Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM

That's pretty much what happens in the sandbox. You post scores, but they don't show up for long periods of time.

The install base for the game is still pretty small at the moment. Some people won't have synced the update yet. Some people probably can't get it yet. And then there's a smaller subset of people that actually use Game Center.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Can I ask why you capped the score at 999,999?
At the core, it's a technical limitation in the scripting engine that has existed for a number of years. The fix for it broke things on some version of the engine. I don't know if that's still the case, but I would assume so since it still throws up when it has a 7 digit integer.

In light of that, the score system was supposed to be designed in such a way as for it to never be a problem. Between a bug and a couple of oversights, it obviously became one. Hopefully, after some of the tuning changes, scores won't actually be going that high.

If they do, there are two steps I will pursue:
1) I'll actually try to fix the engine side of it. This has the potential to break all kinds of random things though. But at that point, I could uncap the score and everyone will be happy and throwing parties.
2) Failing that, I could move it to a less than 1 score system. So the base points would be 0.1. Or just changing the combo scaling. Either way, we would definitely have to reset the leaderboards, which is less than ideal.

TL;DR - It's someone else's fault and I did a bad job trying to work around it.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Nice frontpage review. Definitely looks and sounds pretty awesome. Don't remember seeing this among the releases two weeks ago. Will be picking it up.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Right on, thanks for the response... I've been holding off on playing since I hit 1.7 million... Because I didn't really see a point... But then I got an ipad2, and updated my iPod to 5.01, so I had to reinstall the game... And now have 0 experiments... But definitely gonna be hooked on this one for the next week trying to push the scoring to its limits...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Games View Post
At the core, it's a technical limitation in the scripting engine that has existed for a number of years. The fix for it broke things on some version of the engine. I don't know if that's still the case, but I would assume so since it still throws up when it has a 7 digit integer.

In light of that, the score system was supposed to be designed in such a way as for it to never be a problem. Between a bug and a couple of oversights, it obviously became one. Hopefully, after some of the tuning changes, scores won't actually be going that high.

If they do, there are two steps I will pursue:
1) I'll actually try to fix the engine side of it. This has the potential to break all kinds of random things though. But at that point, I could uncap the score and everyone will be happy and throwing parties.
2) Failing that, I could move it to a less than 1 score system. So the base points would be 0.1. Or just changing the combo scaling. Either way, we would definitely have to reset the leaderboards, which is less than ideal.

TL;DR - It's someone else's fault and I did a bad job trying to work around it.
If you need to cap the scores, at least for now, I understand but then you'll hopefully need to reset the current leaderboards, right?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 AM

We're actually going to be resetting the boards and local best score in the future any time we make changes to scoring or balance on the experiments. With 1.3, we're lowering the base points received by detonating matter from 2 to 1, and criticals from 4 to 2. So we'll be resetting the leaderboards then.

Priority on 1.3 right now is fixing a crash related to Game Center. If you're authenticated and then lose your network connection, when a score submission happens, it crashes. I don't know if it's a problem with the GameKit framework or just the implementation in the game engine. I've got a "fix" ready to go that will stop score submissions when the network goes down, but I want to make sure it's not just a bad engine implementation first.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Update's live...

Quote:
Fixes
-Resolved a crash that could occur when submitting Game Center scores without an active network connection.
Gameplay Adjustments
-Halved the base point values of matter
-Reset the local high scores and leaderboards. This will be the standard procedure going forward for any major gameplay changes.
-Lowered the amount of points needed to earn a beaker.
-Halved the required points for the scoring awards.
Interface and Display
-The game will now go to the pause screen when resuming from the background.

So... You're going to keep resetting the high-scores?

That just... doesn't seem too cool to me...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Update's live...

So... You're going to keep resetting the high-scores?

That just... doesn't seem too cool to me...
well if there's something that changes how the game is played, i guess it's OK to erase the Leaderboard since it require new strategies to reach the nubmer 1 spot
Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

alrighty then...

I jut don't see the point in playing if my scores have the potential to be deleted with every update...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
alrighty then...

I jut don't see the point in playing if my scores have the potential to be deleted with every update...
C'mon, are you serious? If people get insane scores because of some unintended glitch, once the glitch is fixed those old scores must be preserved?

I've seen games where they add all new leaderboards for each revision of their game and find it silly. Who, besides the folk listed maybe, give a crap about the top scores of some earlier version?

I'm not saying it is a good policy for a dev to reset the leaderboards with each update, but if scoring has significantly changed and those old scores are no longer relevant, why preserve them?