Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I don't really mind that grooh looks like totoro.. It's a cute character and I like it, the art is the best part of the game, that's the reason I was drawn to the game, finally picked it up, it's very cute and feels more unique then I thought it'd be judging by the gameplay videos.
Haven't played much of it yet but so far it seems cute and unique.. I love the color changing elements too, but the gameplay is a little stale..kinda like a match 3 I guess..I haven't seen too much of a challenge yet but I've only played 5 levels , I'll play it more later and see if it gets more challenging..it looks like you complete the level no matter how many moves you make so there's no real challenge unless your going for gold medals but even then it's quite easy..needs some sort of extra gameplay element to make it challenging..maybe later more will come..
But it's very adorable and fun so far..so I'm happy with the purchase
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I spoke too soon about it not being challenging, I just gave it another go and it gets very challenging! And there is a move limit too! I'm loving it actually.. I was really stressed whenni played it earlier and was hardly paying attention to it, now that I've relaxed a little I'm really enjoying this game, it's very unique and makes you think, heaps of different fun gameplay elements like boxes and tele porters, rainbow blocks, you really have to rack you brain to solve some if them! I love it.. I didn't think I'd like it this much just by watching the gameplay trailers.. It kinda looked like a match 3 or something but it doesnt feel anything like a match 3!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I have a hard time playing the game because you can't listen to your own music instead of the in-game music.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Why the bejeebus is no one talking about this? This is one if the best puzzlers I've played in a really long time, definitely the best puzzler of 2012 so far, I haven't been hooked on a game like this since joining hands..it's one of those games you obsessively need to keep playing.. I'm up to level 50 and I'm starting to get depressed cause I know it's half way over but I have had countless hours of fun out of it already.went back today getting gold medals.. Totally in love with it and I may cry if more levels aren't added. I'm addicted.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Hello everyone,

I'm Alex from digiDingo ag. I was in charge of the art, animations & sounds.
If anyone is guilty about Totoro, then... it's me!

I just wanted to write something here, because generally I feel that there's not a lot of direct interaction between the game developers/companies and the players playing their game(s)... Which is a bit a shame, because YOU buy our games, and we should really be thankful about that. And listen to your complains as well, then try to improve our products.

@ Qurao
Thanks, I didn't know that you can do something like that; personally I never used that feature. I'll tell my Boss about it!
What if you disable the "BGM" in the title screen (but keep the SFX) and listen to your own tunes? Does it work? Is it what you are looking for?
BUT, I think that Grooh's soundtrack is really enjoyable as it is. (Even though I have to admit, I never really play my iOS games with the sound on - it's a shame, I know...)

@ Snozberry
Thank you for your nice words, that's really appreciated
Did you finish the game yet?
Quote:
I may cry if more levels aren't added. I'm addicted.
Hoho, there *may* be something like that in the pipeline
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex R. View Post
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to write something here, because generally I feel that there's not a lot of direct interaction between the game developers/companies and the players playing their game(s)... Which is a bit a shame, because YOU buy our games, and we should really be thankful about that. And listen to your complains as well, then try to improve our products.

@ Qurao
Thanks, I didn't know that you can do something like that; personally I never used that feature. I'll tell my Boss about it!
What if you disable the "BGM" in the title screen (but keep the SFX) and listen to your own tunes? Does it work? Is it what you are looking for?
BUT, I think that Grooh's soundtrack is really enjoyable as it is. (Even though I have to admit, I never really play my iOS games with the sound on - it's a shame, I know...)

@ Snozberry

Devs interacting with the player community is definitely a huge plus in the touch arcade world..it's appreciated and respected very much, and often will be a fan for life and instabuy all the devs future games out of respect for the dev and actually wanting to support them a bit more.

Alot of people here tend to feel guilty about paying such a small price for hours of entertainment, I do myself.
So I will definitely be purchasing any other game this developer makes, and I'd instabuy any game with graphics by Alex too, because I am totally in love with the artwork. It's amazing! It's definitely what drew me to the game in the first place, but the challenging, unique and fun gameplay is what got me to continue to play! The combination of both gameplay and graphics has made grooh appear on my top 5 game sof all time list
It is very much adored in my household. The whole family was forced to see how cute grooh was, I love when he changes color and lifts his arms, he is flawless.

