★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why are there no good fighting games for iOS?

02-01-2012, 12:38 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
Why are there no good fighting games for iOS?

There's street fighter IV volt but it's lacking compared to the original sfiv and then there's the MK one but even then it's still lacking and the controls aren't too good. What do you guys think would be in a good fighting game for iOS?
02-01-2012, 12:42 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
King of Fighters and SOULCALIBUR are pretty awesome..

How is Volt lacking compared to the original SFIV? The online multiplayer more than makes up for anything missing.

Twitter: @back2this

02-01-2012, 01:27 AM
#3
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,573
Honestly, the online multiplayer is mostly a curse. So many spammers and such. But the TA members (like me) are great opponents. But yeah, KOF-i is a must-have.

GameCenter ID: 0-FeliX-0
Hyped Up For: Wil's Finest Hour
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
#4
Fight Night Champion (Boxing) is pretty good.

řƹȡ1
02-01-2012, 01:38 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
I was referring to more general fighters such as Soul calibur and sf. The ones with big competitive scenes. Also SFIV Volt doesn't have juri that's how it's lacking. I main juri in case you couldn't tell.

Also Soul Calibur has no multiplayer from what I heard. That and I'm not that good at 3D fighters. It looks like I should have ignored SFIV and got KOF-i.
02-01-2012, 01:44 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeszx View Post
I was referring to more general fighters such as Soul calibur and sf. The ones with big competitive scenes. Also SFIV Volt doesn't have juri that's how it's lacking. I main juri in case you couldn't tell.

Also Soul Calibur has no multiplayer from what I heard. That and I'm not that good at 3D fighters. It looks like I should have ignored SFIV and got KOF-i.
Just dropping Volt because of no Juri is sort of a poor reason... but who am I to judge? I'll let you know if/when Juri is put into the game. And yeah, KOF-i and Soul Calibur don't have online multiplayer.

GameCenter ID: 0-FeliX-0
Hyped Up For: Wil's Finest Hour
02-01-2012, 02:13 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
I'm hating on Volt because it doesn't have the same character roster. Also I think the controls are decent but it feels a little too close. I think an ipad version might have felt a little bit better button space wise.

Last edited by Keyeszx; 02-01-2012 at 02:21 AM.
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 444
I thought SFIV and KoF were great

Anyway, if you're looking for some other title with a different approach to fighting, I'm currently finishing a very long fighting game project (started in Jan 09), targetted for iOS/Android : http://www.indiedb.com/games/kinetic-damage

If you're interested in the project, you can check the dev blog, but I can't let myself unveil too many gameplay details (except the basic ones), as a lot of mechanics could be tweaked/changed. I don't want players to be deceived But be sure I'm putting tons of work into trying to make it original, fun, and different (fighting game fan myself). Basically I'm trying to insert more tactical choices into the traditional fighting game model, while keeping the "Arcade feel".

Project is 90% finished to be precise, but I'll start to bring real infos (medias, vids, presentations, etc) once I'll reach the release milestone, so that there won't be any false promise.

Until then, I'll continue to work hard in my cave
(project is self-funded, so I litterally have to focus 300% on it if I don't want to make it vaporware)

Last edited by c0re; 02-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.
02-01-2012, 12:40 PM
#9
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeszx View Post
I'm hating on Volt because it doesn't have the same character roster. Also I think the controls are decent but it feels a little too close. I think an ipad version might have felt a little bit better button space wise.
You can customize the button placement and transparency.

Playing Now: Lara Croft Go, Boxy Kingdom, The Shadow Sun
Waiting For: Lumines
GameCenter: -jjj-
02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
#10
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0re View Post
I thought SFIV and KoF were great

Anyway, if you're looking for some other title with a different approach to fighting, I'm currently finishing a very long fighting game project (started in Jan 09), targetted for iOS/Android : http://www.indiedb.com/games/kinetic-damage

If you're interested in the project, you can check the dev blog, but I can't let myself unveil too many gameplay details (except the basic ones), as a lot of mechanics could be tweaked/changed. I don't want players to be deceived But be sure I'm putting tons of work into trying to make it original, fun, and different (fighting game fan myself). Basically I'm trying to insert more tactical choices into the traditional fighting game model, while keeping the "Arcade feel".

Project is 90% finished to be precise, but I'll start to bring real infos (medias, vids, presentations, etc) once I'll reach the release milestone, so that there won't be any false promise.

Until then, I'll continue to work hard in my cave
(project is self-funded, so I litterally have to focus 300% on it if I don't want to make it vaporware)
Glad to see you're still working on this! I've been wondering about it. Looking forward to the release! Those level designs are pretty cool

Playing Now: Lara Croft Go, Boxy Kingdom, The Shadow Sun
Waiting For: Lumines
GameCenter: -jjj-