Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
Universal, iCade, Awesome polish, and 99 cents?! Aren't we the iOS gamers spoiled? Is .99$$ an introductory sale?

Also, wonder how "large" are the 16 levels.
Yeah, all CM games come out a dollar intro price nowadays.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Very excited about this game, perhaps most of all because I don't see any virtual controls. That's always a big plus for me personally.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Not at all my favourite genre, or even my second or third favourite , but it does look really, really good, enough for me to consider the enormous commitment of 0.99...

My only concern harkens back to Crescent Moon's release of Evertales, a game that, ironically in spite of the name, could be finished in less than an hour, with little or no replayability beyond grinding for a few items. For 0.99, I would not complain if this was the case with Paper Monsters (just as with Evertales), but it also means I might not play it at all, as I prefer games with a sense (or an illusion ) of persistence and longevity. So, no nagging and whining if this is the case, but here's to the hope it is not
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
Universal, iCade, Awesome polish, and 99 cents?! Aren't we the iOS gamers spoiled? Is .99$$ an introductory sale?

Also, wonder how "large" are the 16 levels.
They are fairly long, but at 16 levels this is not a big game (but a great value at the intro price IMHO). Of course just because the game is 16 levels long at release doesn't mean that it will stay at 16 levels for long .

As to the controls: I was skeptical until I got to use them.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Not at all my favourite genre, or even my second or third favourite , but it does look really, really good, enough for me to consider the enormous commitment of 0.99...

My only concern harkens back to Crescent Moon's release of Evertales, a game that, ironically in spite of the name, could be finished in less than an hour, with little or no replayability beyond grinding for a few items. For 0.99, I would not complain if this was the case with Paper Monsters (just as with Evertales), but it also means I might not play it at all, as I prefer games with a sense (or an illusion ) of persistence and longevity. So, no nagging and whining if this is the case, but here's to the hope it is not
Well they don't develop the games so the length of the game would come down to the developer and not CM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post

And adding to the evertales point. I'm sure I remember evertales going free pretty quick after launch.

This does look cool though. I'm not a big platformer fan but for 69p I might take a shot (since there's nothing else out tonight I'm interested in) as I need my weekly fix. :-)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM

@GeekyDad There's a virtual joystick, but there doesn't seem to be a button for jumping. I'll actually miss a button for jumping. It also seems like there's a classic touch option in the settings. I wonder how the no buttons will play into the abilities?!? Maybe, they'll appear then?

@ayonja The description says 16 levels across 4 worlds. From my experience, the more traditional platformers have long levels. Plus there are hidden achievements that you get from exploring the world and collecting things. Sometimes platformers depend on how you play them.

Edit
The games are made by different devs, aren't they? I mean you can judge what you buy based upon the publisher's lat game, but that's never truly accurate. Look at Bulkypix, that's the most up and down publisher ever.

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 01-25-2012 at 07:43 AM..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
Well they don't develop the games so the length of the game would come down to the developer and not CM.
They co-develop some games, publish others, and develop some on their own. (There is a great interview with Josh of CM over at SlideToPlay, where he tries to untangle their web of deceit and lies. Or at least of having different developer relations )

Josh had a hand in Evertales, though I can't recall how deep it went. Paper Monsters, having no other developer name attached to it in the app description (Evertales was primarily designed by Thunder Game Works, Pocket RPG by Tasty Poison, etc), might be a Crescent Moon original.

Thus, it is hard to say how much CM had to do with Evertales short length, and if that might carry over to a platformer (possibly) of their own making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
@ayonja The description says 16 levels across 4 worlds. From my experience, the more traditional platformers have long levels. Plus there are hidden achievements that you get from exploring the world and collecting things. Sometimes platformers depend on how you play them.
Yeah, good point, this does not sound like a one-hour short and brutal romance fling bing kinda thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
Edit
The games are made by different devs, aren't they? I mean you can judge what you buy based upon the publisher's lat game, but that's never truly accurate. Look at Bulkypix, that's the most up and down publisher ever.
At least partially (see my explanation of CM's confusing web of inter- and intra-developer connections and collaboration to triggywiggy, above ).

And yeah, even if both had been CM originals, I suppose there is still little reason to expect Paper Monsters to follow the same pattern (especially since that was about the only criticism Evertales received in gaming press).

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
They are fairly long, but at 16 levels this is not a big game (but a great value at the intro price IMHO). Of course just because the game is 16 levels long at release doesn't mean that it will stay at 16 levels for long .
One of the absolutely most exciting aspects of the iOS indie developer culture: continuos updates and games that grow and swell (and occasionally bloat ) for years, even sometimes when there is little material incentive for the devs to keep adding to their product.

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-25-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Yes finally! This is a steal for 99 cents.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

After months of waiting and weeks of saving cash for this, it's mine!!! And only 99c? I love CM's deals nowadays, always a great intro price!