Out of curiosity..was grooh inspired by totoro? I think it's a friendly inspired-look but different enough to have everyone easily tell the two are different.
It's a friendly inspiration, in my opinion..maybe like a shout out to totoro.. Or maybe it was a complete coincidence.. Who knows,.but I think snorlax and totoro look kinda similar too.
I love grooh and I honestly don't think unwound have bought the game if it wasn't for the appearance of grooh, and I didn't even know what totoro was back then..so it's not like I confused grooh for totoro or something..
Does it bother you, alex, when people make that comparison or is it cool?

Do you have any other iOS games that you worked on?
I can see your brilliant and would love to see your other work !

Do you reckon a grooh sequel could ever happen?
I'm seriously addicted

I'm on level 66 and can't seem to pass it
Last time I played I had drank a few bourbons and couldn't think entirely straight so I'm going to give it another go later on and should hopefully be able to pass it then

When abouts is an update coming? Like several months away..or less ?

Omg I'm citttedd .. I hope you come on here when updates are in the process, and give some teasers like screen shots or drawn mock ups or whatever..
It'd be good to get more people talking bout grooh.. Strangely, TA isnt huge on puzzles..there's alot of puzzle fans here..but majority are hardcore gamers I think..who like battlefield and skyrim or whatever and not so much fans of cute fluffy things like grooh!

It really sucks that a stupid game that requires no logic, like angry birds, gets hoards of attention..grooh should be getting that attention!

But grooh is going pretty good so far..it's been featured in the AppStore since it was released!
Was in featured, then what's hot, then fluffy lovable characters, and now undiscovered..so it seems to be getting lots of apple- loving.. Hopefully it'll be the next angry birds soon, cause it sure as hell deserves it much more then AB does! Least you a ctually have to think while playing it, and it has gorgeous graphics and unique gameplay. The AppStore is kinda strange sometimes..
They like to feed the boring azz mkanstream casual gamers who like to mindlessly fling birds and enjoy it so much they need to own a angry birds beach towel, thongs, coffee mug and iPhone case, and possibly even a tattoo goddammit! Lol.
But hey, if I was hipster enough to get a game character tattooed on me, I'd pick grooh for sure
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

@ Snozberry
Oh wow, you just wrote a book!
I'll try to answer you as best as I can!

First: thanks again for your nice words! I'm glad that you like the game.

Quote:
Out of curiosity..was grooh inspired by totoro? I think it's a friendly inspired-look but different enough to have everyone easily tell the two are different.
Yes and no! Actually, Grooh was a human when we started to work on the game. But the setting wasn't that great (I think), so we decided to change a lot of things in the game, and I drew a "monster" instead of a human...

Here's a visual example of what happened with the main character:

Quote:
Does it bother you, alex, when people make that comparison or is it cool?
It's a bit sad to read that it's just a "blatant rip-off"; it's also sad to read people commenting and saying bad things about the main character, and not even trying to see how the game works... But as I said, this is mainly my fault, so I'll try to improve that part for the next game(s). Other than that, yes, I'm cool with the comparisons, of course!

Quote:
Do you have any other iOS games that you worked on?
I can see your brilliant and would love to see your other work !
This is my first iOS game (and very probably not the last one?), but I worked on A LOT of other games before, mainly Flash-based games (but also Game Boy Advance).
Ah, you may love a game I did completely by myself (except the soundtrack); it's called "[URL="http://www.dot-invasion.com/dbis/"]Bubble Islands[/URL]". It was finalist as "Best Web Browser Game" in 2007 during the Game Developers Conference (GDC)! Since you like Grooh that much, I guess that you'll love the "Puzzle Mode" of Bubble Islands?
(I can hear people scream that it's a blatant Kirby rip-off!)

Quote:
When abouts is an update coming? Like several months away..or less ?
It has to be released very quickly! So, a lot less than "several months away"

Quote:
It really sucks that a stupid game that requires no logic, like angry birds, gets hoards of attention..grooh should be getting that attention!
I kinda agree (I'm not talking about Grooh specifically)... but I see very well why games like Angry Birds are selling that much. It's a bit sad for the other games that are more interesting, but this is what people are paying for right now!

