's release of Evertales, a game that, ironically in spite of the name, could be finished in less than an hour, with little or no replayability beyond grinding for a few items. For 0.99, I would not complain if this was the case with Paper Monsters (just as with Evertales), but it also means I might not play it at all, as I prefer games with a sense (or an illusion ) of persistence and longevity. So, no nagging and whining if this is the case, but here's to the hope it is not

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
01-25-2012, 07:36 AM
#24
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
Universal, iCade, Awesome polish, and 99 cents?! Aren't we the iOS gamers spoiled? Is .99$$ an introductory sale?

Also, wonder how "large" are the 16 levels.
They are fairly long, but at 16 levels this is not a big game (but a great value at the intro price IMHO). Of course just because the game is 16 levels long at release doesn't mean that it will stay at 16 levels for long .

As to the controls: I was skeptical until I got to use them.
01-25-2012, 07:37 AM
#25
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Not at all my favourite genre, or even my second or third favourite , but it does look really, really good, enough for me to consider the enormous commitment of 0.99...

My only concern harkens back to Crescent Moon's release of Evertales, a game that, ironically in spite of the name, could be finished in less than an hour, with little or no replayability beyond grinding for a few items. For 0.99, I would not complain if this was the case with Paper Monsters (just as with Evertales), but it also means I might not play it at all, as I prefer games with a sense (or an illusion ) of persistence and longevity. So, no nagging and whining if this is the case, but here's to the hope it is not
Well they don't develop the games so the length of the game would come down to the developer and not CM.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
Former App and Game reviewer and news writer for App-Score, Lowdown Magazine and TouchAholics.
Follow Me On Twitter @triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
#26
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Forge World
Posts: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Not at all my favourite genre, or even my second or third favourite , but it does look really, really good, enough for me to consider the enormous commitment of 0.99...

My only concern harkens back to Crescent Moon's release of Evertales, a game that, ironically in spite of the name, could be finished in less than an hour, with little or no replayability beyond grinding for a few items. For 0.99, I would not complain if this was the case with Paper Monsters (just as with Evertales), but it also means I might not play it at all, as I prefer games with a sense (or an illusion ) of persistence and longevity. So, no nagging and whining if this is the case, but here's to the hope it is not
And adding to the evertales point. I'm sure I remember evertales going free pretty quick after launch.

This does look cool though. I'm not a big platformer fan but for 69p I might take a shot (since there's nothing else out tonight I'm interested in) as I need my weekly fix. :-)
01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
#27
@GeekyDad There's a virtual joystick, but there doesn't seem to be a button for jumping. I'll actually miss a button for jumping. It also seems like there's a classic touch option in the settings. I wonder how the no buttons will play into the abilities?!? Maybe, they'll appear then?

@ayonja The description says 16 levels across 4 worlds. From my experience, the more traditional platformers have long levels. Plus there are hidden achievements that you get from exploring the world and collecting things. Sometimes platformers depend on how you play them.

Edit
The games are made by different devs, aren't they? I mean you can judge what you buy based upon the publisher's lat game, but that's never truly accurate. Look at Bulkypix, that's the most up and down publisher ever.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 01-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.
01-25-2012, 07:47 AM
#28
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
Well they don't develop the games so the length of the game would come down to the developer and not CM.
They co-develop some games, publish others, and develop some on their own. (There is a great interview with Josh of CM over at SlideToPlay, where he tries to untangle their web of deceit and lies. Or at least of having different developer relations )

Josh had a hand in Evertales, though I can't recall how deep it went. Paper Monsters, having no other developer name attached to it in the app description (Evertales was primarily designed by Thunder Game Works, Pocket RPG by Tasty Poison, etc), might be a Crescent Moon original.

Thus, it is hard to say how much CM had to do with Evertales short length, and if that might carry over to a platformer (possibly) of their own making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
@ayonja The description says 16 levels across 4 worlds. From my experience, the more traditional platformers have long levels. Plus there are hidden achievements that you get from exploring the world and collecting things. Sometimes platformers depend on how you play them.
Yeah, good point, this does not sound like a one-hour short and brutal romance fling bing kinda thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
Edit
The games are made by different devs, aren't they? I mean you can judge what you buy based upon the publisher's lat game, but that's never truly accurate. Look at Bulkypix, that's the most up and down publisher ever.
At least partially (see my explanation of CM's confusing web of inter- and intra-developer connections and collaboration to triggywiggy, above ).

And yeah, even if both had been CM originals, I suppose there is still little reason to expect Paper Monsters to follow the same pattern (especially since that was about the only criticism Evertales received in gaming press).

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
They are fairly long, but at 16 levels this is not a big game (but a great value at the intro price IMHO). Of course just because the game is 16 levels long at release doesn't mean that it will stay at 16 levels for long .
One of the absolutely most exciting aspects of the iOS indie developer culture: continuos updates and games that grow and swell (and occasionally bloat ) for years, even sometimes when there is little material incentive for the devs to keep adding to their product.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-25-2012 at 07:59 AM.
01-25-2012, 07:52 AM
#29
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 451
Yes finally! This is a steal for 99 cents.

GC: Rancub
Currently playing: Battleheart: Legacy
01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
#30
After months of waiting and weeks of saving cash for this, it's mine!!! And only 99c? I love CM's deals nowadays, always a great intro price!

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.