★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Monster Mayhem - Free (tap/slash defense)

02-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Monster Mayhem - Free (tap/slash defense)

Monster Mayhem has been jumping around on and off the App Store for some time. First a great tap/slash defense game published by Chillingo pulled to be replaced by a freemium edition then pulled again and not re-published by Taplay. If this incarnation is anything like the original Chillingo item then it's highly recommended. There are IAP for coin packs.

02-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Freaking amazing game!!!

That killed my fingers, oh the PAIN I was in, the thing is addictive and my lord you never want to stop playing!!! o.O

I had to take a break from playing most games for at least a few days after this one.

If you end up with monster mayhem-itis and are unable to "take care of business"... Don't blame me.

02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Played for a bit and it in-game accrual of money seems reasonable. This edition seems similar to original version with some added details (tutorial, coin rewards for leveling up, etc).
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Simple, yet very effective time killer. Thank you for posting and thanks secs for freeing!

Noise brings so many things, make my tingling skin freeze.
Follow a Panda bear and make Twitter a better place!
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you for report this!
Yes monster mayhem is now re-published by our own brand again
The new version is almost the same as the old one
But support iPad too!!
Highly recommend who didn't own to downlod or already have to get it again
Thank you and all Taplay lovers and beta testers of monster mayhem once again!!
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taplay View Post
Which version would that be? Freemium or not? I see there's loads of IAP currency options in the game's iTunes description. How much does this game rely on IAP in order to play it?
02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taplay View Post
Thank you for report this!
Yes monster mayhem is now re-published by our own brand again
But support iPad too!!
Highly recommend who didn't own to downlod or already have to get it again
Thank you and all Taplay lovers and beta testers of monster mayhem once again!!
so... hopefully this one will stay in the AppStore? I've got both the previous versions on my PC...

But... your (Taplay's) releases seem to be very stable in terms of sticking around (at least from my experience)... so hopefully this one is here for good?
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Which version would that be? Freemium or not? I see there's loads of IAP currency options in the game's iTunes description. How much does this game rely on IAP in order to play it?
This Taplay version has optional IAP. In game money accrual is reasonable and weapon upgrading is paced (restricted by level) so there is little obvious benefit to IAP. I found it similar to the original premium Chillingo release. If still free this is essential.
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I've long been a fan of this game, great one!

Tim Eggers
@Tim_Eggers
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
This Taplay version has optional IAP. In game money accrual is reasonable and weapon upgrading is paced (restricted by level) so there is little obvious benefit to IAP. I found it similar to the original premium Chillingo release. If still free this is essential.
Thanks for the quick opinion/response! I downloaded it and went to install it, only to find my husband bought the original Chillingo version ages ago. LOL!! I played both back to back, and I see that the difference is that in the new version the graphics are slightly smoother, the monsters come slightly faster and don't appear to give as much cash up when killed, and when you're done a level you get told you're getting a bonus to unlock weapons, with a great big finger pointing to the "buy more coins" button in case you "need" it.

I prefer the slightly slower pace of the original, so I'm going to play that. For those that don't have a choice, the new version is very nice and so close to the original one as to be worth picking up and trying, even with the Big Fat IAP "finger".