★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Lightspeed Bit Bit is a unique retro neon stylized arcade game. The simple one finger control makes it easy for anybody to pick up and play, but it's also challenging without being frustrating. This game has three awesome game modes.

Bit Bit Mode: This is the main mode of the game. There are three difficulties-Easy, Medium, and Insane. Your ship loses a little bit of health every second and also when you collect the wrong color bit. You must collect bits that match the color of your ship to add to your health and score. Your ship randomly changes color and each ship has its own personal chiptune music theme. There are also power-ups that randomly appear. There is a Gamecenter leaderboard for each difficulty.

Obstacle Mode: Your goal in this mode is to reach the finish line. Each level has 3 stars that can be collected if you want to challenge yourself. Watch out for the cosmic blocks, they do massive damage.

One Bit Mode: This mode is locked until you meet or surpass 50,000 points in Bit Bit Mode. One Bit Mode has the same concept as Bit Bit Mode, except there's only one difficulty.Brutal. Your ship changes color every time you get the correct color bit, but if you get the wrong color bit..it's gameover.until you press restart.

3 awesome game modes!
Fast gameplay!
Simple controls!
Sharp graphics!
Bits! Bit bits! Bit bit bits!
Game Center!
Personal high scores!
Endless fun!
Huge particle effects!
Minimalistic retro sound fx!
Awesome chiptune music!
Oh my!

You can view the gameplay trailer on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XzCoTb1AY or just search "Lightspeed Bit Bit"

When the ship changes color, the game changes, and the music!

8-Bit Avrin Apps

Future Newb Apps's comments:
Hey everybody, I'm a one man developer and I'm here to present to you my newest game Lightspeed Bit Bit. I hope you enjoy it if you check it out. I'm very proud of it and believe there's nothing else like it on the App Store. The gameplay trailer is at the bottom. Thanks for looking! See you on the leaderboards!

For the best experience, watch it in HD with headphones on...

Youtube link | Pop Up
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
That's a very convincing video, I must say.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

01-29-2012, 05:09 PM
The concept of the game is pretty cool, sort of like a color-matching Hypership. It could definitely use relative touch controls, so that your finger doesn't obscure yr ship.
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
The concept of the game is pretty cool, sort of like a color-matching Hypership. It could definitely use relative touch controls, so that your finger doesn't obscure yr ship.
I have to agree here. I also would love to see some sort of combo scoring that rewards the player who manages to collect multiple correct colored bits in a row without bumping into an incorrect bit.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
looks neat and I dig the tunes, will try it
01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Pretty good game, but I have a couple of issues with it:
- The actual score after completing a run is in a different font than the rest of the text; it looks pretty awkward.
- It gets a bit choppy at times on my 3GS.
- When you enter the Obstacle Mode menu there should not be this "in-between" menu that only serves the purpose of determining whether you want to see a tutorial. You should be sent straight to level selection, and perhaps be able to select "Tutorial" from the bottom left of the screen.
- After completing a level in Obstacle Mode you can either replay the level or return the the main menu; you should also have the ability to return to the level selection screen.

Optional relative touch controls would be a nice addition, but on my small phone screen I'd personally stick with the current controls, as I don't feel that my finger obscures the screen in this game, as much as it tells me exactly where my ship is located. In other shmups (not sure this qualifies since you don't actually shoot ) I tend to agree that relative touch is needed, but in this case it really doesn't make a difference to me.
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you all for the positive feedback. It means a lot

Thank you for the suggestions too. They all make sense. I'll discuss them and my plans for them now;

Combos - I agree all the way that combos would be a good idea and I'm going to work on implementing them in a future update.

Obstacle mode - I'm going to change it where after you select this mode, it goes to the level select screen with a link to the "how to play/tutorial" on that screen. I'm also going to add a "Level Select" link after you complete a level.

Score font - Yeap I'm going to change this to match the overall font design. I'm very much into design so doing this definitely makes since.

Performance - I tested the game on a 3rd gen iPod Touch, and an iPhone 3Gs and 4s. I didn't run into any performance problems, however, I'll continue to work on improving performance because that's very important.

Relative touch- I debated on going this route during the development of the game, but going with the way the controls are now seemed like a better idea from me and others who played it. For me, it might be due to the fact that since I made the music, I learned it very quickly so I know what ship I am whenever it changes. I hope the trail behind the ship helps too. However, most of the feedback I've gotten has been positive towards the controls. Some people tap the screen to move the ship and some people drag the ship. I personally just drag the ship everywhere. I'm not disregarding this feedback though, I'm looking into the possibility of adding an option for offset controls.

Thanks again for all the feedback everybody! Please rate the game in iTunes too. Have fun!
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice to see a very personal response to fan feedback. I'll leave a bit more for you .

Selecting Bit Bit Mode should send you straight into the game, the sub-menu here is kind of pointless as well. Perhaps you could have the game ask the player whether they'd like to view a tutorial the first time they select the mode, and then have it viewable through the Options section. You'd, of course, then have to make the leaderboards accessible through the root menu, but I feel that is a plus as well.

I'd also like the game to remember my settings between sessions. I disable music in 99% of iOS games and having to do so every time the game is launched is hassle.

Also, the loading times can seem a bit steep, but if you can't really optimize this much, eliminating some sub-menus will at least make the player feel like the time in-between sessions is shorter.
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Update 1.1 is live!

√ Added a combo system. Now you can get up to 1,000 points per bit! (The points per bit increases by 100 for each correct color bit collected in a row. When you get an incorrect color bit your combo resets.)

√Changed the score font to match the look of the game.

√Settings are saved. The game now remembers your on/off settings.

√Optimized a few little areas of the layout for Obstacle Mode.

Thank you to everyone who has downloaded Lightspeed Bit Bit! Also thank you all for helping make my game better with those suggestions!

PROMO CODES here ---> http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...65#post2138065

Last edited by Future Newb Apps; 02-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.