Quote:
But grooh is going pretty good so far..it's been featured in the AppStore since it was released! Was in featured, then what's hot, then fluffy lovable characters, and now undiscovered..so it seems to be getting lots of apple- loving.
*ahem* Well, not really. The game has been featured several times in the AppStore, that's right. There are several reviews about it on the web already (mostly positive, there's no bad review about it yet), and I think that more reviews will be done soon (we sent the game to Touch Arcade 1 month ago, but it looks like we are getting ignored?). Unfortunately, sales aren't strong...

Quote:
Do you reckon a grooh sequel could ever happen?
We have ideas, yes... But if Grooh doesn't work at all, we'll need to try something more... simple? More straightforward? Immediate fun? I don't know, and I'm sorry, but that's the truth T_T
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

It's a shame this game isn't getting more attention, I posted a positve review for you guys on itunes and have told a few of my friends about it; unfortunately they're not puzzle enthusiasts like myself. I could care less if the protagonist is pikachu's doppleganger as long as the gameplay is good. Anyone reading this who likes puzzles should definitely give it a go.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

It's so interesting to hear more about the background of the making of grooh, and seeing the character evolve is absolutely awesome!
Very glad you chose to make grooh a monster instead of the human because surely that cute fluffy grooh will attract lot of fans who are a fan of other things like sanrio, hello kitty, totoro, pokemon, etc.
I love all of them, so that's why I had to get grooh, even if I hated puzzle games id still have to buy it because he is so adorable!
I really love the 2nd version of grooh too, the broom is really unique! Was he going to sweep the ground to change color? Because that's absolutely awesome! I love the end grooh the best though, but I'm really appreciative to see the other versions of grooh! Thank you so much for sharing I love seeing stuff like that! And I love hearing the insights behind the scenes.

I will definitely check out the game you mentioned, and excited to hear it's a puzzle game, because I'm a huge fan of the genre.
Do you have a website? I'd love to check it out :3

I really hope you don't give up on iOS gaming.. Even if grooh doesn't do as well as expected.. It takes few to strike good..and it's definitely possible!
Angry birds and fruit ninja really shouldn't have taken much production costs, and look how much revenue they raked in..but yeah I think PR is a big part of it..the companies with the big budgets seem to get the furtherest..even with blatant clones like angry birds ripping off crush the castle.
"blatant clone" is a word tossed around alot on TA so I really wouldn't take offense to it if I were you! The word is thrown around so often, it should be taken with a grain of salt!
I thadnt even heard of totoro before grooh..but after comparing the two they are easily recognised as different characters, no one wouod actually confuse one for the other, so in my opinion that's not a "blatant clone" at all.
The only similarities is their body shape really..but many characters have that body shape, including snorlax.. So meh! I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and it really makes the game!

Excited to hear the levels will be released soon, I'd definitely pay for level packs so maybe you could consider charging for them to get more revenue..
I really think the people who have actually played grooh absolutely love it, but too many people haven't played grooh..so maybe you should try to get your small cult like following to continue to pay for levels to help with costs..because insure a huge amount would be willing.but then again alot of people are against IAP so you'd have to consider that too..

It's a shame TA hasn't reviewed grooh yet, but sometimes it takes awhile to be reviewed..sometimes it takes months.. But I'm sure they will review it eventually..they can be slack sometimes..
Since I'm mainly a puzzle fan I often wait around for TAto review the game, and sometimes I'll be waiting months..they seem to review games that get the most responses over the past..big games with lots of shooting and killing or whatever.

