Best way to capture iPhone screen as Video

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Scraff, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    I will soon be doing some gameplay vids for my game. What are the best ways to capture video of the phone screen (without just pointing a camera at it!) Thanks

2. I did a lot of research on this topic in order to create a gameplay vid for my game. There are apps out there that actually capture the content of your iPhone screen but they only work with jailbroken phones.

Most gameplay vids are therefore captured from the iPhone simulator (e.g. with iShowU) and edited afterwards. This brings up new problems like performance and the lack of sensor data (like accelerometer, multitouch) in the simulator.

Performance can be fixed by speeding up or slowing down the video so that it looks like the actual gameplay on your phone.

There are tools (e.g. iSimulate) that compensate the missing sensor data by a combination of a code plugin and and an app on your phone. Sounds weird but what it basically does is sending your phone sensor data to the application running in the simulator.

As my game relies on turning the device I had to fall back to an external camera for some scenes anyway :) To give you an idea of what the result looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVtc7uteWE&list=FLA8kZRTOplByqJLr5tsVpmQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I hope that some of this information was helpful to you.

3. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011

Yeh thats really helpful! My games just uses touch, so I may be able to use just the iPhone Simulator on the Mac. So does iShowU campure the whole screen, then have to crop it later?

By the way, you game looks great, Ill download it 4 u. Ill let you know when my vid is ready and look forward to your feedback :p

Thanks,
    Scott

4. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    Don't some of the iPad's have an HDMI out? I have a capture device on my TV that could make videos from that (I use it for my Xbox gameplay videos).

I was lucky enough on my current iOS game to also have a WP7 port and the WP7 simulator runs good on my PC so I captured video of that. Obvious that won't work for most of you here though. The iPhone simulator is a total dog on my computer. And it's not consistent in it's slowness so there isn't a way I could speed it up. Not to mention syncing sound at that point would be extremely hard too.

5. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    There are a lot of topics in this forum already on this subject.

I believe I've tried everything, and my findings are :
    - Simplest way: record simulator using Screenflow (soft). Main problem with that is that you may experience framerate drops.
    - Best result: record device video output using a capture device like Atomos Ninja or AJA Kipro. These device are expensive, but I rented one for my recording session and it costed me $60.
    Note: only iPad 2 can do HDMI out (or jailbroken devices and iPhone 4s I guess).

6. With iShowU you can specify a specific area on the screen that you want to capture.

I'm happy that you like my trailer! I've just released a free version of the game and launched a screenshot contest in this forums. Maybe you want to join? :) I'm also excited about your trailer!

7. iNSERT.CODE

iNSERT.CODE Member

Feb 6, 2012
    +1 for iPhone Sim & iShowU HD

8. jeffcard

jeffcard New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    #8 jeffcard, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    You can use QuickTime player to record iPhone screen, free and easy, no need jailbreak.
    1. Plug in iPhone to computer, launch QuickTime and select menu File->New Movie Recording.
    2. On the right of the red circle record button on the video preview screen is a reversed ^ icon. Click on it for a drop down menu allowing you to choose the iPhone as video source. That's all.
    To get better quality video like 4K or HD video, I'd recommend Acethinker iPhone Screen Recorder.

9. Stencilsmith_Dev

Stencilsmith_Dev Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 6, 2016
    Developer
    +1 for this. You beat me to the punch on this one! I highly recommend this option. My only criticism with it is that the screen capturing alters the colors for some reason so the colors are a bit off. There may be a setting to fix during capture or editing but I haven't done anything about it myself.

10. goldlogsh

goldlogsh Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Has anyone used Airshou? I don't have a mac so QuickTime recording is not possible. Have been looking for other ways of iPhone screen recording.
    Found a video on Youtube about Airshou, but the app could only be downloaded on third party platform and requires a TRUST in iphone setting. A bit worried about that. So has anyone heard of this app?

11. Meshugenah Games

Meshugenah Games Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    QuickTime is the best option. Its free and easy to use.

But if you don't have access then I recommend Reflector 2. Its $15.00 and also worked pretty well.

I don't know anything about Airshou.

12. Sniper Caz

Sniper Caz Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Community Manager
    Vancouver, BC
    I use an Elgato capture device and then use this software called 'Game Capture HD' - it works great!