★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Air Master 3D v1.3 Update

05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Air Master 3D v1.3 Update

Hey everyone, the 1.3 update to Air Master 3D was approved last night - not sure when Apple started approving stuff on the weekend, but I'm not complaining!

Here's the changelist:
  • Custom level mode: adjust unit counts, planet type, and terrain height
  • Thicker HUD indicators for enemies
  • Sharper menu graphics
  • “How to play” guide with unit descriptions
  • Reduced memory usage

And gameplay video of the new update:

Youtube link | Pop Up

iTunes link

Dev Website

Air Master 3D - Retro 3D Air Combat (App Store & Lite Version)
Straight Aces - Puzzle Poker (App Store & Free Version)

Last edited by AlexN; 05-18-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: embedded video, itunes link, website link
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Alex, thanks for the head's up. I've been waiting for the update, and from the screenies, this looks great.

Last edited by Big Albie; 05-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.

05-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I just submitted a Lite version to Apple - hopefully it'll show up within the next week! The Lite version has only a single planet (the snow planet) and no custom level mode. There's still a reasonable amount of gameplay, though, due to the levels being procedurally generated.

Also, starting with this submission I've changed the app's icon to something that should be a bit more eye-catching, the current icon is pretty bland.

05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I've had a chance to revisit this a bit, and you've made some significant progress. The terrains and environments look great. Are there any plans to include a radar? It would help with locating key landmarks and enemy vessels.

I notice that some of the options in the menu are not as responsive. They can require multiple taps to access.

Overall, this is looking good.
05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I have to say that the game has become very fun. I downloaded it back when it first appeared and now tried it again a couple of days ago and keep picking it up at the odd moments.
The only thing that feels a little off is the lack of consequences for collisions. I mean, they needn't be an automatic game-over, but some loss of health is indicated, IMHO.

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
I have to say that the game has become very fun. I downloaded it back when it first appeared and now tried it again a couple of days ago and keep picking it up at the odd moments.
The only thing that feels a little off is the lack of consequences for collisions. I mean, they needn't be an automatic game-over, but some loss of health is indicated, IMHO.
There's actually an option to turn on/off collision detection. It's set to off by default.
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Yep, I lend my support to the dev, thanks for a wonderful looking update. I'll redownload as soon as the update shows for me.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
There's actually an option to turn on/off collision detection.
Thanks! I like this game more and more .

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen
05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Man, this game just gets better and better. For those who did not see my old review, BUY THIS GAME NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
... Are there any plans to include a radar? It would help with locating key landmarks and enemy vessels.

I notice that some of the options in the menu are not as responsive. They can require multiple taps to access. ...
I hadn't planned on putting in a radar, but it's actually been requested several times now, so I'll make sure it shows up in the next update. I'll make it optional, but default it to on.

By not responsive, do you mean the "New Game", level select choices, or custom level "Start" buttons take several seconds? Or is it the settings in the options menu? Any action that generates a new level will take 5-10 seconds, and I definitely need to get a loading screen or some other form of feedback into the next update. As is, it appears that the menu isn't responding until it finishes generating the level. If it's the options menu that's giving you trouble, then it means I need to adjust the sizes of the touch areas in there.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it and I'd love to hear what other people find annoying or think is missing.