Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Any chance of giving a visual change if you've ate the food, like a big belly or something?
Cool idea, but wouldn't want it too Mario-ish! Originally it was a "one hit you're dead" game, but testers all wanted some kind of shield so you could take at least one more hit. In the end it allowed for much more complex and challenging level design without being unfair, so I kept it, but it was based more off of the potion power up in an old NES zapper game I used to play called Gumshoe than it was on Mario's mushrooms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCSx_Le6HY

^ Crazy Mike's Apps video. His subscribers seem to like it, no angry Nintendo fans yet.

As for people complaining about clones... Gamers like to think they want original, unique games, but if they did, titles like A Boy and His Blob, Okami, etc. would have actually SOLD. Some very creative and unique games show up on iOS and then get all but ignored, devs now resorting to making physics puzzler after physics puzzler instead... I have some very unique ideas on the way but I can't dedicate anywhere near as much time to them as this because I know they won't sell as well. People are talking about Awesome Land, but Hungry Beetle sold a pathetic 16 copies! (Don't go and buy Hungry Beetle out of sympathy, at least not until version 2.0 is approved, I've been completely redesigning the controls as the tilt controls have been unpopular).
Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I was the first to mention the scoring system or lack there of (page 2) and Syntheticvoid is absolutely right that the levels need to be longer.Personally I like the game tho, is worth the $1.99 price tag.A few minor tweaks would make a difference.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
I'm getting increasingly worried by some comments, I have no intention of ripping anybody off, and if I am it was absolutely accidental... I've looked up the sprites...
Don't worry, Gabrien seemingly has a very thin grasp on what actually constitutes asset theft in today's world!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Well, I picked this up because the video made it look incredible. Yes, I see a lot taken from Mario and another one I remember called Bonk from the ol' TG-16 including the music here. No, it doesn't bother me much because I usually take every individual game for how it is on it's own merits. The controls are spot-on for the most part, though you die a LOT, sometimes cheap deaths too, where you're at a ledge and a baddie jumps straight up and takes you out when it seems like he shouldn't have. After a couple of plays, you learn and avoid those. Graphics have a retro look with bright colors, but somehow looked better in the video than in the game itself to me. The levels themselves seem too short, and kinda empty and devoid of many things to do, though, IMO. Doesn't seem to matter if you kill the baddies or not, though it should. I agree a level select would be nice, as well. It does have replay value because learning how to avoid dying gets me further along the next time. And a $.99 price point would've been more appropriate I think. Basically, in summary, this is a decent game that can be improved with updates to tweak/add, etc. in the future. However, I firmly DON'T believe its awesome, incredible, the shitz, fantastic, or great. It's NOT! Worth playing? Yeah. Worth keeping? I dunno.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

the only things that I think it needs is a scoring system of some sort and some longer levels. But overall it is a pretty good game
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
I said i got a promo code, so it was never a secret. i even said what was wrong with the game. Wow...I get 1 promo code out of the hundreds of game I buy now I'm shill posting. It's not a blatant clone and I stand by what I've said about the game and morality issues.
When you get a promo code and you really like the game, you feel like you have to do them a favour, like you owe them something, and that way here is speak very well of that game at every chance you get. Its how it works.

Quote:
Explain to me how this is a blatant rip
Do i really have to explain this?

Quote:
Then explain to me how all the games that come on iOS are so interesting, unique, and new.
There are many games that are not, they are plain game that you could experience elsewhere, but there are true gems that take full advantage of its hardware: gyroscope, multitouch, etc... and make a masterpiece that couldnt be playable elsewhere. Im pretty sure a couple came to your mind...

Quote:
Then tell me about the fine line between inspiration and plagiarism in the gaming world. .
Its not that thin... but it depends.... plagiarism is when you make a game really similar in many concepts to a previous game (that is character, graphics, what you do in a game, how you do it), innovation is what you make when turning those Mario games into Mario64
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
When you get a promo code and you really like the game, you feel like you have to do them a favour, like you owe them something, and that way here is speak very well of that game at every chance you get. Its how it works.
I call BS on this! I do this for a lot of games and 99% of them were bought by me. This falls into that category. The only difference is that I got offered a promo code. TBH, this is one of the games I've given less praise to. Did you see me boast about Lumi, Blot, and Stretched? I paid for all of those. Same thing with Jazz and Terra Noctis and others.

I planned on buying this game anyways and made that ver clear in the upcoming thread. I do't feel like i owe anyone anything. Hell, as arrogant as this sounds, some devs could easily contribute some of their popularity to me because I spam certain threads with their game. not because they asked me too, but because I bought the game and liked it. Hence all the gifting i've done for games on my own dime.

