★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Love RPGs - Won't play on iOS

02-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Love RPGs - Won't play on iOS

So I have a big dilemna.

On console and PC, I absolutely love RPGs. All the way from Zelda on Gameboy or FFIII on SNES when they came out, to Resonance of Fate or Fallout New Vegas last year and many in-between. By far my favourite genre, and as a games professional one of my goals is to someday make an RPG.

BUT
for some reason I can't seem to like RPGs on iPhone, such as the Zenonia series. They are just too time and attention demanding for the context in which I use my iPhone (commute, waiting room...)

Anyone feels the same? Any light, easy to get into RPG to recommend and talk me over?

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
02-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I've never really put much time into any on IOS either despite playing them to death on other systems. Not sure if it's the touchscreen, the too small text, or just the almost adequate but not very polished ports.

Might give Final Fantasy tactics another go although I've never really managed to get into that one on any of the systems despite wanting to.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

02-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Zenonia is hardly comparable to Final Fantasy or Zelda and not even representative of modern iOS RPGs. Consider Fall of Angels (JRPG), CrimsonHeart (KRPG), or Knighturn (SRPG).
02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I have the opposite viewpoint: I find it difficult to spend any quality time with RPGs on any other platform but iOS. Over the past year I've picked up Torchlight, the Deathspank series, Trails in the Sky, Deux Ex: Human Revolutions, Two Worlds 2, and several other RPGs on a variety of platforms, but I either don't have enough time at home to play them properly (or in the case of the PSP ones I just hate using it on the road).

Conversely, during the same time period I've put hours upon hours into games like Bard's Tale and Fantasy Chronicle. They're easily accessible, easy to jump in and out of, have rational save systems, and play pretty darn well.

I am looking to the new Tales game coming out on the 3DS, since I do find myself using my 3DS on my commute. But I'll still be playing RPGs on my iPhone, too.
02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xenosage
Actually, there's a plenty of KRPGs, like Fantastic Knight, Exitium, recently brought Soul Tamer Kiki, Aurum Blade and many other... I can't tell other names, for I'm mentioning only universal ones (iPad user here). Also Pocket RPG, Knights of The Phantom Castle, Guardian Saga, of course Bard's Tale, Princess Fury and so on, and so forth...

- Finished and recommended: Battleheart, Drawn: The Painted Tower and Dark Flight, Supermagical, Fantastic Knight, Jelly Defense, Brave Ghost
- Currently playing: MinoMonsters, Vampire Slasher, Lightning Fighter x Francesca
- Waiting for: Give me Disciples for iOS? <please>
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for those suggestions, I'll check them out.
Any RPG that's not Fantasy? (tricky one even on other platforms i know ^^)

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
02-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I have the opposite viewpoint: I find it difficult to spend any quality time with RPGs on any other platform but iOS. Over the past year I've picked up Torchlight, the Deathspank series, Trails in the Sky, Deux Ex: Human Revolutions, Two Worlds 2, and several other RPGs on a variety of platforms, but I either don't have enough time at home to play them properly (or in the case of the PSP ones I just hate using it on the road).

Conversely, during the same time period I've put hours upon hours into games like Bard's Tale and Fantasy Chronicle. They're easily accessible, easy to jump in and out of, have rational save systems, and play pretty darn well.
That's how I feel, too. Not just with RPGs, but just gaming in general. I have my iPad with me at just about all times, so I can jump into any of my iOS games on the fly. When I want to play Skyrim or something on a console or PC, I literally need to plan ahead just to manage making any substantial progress.

iOS gaming is just way more convenient.
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
standard post about how most of these named here games are not f rpgs but something different.
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eev View Post
standard post about how most of these named here games are not f rpgs but something different.
I am confused.
02-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I am confused.
me too, when i see how therm rpg is used in a wrong way like in this topic.