★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: why developers shouldn't lower prices

11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
why developers shouldn't lower prices

I know a lot of people have been complaining about this and posting different things in different thrads, but I think all devs on this site should see this.

Whenever a pricey game comes out, countless people wait for the inevitable price drop, and it usually comes, screwing the people who bought the game early and really wanted to support the developer. If developers put a game in the store at an introductory low price, I am more tempted to buy it soon, not knowing how long the sale will last. If the price is higher, I just wait. Developers then get some fast money, in which they can pay anyone who helped then in the gane easier. Also, if they already had paid the other people or paid of of loans ( probably not for an iPhone game?) then they can work on an update, which will make their customers happy. The developer can make a quick fan base that spreads the word about an "awesome, cheap game that will only be cheap to so long so you better pick it up now!". Instead of starting at a high price and losing fans, starting at a low price and eebrualkt raising it will get more fans that will hopefully purchase future products from the developer.

So this is my 2 cents, sorry if its a little sloppy, I'm yltyping this on my touch in hope of getting better at using the keyboard. I hope I get some eeaponses from ganess and developers alike!
11-15-2008, 10:58 AM
#2
This sounds great in theory, but usually falls apart on the App Store. Say you introduce a game at the low price of $1.99 for two weeks only. Your rank shoots into the top 50. After the two weeks, the price changes to the intended $4.99, as advertised. What almost always happens is that reviewers claim it's a money grab, and give low reviews. And because the price is higher, you sell a lot less copies, which makes your ranking tank. I may be wrong, and any other devs are free to correct me on this, but I've yet to see any app hold their rank, let alone increase sales, when they raise the price, regardless of how much notice they gave.

11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
#3
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
I know this would probably be the case, and it's a little annoying. I'm not insulting you by any means, I love tanzen, but I think reviewers and buyers alike should learn that is how the app store should work. I doubt it will happen, but it would be great if it did.
11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I know this would probably be the case, and it's a little annoying. I'm not insulting you by any means, I love tanzen, but I think reviewers and buyers alike should learn that is how the app store should work. I doubt it will happen, but it would be great if it did.
Should...would...could...
That's just not realistically how it works.

With so much competition in the App Store, and with the horrible lay-out of iTunes/App Store, it really appears that the best way for an app to be noticed/remain noticed is to be in the top 100, period.
Because of that, developers really have no choice but to keep their app at a price that the public deems acceptable.
In the case of TanZen, I absolutely love this game, and is one of my favourite games I own at this time. Unfortunately for Little White Bear Studios, I have to admit that I would never have taken the plunge at the original price of $2.99. At $.99, I think it's a steal.

Speaking strictly as a consumer, I want the best deal. When I want to buy something, I can go shop around to various stores and see who has the best sale that weekend for instance. In the app store, there is no shopping around, it's all about who has the best price. And sometimes (or even often times lately), the best price is the lowest price.
11-15-2008, 11:44 AM
#5
Yeah, we have no desire to lower prices, but if we don't, we eventually lose to the latest and greatest app that appears every 10 seconds.
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 349
Yeah, the price crazyness hurts all us developers. There's so much you can do to promote a game, yet it's become so commonplace to just drop or jack up the price. It makes it EXTREMELY difficult for anyone to take your price seriously.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
11-15-2008, 12:02 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I know a lot of people have been complaining about this and posting different things in different thrads, but I think all devs on this site should see this.

Whenever a pricey game comes out, countless people wait for the inevitable price drop, and it usually comes, screwing the people who bought the game early and really wanted to support the developer. If developers put a game in the store at an introductory low price, I am more tempted to buy it soon, not knowing how long the sale will last. If the price is higher, I just wait. Developers then get some fast money, in which they can pay anyone who helped then in the gane easier. Also, if they already had paid the other people or paid of of loans ( probably not for an iPhone game?) then they can work on an update, which will make their customers happy. The developer can make a quick fan base that spreads the word about an "awesome, cheap game that will only be cheap to so long so you better pick it up now!". Instead of starting at a high price and losing fans, starting at a low price and eebrualkt raising it will get more fans that will hopefully purchase future products from the developer.

So this is my 2 cents, sorry if its a little sloppy, I'm yltyping this on my touch in hope of getting better at using the keyboard. I hope I get some eeaponses from ganess and developers alike!
You are a sad strange little man
11-15-2008, 12:08 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
I respect your opinions, I juat think that m iidea could work better than the system right now, although I am now realizing it is rather unrealiatic with iTunes in it's current state.
11-15-2008, 12:13 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 410
Is the price difference from 2.99 to 0.99 really a huge deal to most of you guys? I'm just wondering. Or is it the principle of the thing?

Whenever I see this, my brain immediately starts thinking: 'wow price drop, I think I should get it now', but if I step back and think about it, its not much of a difference to my wallet. I spend more than $2 on donuts and coffee when I am working during the day, every day. Honestly, I rather pay the $2.99 to the developer if I think the game is worth it, even if its on sale for $0.99.

Now I might be a bad example here as I have only bought about 5 or 6 games so far. Mostly because I really don't have any time to play them.
11-15-2008, 12:20 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Is the price difference from 2.99 to 0.99 really a huge deal to most of you guys? I'm just wondering. Or is it the principle of the thing?

Whenever I see this, my brain immediately starts thinking: 'wow price drop, I think I should get it now', but if I step back and think about it, its not much of a difference to my wallet. I spend more than $2 on donuts and coffee when I am working during the day, every day. Honestly, I rather pay the $2.99 to the developer if I think the game is worth it, even if its on sale for $0.99.

Now I might be a bad example here as I have only bought about 5 or 6 games so far. Mostly because I really don't have any time to play them.
For someone that doesn't buy many games, no, it probably doesn't matter. But if you buy a ron of games full price, and then you see them go on sale, all the sales added up could have put an extra $20 or maybe more in your pocket, which equals anywhere from a handful to 2 or 3 games from the app store.