Best casual games for a mom?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Luuthian, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Hey everyone,

My mom has had an iPad for about a year now, and I'm finally at the point where I'm struggling to find more games to keep her interest. She already has several she's either completed or become bored of, so I was looking for something new. Any suggestions? Currently she has:

-Monopoly
    -Scrabble
    -Uno
    -Solitaire
    -Plants Vs. Zombies
    -Wheel of Fortune
    -Yahtzee
    -Angry Birds
    -Peggle
    -Battleship
    -Bejewled

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    All of the PathPix games. I've yet to introduce those to someone who didn't end up loving them.

3. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Cut the Rope and Where's My Water.

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    My mom loves Wooords, bookworm, and welder

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Off The Leash
    Temple Run
    Jetpack Joyride
    Fruit Ninja
    Monsters Ate My Condo
    Climber Brothers

Some games that are pretty easy at least in the beginning :)

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    my mum loves com2us' slice it

7. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #7 Isilel, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    If The Secret of Grisly Manor is still free, you could try that too. It is pretty, short and sweet and women tend to like hidden object/ puzzle adventure games.

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    7 little words <-- that game was BUILT for moms.. And everyone really.. I used to play and she would look over my shoulder and join in.. Then she ended up playing it all the time, despite being afraid of touch screen devices previously. Lol

text twist- good word game I used to play on the computer.. Really fun

Bookworm - another one from the computer games.. Great wordgame

Chuzzle- another computer game, match 3 but really fluffy and cute. Mom used to play this one alot.. For some reason it's funner then other match 3s

Crossword puzzle apps- CRUX etc

Zen puzzle garden - beautiful puzzler with easy controls and very easy to pick up and play

Joining hands - if she likes puzzles/logic you HAVE to get this game, my entire family has fallen in love with it, it's a unique puzzler and it's just amazing.. It slowly teaches you how to play and the progression of difficulty is perfect, I've finished the game and still adore it, I want to play it again and again!

Scribblenauts is pretty awesome.. Mum joined in playing this one with me.. It's very easy to play, you just have to type in a word and that word is invented into an object to finish the levels (like make this classroom ready for class: so you make a ruler, chalk, teacher, student, pencil, etc) it's like using your mind to create whatever answer you want in many different ways, but it is a bit simple .. Mom said "isn't this a kids game" and I said probably, but it's till fun!

Say what you see- this is another definite, mom loves this and so does my grandma and sister, etc suitable for the whole family, simple to play but very fun.. There's canvases to choose from, (such as rock concerts, romantic comedies, Christmas songs, etc) and you must answer 50 clues in each puzzle, one might be a picture of a weight in a manger, and the answer is "away in the manger" one might simply be a picture of a half dollar: answer "50 cent" a guy with a hammer smashing a pumpkin "smashing pumpkins" very fun!

max and the magic marker- another fun one for all ages, it's a platformer, not much difficulty, but their is some logic elements, you must get through the levels using max and also his magic marker, which is actually drawing on screen a line or a bridge that max can walk over, or protect him
    From Thunder clouds by making him walk under a drawn bubble, etc

Beyond ynth
    Gorgeous platformer with lots of levels, very cute and charming, logic elements too

Bag it- a puzzle game based around groceries, it's REALLY fun, you have to fit groxeries in a bag but you have to use logic where to playthings like watermelon at the bottom, bread at the top- another one of moms favorites. She stole my iPad for days to play that one.

Gelato mania- fun casual puzzler, you must make the same gelato displayed on the screen by using tools, like scoop two scoops of ice cream, add colored dye, blend, add toppings all the same as shown to advanced to the next round- loved this one- finished it aswell lots of levels

Charadium HD - play pictionary agianst other live players in a chat room of several people or a one on one "ping pong" game where you play one go, then the other person guesses when they are ready and sends on back, I play against family. There all addicted to it major
    Depict is a simpler version but i prefer charades but if Ur a slow typed depict is better cause u choose the answer out of 6 answers instead of typing the answer

Rope rescue

Rolling kongs

Ice cream mania

Try out all the lites and see if she likes them. I'm sure they'd be heaps she loves. Casual games seemed to be loved by most of my Fam - all ages!

9. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    #9 Jxsgamer, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    Just a guess

I was going to say scrabble, but looking down that list... :<

Maybe Cover Orange,
    it is a simple physic puzzler and has TONs of levels.
    Should keep her busy for awhile.

10. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Oh, and how could I have forgotten Azkend? It is a nice mix between match 3 with some twists and a hidden objects game, with beautiful music and presentation.

11. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    While I'm not "app savvy enough" yet to offer any suggestions of my own, just thought I'd pop in and thank everyone who HAS offered suggestions in this thread.

The ability to enjoy casual games spans all ages and genders. Myself, I enjoy a few levels of Angry Birds every now and then just as much as I enjoy 100-hour RPGs or challenging action titles.

I'm sure I'll check most of these out, at least in their "Lite" forms. Many of the games like Where's My Water? I start to lose interest in once they get out of the "tutorial" levels and into the "plan X moves ahead" levels. So it's nice to have several different options to rotate between.

Growing up in the Atari 2600 and NES era, it's nice to see "Apps" turning the clock back to a simpler time, where gameplay and originality are more important than throwing hours of graphically impressive cutscenes into the game.

Right, old-fogey ramble done. :p

12. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Oh my god, I did not expect this many replies. Thank you all! This is a treasure trove of suggestions! :D

I've saved all the names so I'll be looking at this list for a while. Can't afford to buy all of these at once, but I'll see if I can grab some lite versions and what not.

Thanks for the help!

13. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Great free games are all of the game circus llc apps pretty much all old style carnival games like coindozer and prize claw

14. Niura

Niura Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Zombie Zoo and Sundae Maker are nice

15. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Coin dozer lite is free and very easy to pick up and play.. It's just like a claw catcher game in real life.. It's quite addictive..you hsbt to collect each set of toys..can take a long time., I played the Chinese new year version one for months! There's also a cookie version ..all are free.. They're brilliant..and if u get really addicted u can set ur clock to an hour later to speedup coin collection

16. Makaze

Makaze Active Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Fairway Solitaire HD

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Casual? No.

Let your moms play Chaos Rings, TWEWY, the big 4 iOS roguelikes. They will realize that theyre kids are learning how to focus, how to build their character, and they will learn the value of exploration.

Let your moms play Neuroshima Hex, Summoner Wars and Magic 2012. She will realize you are doing this to avoid spending more on the physical games these iOS counterparts represent, and to show her that you know the value of things, and you have the choices in which you choose the more practical ones. She will also see how these games practice your thinking skills through strategy and preparations for counter strategies.

Let your moms play the brilliant Kairosoft titles and other management games, so she realizes her kids learn economy, and the value of things, living and non-living, and that the kids learn how to manage theyre resources through thick and thin.

Let your moms play Fruit Ninja, to make her realize that once in a while, playing with food can be fun.

18. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #18 TheGreatEscaper, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    *clap clap clap*

Anyway, my contribution: if you like puzzle games check out Andrea Sabbatini's 100 logic games (the number may have changed over updates but searchin Andrea Sabbatini will yield results). Free, lots of puzzles, very clever. Some puzzle types get very difficult but there are definitely some puzzle types which can be casual fun.

The Rayman Run games can be good casual fun too, if you're looking for something more reflex oriented.

A definitely casual game that is my shameful addiction is called HuntCook and while the subject matter (running a wild catch restaurant) might not appeal the graphics are very cute and it's a very addictive idle type game. Still not sure why I like this one so much!

19. Aurora.Hope

Aurora.Hope Member

Apr 16, 2016
    United States
    Bookworms and Scrabble

20. Slayerplayer

Slayerplayer Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Game developer
    Pakistan
    cut the rope
    where is my water