★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Circle Survival!
A quick game to satisfy your arcade craving.

Three exiting game modes:

Survival - Dodge the evil squares as long as you can, only the most talented can last long against the relentless barrage.

Kamikaze - Turn the tables and play as a square. Destroy as many circles as you can in 30 seconds and show the world who is the king of the geometry hill.

Square Destroyer - The Circles fight back in this game mode. Destroy an ever increasing number of squares while protecting yourself from harm. With a keen eye and great reflexes you can dominate the competition.

Juc's comments:

(this is a near identical post to the one I put in the iPad forum but with links changed to the iPhone version. I made separate apps for the iPad and iPhone ... in retrospect that wasn't an ideal solution and a universal app is what I'll aim at for my next game)

I'm the developer of this game, and it's a fair departure from what I used to do.
I was formerly with BioWare and decided to give iOS gaming a shot.
I was aiming to release a very simple game, with very simple art, for the purpose of getting used to this platform.

It will be free on the app store on Feb 1st, but there is also a free ad-supported version if you miss the free day:
ad-supported free version

I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on my app.
Most of the folks who have tried it have seemed to like it, but the folks I could trust to be honest to me were all crunching at my former studio, so they may have just been crazy.
The counterpoint to what my friends tell me are the very low sales, and that speaks volumes on its own.

Any feedback you fellows can give would be greatly appreciated.
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the promotion. =)

The game is pure high score/survival arcade fun that uses tilt controls. The tilt controls is spot on for Survival and Kamikaze modes. The tilt to aim for the Square Destroyer mode is something I'm still getting used to.

The Survival and Kamikaze modes are fast and furious. I survived for 42 seconds for the Survival mode and I'm in the top 25. For the Survival mode, it appears to me the evil squares are initially launched at where the player is but I can't be 100% for certain. So if the player isn't moving strategically, they can get boxed in by the squares. This adds a layer of strategy.

The kamikaze mode is a lot more difficult for me since you need to watch the circle's pattern and predict where to go. Its more of my fault for being impatient for this mode.

The Square Destroyer mode is pretty much like Asteroids, with the twist that your "ship" is stationary. For me to survive longer, I plan which size asteroids to prioritize since, I don't want to blow up to many large ones and have a tons of small ones ready to hit me. lol.. The aiming seems to work well enough, but I think as with most tilt games, I need to get used to tilt aiming. Once nice thing is you can tap on any part of the screen to fire instead of needing to hunt for a shoot button.

Having GC leaderboards is nice for these types of games, and having achievements is just icing on the cake. The game is pleasing to my eyes (retro look), the music is a nice generic techno-ish and the game loads fast (perfect for quick games). The game is super smooth.

One suggestion is in settings to add an "enable autocenter on pause" option. Some tilt games will auto calibrate/center when the player pauses. One other suggested setting is sensitivity adjustment (I'm fine with the default sensitivity).

I think the main problem in terms of sales for these type of games is it appeals to a small set of audience. Also, not everyone is comfortable with tilt controls..but there's not too much you can do for these type of games. I'm sure you can implement a virtual pad (of which other people don't like as well)..but I'm not sure if its worth the time to explore alternative controls because the limited audience appeal.

Anyways, thanks for the game and good luck with sales! =D

FYI: I played on the standard version on my 4th gen ipod touch, ios5.0.1.

I created a thread for Circle Survival for you in the price drop subforum. Hopefully the game can get more exposure. =D

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Last edited by tops2; 02-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Thank you very much for trying the game.

Adding the option to auto calibrate on pause shouldn't be tough to do, so I'll add it to my to-do list.

My plan for the next significant update is to add power-ups of various sorts, change what happens at 40 seconds in survival, and try to make square destroyer a little more fun.
I'm still mulling over how to do that last one beyond just adding power ups. Probably make the circles a bit bigger, give less time, and add some traps of some sort, like mines.

I probably won't implement a virtual pad, mostly because I abhor them and if I don't want to add a feature that I can't stand behind, and I question how well I can make something I hate anyway.

If you liked the music, it was done by a fellow in the UK by the name of Will Newmarch, he handed me his webpage a while ago ... just have to dig it up.
here it is: http://www.themechanicdepressive.co.uk/

Also, thank you for creating that thread in the sub forum, I hadn't actually noticed it was there.
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juc View Post
My plan for the next significant update is to add power-ups of various sorts, change what happens at 40 seconds in survival, and try to make square destroyer a little more fun.
I'm still mulling over how to do that last one beyond just adding power ups. Probably make the circles a bit bigger, give less time, and add some traps of some sort, like mines.

I probably won't implement a virtual pad, mostly because I abhor them and if I don't want to add a feature that I can't stand behind, and I question how well I can make something I hate anyway.
Lol..yeah..I don't think virtual pad will work in this game. People will then complain their finger blocks the screen.

Well, a random idea for Square Destroyer is to lessen the number of times the large square will break up till its destroyed. Currently, *to me*, it takes maybe 1-2 stages too long to clear one large square. Maybe lessen the number of stages so people can progress to more and more large squares quicker. Maybe give people 1 to 3 "bombs", activated by touching 2 fingers to the screen? Sometimes you just can't get out of a situation.. But then this will increase the playtime..if you're going for a short, intense playtime. Maybe you can add more enemies, and introduce them after each wave. Maybe like a centipede, made of a chain of squares can swim around..and each shot reduces one segment of the centipede. Or a square, with a "ring of squares" surrounding it as shield that's spinning (not too fast though). Players can clear the shield, and if they're good enough, shoot between the square shield and take out the center.

Power ups could be nice..but I guess you have to debate to make them only for one game or have an "rpg-lite" upgrades system. I think though for this game, its probably better to have them for only one game. One thing gotta be careful I guess is if people start thinking the power ups will be to similar to Tilt to Live... =/

Anyways..just a few random ideas to throw out there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and throw out your plans! Always nice seeing a dev being active on the forums and hope more people pick up this game. =D

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Last edited by tops2; 02-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.
02-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
The silly thing is that I didn't actually hear about Tilt to Live until after I released my game.
It was pretty funny when I saw I made something similar to something else already out there when all I was thinking was to try to make an accelerometer controlled bullet hell lite, with maybe a couple other modes for variety.

I'm probably going to have to just go and buy Tilt to Live now, I played the free mode the other day, and I know there's power ups to freeze, blow up enemies via bomb, and blow up enemies via heat seeking shots, but I'd rather not pick a different variety of power ups or a different angle for using such things just to accidentally clone a different mode in the game.

People are getting demolished by those little squares pretty easily.
I think I might add another firing mode, so you can basically mine the screen with slow shots.
You can do that right now by keeping your aim near-neutral, but not many folks have picked up on that, so I think I need to make it more blatant.
And maybe reduce the number of the small fellers.

Well I'll fiddle with it and see what works. Kamikaze needs some love too.