Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone View Post
Well, on the one hand you should note that the reviews you posted were done by other reviewers (Eli & Troy) than the Ghost Trick review. So, as a review is almost always based on the personal opinion of the review author, it's only natural that you can't really compare these reviews. Tastes differ, even the tastes of the TA review authors.
Moreover, I doubt that Capcom will be disappointed by this review. The Metascore of the iOS version is still rather good, and the Metascore of the DS version matches almost the 8 out of 10 by TA.
I think it's important to accept that the personal taste of a review author can have an effect on the final score. And by reading the review text a reader should be able to understand and reconstruct the rating.
I don't really feel the need to read "impersonal" reviews, written from a neutral point of view. I think you can't really judge games in an impersonal way and still deliver a decision guidance to the reader at the same time.
So I think it's best to simply accept this rating. There are surely a lot of people that would give a higher score (like us), but probably some guys would even rate it lower. Tastes differ, and -like I tried to explain before- it would be rather strange if a review author would feel pressured into rating it 5 out of 5 even though he personally thinks a 4 out of 5 would be a perfect fit.
Tough call, because I really agree with both your and their points.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Just finished the game, and it was AWESOME!!
Really explosive ending!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Well, on the one hand you should note that the reviews you posted were done by other reviewers (Eli & Troy) than the Ghost Trick review. So, as a review is almost always based on the personal opinion of the review author, it's only natural that you can't really compare these reviews. Tastes differ, even the tastes of the TA review authors.
Moreover, I doubt that Capcom will be disappointed by this review. The Metascore of the iOS version is still rather good, and the Metascore of the DS version matches almost the 8 out of 10 by TA.
I think it's important to accept that the personal taste of a review author can have an effect on the final score. And by reading the review text a reader should be able to understand and reconstruct the rating.
I don't really feel the need to read "impersonal" reviews, written from a neutral point of view. I think you can't really judge games in an impersonal way and still deliver a decision guidance to the reader at the same time.
So I think it's best to simply accept this rating. There are surely a lot of people that would give a higher score (like us), but probably some guys would even rate it lower. Tastes differ, and -like I tried to explain before- it would be rather strange if a review author would feel pressured into rating it 5 out of 5 even though he personally thinks a 4 out of 5 would be a perfect fit.
Honestly, after I played the DS version (assuming the iOS is a carbon copy), it deserves around an 8/10.

It's got a strong enough story to make things enjoyable, and the puzzles are interesting.

What keeps it from getting higher score is the lack of difficulty in the puzzles, and after a while, you notice that the puzzles aren't innovative as you originally thought.

Personally, the first and third PW games are of 9/10 caliber. The others aren't as strong, but certainly great games.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesyze View Post
Honestly, after I played the DS version (assuming the iOS is a carbon copy), it deserves around an 8/10.

It's got a strong enough story to make things enjoyable, and the puzzles are interesting.

What keeps it from getting higher score is the lack of difficulty in the puzzles, and after a while, you notice that the puzzles aren't innovative as you originally thought.

Personally, the first and third PW games are of 9/10 caliber. The others aren't as strong, but certainly great games.
This is how I felt. There were really only a couple of puzzles that presented an interesting challenge.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Never played the DS version so I downloaded it to try. Not sure what the rest of the chapters are like but I found the first two very easy. Now I know most games start off easy and work their way up but from the sounds of things there isn't much challenge to this.

The idea is cool an the story is mildly interesting but I just don't know if it is worth $10. I feel I could have this beat in a really short amount of time and once it is beat there is likely zero reason to play it again. At least in Phoenix Wright even though you know exactly what to do you get to read all the witty humor all over again, in this I found most of the dialog a bore and I just kept mashing to push the conversations along.

So does this pick up? Do chapters get progressively longer? About how long to finish the full game? Any reason to want to play it a second time?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
Never played the DS version so I downloaded it to try. Not sure what the rest of the chapters are like but I found the first two very easy. Now I know most games start off easy and work their way up but from the sounds of things there isn't much challenge to this.

The idea is cool an the story is mildly interesting but I just don't know if it is worth $10. I feel I could have this beat in a really short amount of time and once it is beat there is likely zero reason to play it again. At least in Phoenix Wright even though you know exactly what to do you get to read all the witty humor all over again, in this I found most of the dialog a bore and I just kept mashing to push the conversations along.

So does this pick up? Do chapters get progressively longer? About how long to finish the full game? Any reason to want to play it a second time?
Yes it picks up, and the difficulty really ramps up. The chapters don't really get longer but if you're stuck on a puzzle they can take a while. I spent about 15 hours beating the game. If you play it a second time, it would probably have to be a few months later, when you've forgotten a few things.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
There are surely a lot of people that would give a higher score (like us), but probably some guys would even rate it lower. Tastes differ, and -like I tried to explain before- it would be rather strange if a review author would feel pressured into rating it 5 out of 5 even though he personally thinks a 4 out of 5 would be a perfect fit.
The opposite kind of happened here, though. If you read the review and the reviewer's comments below it, you'll see that the 4/5 rating is because she thinks the volume of text COULD be a turn-off to others. I'm used to review scores being based on the author's personal opinion--it's because I usually trust those opinions that I bother visiting review sites. It seems like in this case the reviewer doesn't trust her own opinion, and that's disconcerting.

I think the score is reasonable (though I'd rate the game higher myself, it isn't unexpected), but as I've said in the comments I'm really bothered by why it was given.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

This game is really fun, even while i'm just at chapter 2
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

im at chapter 14 how do i slow down the weird pamplet boy he keeps jumping on the seesaw before i can get the umbrella open
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Deter the boy from jumping by •••Spoiler:  keeping him on the rotating earth a little longer.