★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Brothers In Arms Revisited

05-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Brothers In Arms Revisited

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else...one of the first games I bought was BIA, as I am a huge History nut (teach it actually). I enjoyed the game, but found it exceedingly difficult primarily because of the controls. I would try to play here and there, but it took me months of 5-10 minute sessions just to get past the Normandy campaign. As new games came out, and I needed to clear room for Myst, I finally broke down and took BIA off my phone. As I played more games with a virtual d-pad, and especially as I played and finished (and LOVED) Assassin's Creed, I wondered if I would find the control system in BIA more forgiving since I was more familiar with it. I re-installed, and as I hoped, playing this game is like a whole new experience. I wasn't a savvy enough iDevice gamer when I first got this game to fully "get it". Now, I'm not saying the controls are perfect, they aren't, but as I play more virtual d-pad games (especially Gameloft's) like AC ad Terminator Salvation, I'm coming to appreciate what a really good game BIA is. If anyone else has a similar experience, let me know.
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
same here......never really got into BIA and its controls until terminator salvation came out.

that motivated me enough to start BIA again and now its quite entertaining and i'm much better with the touch controls than i was months ago. i just hate the jeep controls.....apart from that, great game.

05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I agree that BIA is a really good game. The graphics and sound may not be too good, but the controls and variety of mission types are excellent - you can shoot, drive tanks, jeeps, snipe, blow up stuff etc everything you would expect to be able to do on a console game. The I often find myself coming back to play this game every once in a while. It will always remain on my iPhone, as I think it is an excellent game and an iPhone classic being the first decent shooting game on the App store.

I have just downloaded Terminator Salvation, and it is also excellent as well. The graphics are better, the controls are basically the same, but it is a bit short. I still prefer BIA though, which is an amazing game.

edit - just got to the 3rd mission. AMAZING graphics. The first 2 levels are BIA quality in my opinion, but when you get to the 3rd level, where you play the guy in brown wearing a T-shirt, for some reason the graphics get much much better. I would really reccommend downloading this game, do it right now - it's on sale!!!

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 05-11-2009 at 01:49 PM.
05-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alichan76 View Post
AC has basically the same interface as HoS but I'm quite sure AC's success lies in the theme. The stealthy assassin, slipping in and out of the shadows, balancing on rooftops. They all suggest fluid movements which in turn are complemented by the fluid feel of a virtual d-pad. HoS on the other hand has barbarianism and brute force at the heart of its theme, and as such makes me long for the tactile d-pad to make me feel like I'm really smashing my way through all those fantastical creatures.

But of course BIA and Terminator Salvation are a different kettle of fish being FPS's, and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about either of them still.

I do know that I think there should be more attention paid to moulding platform controls with game themes, in order to produce successful results.
You are lucky that SpiffyOne hasn't seen this message! He goes nuts when he sees somebody call any old shooting game an FPS. BIA and TS are 3rd person shooters. I often make the same mistake. I am just warning you and saving you from an extremely long winded explanation on how BIA and TS are not FPS's. You should see some of his rants! lol

Hakuna Matata
05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm into WWI and WWII (upcoming WWIII did you hear?) so I think this is a great war type of game, I revisit it every so often.
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
BTW...what control set up do you guys (and gals) use for BiA?

I'm partial to the dual virtual joystick setup.

I just can't get used to the "swipe anywhere to aim" setup, and find the "tap to aim" setup just completely useless.
Really? I find the dual virtual joystick setup to be the hardest to control. I like the swipe to look method. It works well when you set the sensitivity to the maximum. The you can place and hold your finger on the screen to look around, without having to take it off to re-swipe to look around. I also tried the new acceleromter control setup on Terminator Salvation, which I don't like. It is hard to see what's going on with all the screen reflections, and also, you can't play in bed. Although it does give the most 'mouse-like' reticle movement, similar to the feeling of controlling a FPS on the computer (And no, I am not saying BIA or TS is an FPS, lol!).

Hakuna Matata
05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I use the default controls. I tried them all. While none are perfect, I just got used to the swipe to look around method. I'm really enjoying this game now that I feel I can master my surroundings better. I'm also more attuned to what my directives are. I would get lost before, but now it seems second nature.