So please don't throw me into that category at all.

If this game sucked I would've made that clear or not said anything--promo code or not.

I also made what I thought the game lacking very clear and I never told people that they need to buy this game because it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Quote:
Do i really have to explain this?
Yes!

Quote:
There are many games that are not, they are plain game that you could experience elsewhere, but there are true gems that take full advantage of its hardware: gyroscope, multitouch, etc... and make a masterpiece that couldnt be playable elsewhere. Im pretty sure a couple came to your mind...
Yeah, but they still took their inspiration from something and just added in a new functionality. Anyways, I never said that there wasn't new and unique games, but most everything can be attributed to something else.

Quote:
Its not that thin... but it depends.... plagiarism is when you make a game really similar in many concepts to a previous game (that is character, graphics, what you do in a game, how you do it), innovation is what you make when turning those Mario games into Mario64
If you say so...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

This thread is suppose to be about awesomeness not defensive bickering and accusations. I propose discussions resume about the quality of this game, Mario-ness, and Motorhead with less non-sense and trolling. *grumble grumble*
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 AM

I think it is very appropriate to discuss things like "novelty and originality" vs blatant ripoffs and such in a thread like this, as it not only can pertain to this game in particular, but also because this is a very hot (and important) topic right now in the world of iOS gaming. Anyone who has been paying attention to the news lately should know exactly what I am speaking about, in the higher profile cases.

As for this game, I don't argue that it's obviously an "inspired by, homage" to some very well-known source material - but it certainly is not a clone, and it's completely within fair bounds I'd say. Games like Mario were genre-defining back in their day, but generational-defining as well and that's more what I see going on here. The game is paying a bit of love back to what 8-bit gaming meant, iconically, back in the day, and respectfully so. Whether or not the audience will appreciate that is up to them, but I see what Awesome Land is intending to do and I think that is just fine And I think the name is right on the money too!

Going forward this is something which I do think we should open a bit more conversation up about, because honestly it can get quite dangerous if people are misinformed on the difference between something paying homage, and something outright ripping off someone else's work. And for those who are coming in here and damning games which they don't consider "innovating," well who is to judge? Taking proven (general) gameplay concepts and wrapping them in a new coat of paint, it might not be heavy-handed but at least it's trying to have it's own style.

On the other hand, I DO see games out there where people just go ahead and rip sprites/levels/etc straight from other existing work. This is wrong. It pisses me off when people get away with it, it's not fair, and to be honest people really get away with that sort of thing a lot more often than anyone will ever know. It's not even that hard to spot either, thieves can be quite lazy. Those are the people who you ought to be going after for ripping off, not games like this one.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So Frost is the forum's resident psychologist? :P

Yah, I agree it makes sense to discuss homages vs. rip offs here, and I'll answer anybody's questions behind my intent here.

The whole innovation talk though, the number of people who I hear say "Call of Duty! Same game over and over again! I only but innovative games like Nintendo make!", and then see the same person salivating over Mario Kart 7 or the new Super Smash Bros.

Anyway, it's not like I woke up one morning and said "I'm going to make money by making something look like Mario!", it was more the result of "What sort of game would I really like to play on my iPhone?", so many devs are tring to think up the next Angry Birds, saying "people want this", I make what I'd want to play if I was my own customer. Loads of testers were saying "can you give him fireballs" etc. (I almost considered giving him molotov cocktails which bounced along), but I didn't want to copy any specific game, just to provide some nostalgic fun! The bricks being smashed from above are inspired by sections in Marble Zone in Sonic, the meat inside of the was referencing CastleVania and Streets of Rage 2, the Wasps were a Donkey Kong Country homage, the floating aliens (I named them Squiddles) are referencing the medusa heads from CastleVania, and much of the level design is CastleVania and Mega Man inspired. There are obviously visual/cosmetic homages to Mario, but they are shallow.

So yeah, it's derivative, and that's where genres come from, but to say it's a Mario Clone is, in my opinion, shallow and dismissive... If you want to talk about innovation, just watch how much harder it will be to sell the project I'm currently working on in comparison.

I've noticed a few people getting frustrated at enemy placements etc., that's the CastleVania/Mega Man influence coming into play. I wanted it to feel like you were BEATING the game as opposed to FINISHING it, ya know? Just like I. The "old days", it's you vs. the game, it's out to get you, and you can feel a huge sense of accomplishment/satisfaction when you manage it. I loved watching the testers swearing at the final boss but refusing to give up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfqrMJg_HE0

Somebody put up this video, it's very cool!

Last edited by DistantJ; 02-03-2012 at 03:16 AM..