It's a shame sales haven't been too good..I really thought because it's been on the app store front page for weeks that it'd have good sales.. That really sucks ...alot of people seem to hold out buying a game waiting for it to go on sale cause very often a game is released at $2 or$3 then drops to 99c the week or two later..so maybe people are waiting for a 99c sale..and maybe you should give it to them? I know it's kinda u fair giving away this brilliant game for even cheaper then $2, which is already an absolute bargain.. But people are extremely cheap in the app store world since most games are 99c..if you did a sale it'd show up on all those websites that report sales, and it might even cause a few review sites to report on it..and when people see it's on sale it's poke them with a prod to hurry up and buy since it's a one day sale..alot of people probably have this on their wishlist but haven't bought it yet..and word of mouth is always good..I really think you could benefit from it, but may Wylie panning to do that a bit later on?

I really hope grooh gets the attention it deserves, it really makes me sad seeing these countless gorgeous unique puzzlers get buried under crap. I've seen it happen so many times..it just doesn't make sense to me..maybe there isn't enough puzzle fans in the appstore because lots of apple fans are kinda mindless sheep who are too cool to play games.. Eh I dunno why puzzlers don't get as much attention..maybe people just don't want to have to think and the word "puzzle" intimidates them.. Cut the rope would have been a great game but because it's targeted at the mainstream masses it is dumbed down so much that you can't even call it a puzzler since it contains no challenge whatsoever..I think the mainstream masses are afraid of a challenge so they stick with mindless flinging of a bird, and slicing of a fruit..

I'm sure grooh will get bigger though, no game ever takes off instantly..but with the exposure grooh is getting from the AppStore he really is off to a good start..honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a game featured this long in the AppStore! Every week since launch he has been on the front page! So that should be something to be very proud of..grooh will make it ..he is climbing the ladder ^.^ don't give up on him! Is there a Japanese version of grooh? I can imagine he would be pretty big in Japan .. Japanese adore characters like him..and they love puzzle games too.

And yeah sorry about the books I write! I have literally nothing to do..I'm passing time until the iPad 3 announcement, so I often come on here and rant about games I love..I actually spend more time talking about games then I do playing them lol! Can't wait for more grooh though! You should do some sort of promos to get people attracted..can't you do some promo code contest give sways or something? You could make a thread in the promo code section of TA and offer a promo for who ever likes on Facebook and shares a post or something, and randomly pick 1 winner out of every 10 shares Or something,
Also you could offer a $10 iTunes card for whoever gets the highest score and posts a screen shot or something.
Or maybe a contest where people suggest a new location for the new levels..
Just anything to get people talking! And a sale maybe..
Doing it while the game is still featured in the AppStore would probably benefit it even moreso..

Ps if there is anymore grooh concept art, please post! The one you posted was absolutely awesome! Are there any plans for making new characters?

A sequel could even be a different genre of the game..with the same characters.. Save toshi, veggie samurai and saving private sheep all did that.. The characters are really awesome and should really be kept.I really love the gameplay elements too..but they could always be added to original grooh with paid level packs like where's my water does.. It could be a game like save toshi or tiki totems where you have to get grooh down to safety by breaking blocks..and maybe put a spin on it a little..or a game like home sheep home, where you have a family of grooh characters which have to help each other out to solve the puzzle.. That would be really awesome actually, I can imagine how awesome the art would be! There are so many different options grooh could pursue..and grow him into a lovable icon like Mario with several different games with the grooh character..maybe I'm just too in love with the looks of grooh! Ha ha.but I think that'd be so awesome.. There isn't enough cute unisex games in the AppStore, most are to please boys or the rest are to please young girls like barbie dress up or whatever..I love these gorgeously crafted games that can be enjoyed by both genders and I wish there was more games like them. It's kinda hard being a female gamer in the AppStore, the market isn't really targeted at us..so when we find a good game that's both aesthetically pleasing, and challenging, fun and unique, it's kinda sad when it isn't updated because there really isn't many other options. Grooh is the only game I have enjoyed so far in 2012. I hope groohs fame increases by alot so we can see more grooh stuff!

Is a lite versioning the works? Maybe that'd help..too many people are too cheap to shell out money on a game that might be crap, but if they got a little taste of how perfectly awesome grooh is, they'd fall in love with it and buy it!

Last edited by Snozberry; 03-07-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex R. View Post
Hello everyone,

@ Qurao

@ Snozberry

Saw on twitter 1.1 has been submitted..what does that contain? Bug fixes or more interesting things..?