Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

It looks like a good game, and While I haven't bought it, I would be inclined to if it had user-made levels and a level share feature.

Just something to maybe keep in mind.

On a side note, the art looks very nice.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

@ .THOTH.
Thank you for your nice words! I'm glad that you like the game.
The other day I wrote 2 new puzzle game documents; I think that they are interesting, so I hope that I'll be able to work on at least one of them.

@ Snozberry
Another book, haha

Quote:
It's so interesting to hear more about the background of the making of grooh, and seeing the character evolve is absolutely awesome!
Yes, all those behind the scenes stories are most of the time interesting

Quote:
I really love the 2nd version of grooh too, the broom is really unique! Was he going to sweep the ground to change color? Because that's absolutely awesome!
Yes! During the 1st month of development, the concept of the game was really different.

First, the main character was a human (like in the picture in my previous message), and he was a painter. I designed a bathroom, living room ...etc. The goal of the game was to paint the floor (as opposed as destroying it). And of course, once the floor is paint, you cannot go back to it (or your "work" is all messed up). Your goal was to paint all the rooms of a big building.

Then I tried to do a cute monster instead of a human, with a brush as a tail. That way he can move forward while painting the floor behind him, so it was smooth visually.

And then, I thought that this game idea was cool, but it missed something more... attractive? I thought that looking for a treasure in a castle was more entertaining than painting floors. It was like an adventure, and the player had a goal at the end, unlike the paint thing. I think it was more motivating. So: that's what we did

Quote:
I really hope you don't give up on iOS gaming.. Even if grooh doesn't do as well as expected.. It takes few to strike good..and it's definitely possible!
I hope so! But in the meantime, we started to work on our second iOS game.
We'll see how it goes!

Quote:
I really think the people who have actually played grooh absolutely love it, but too many people haven't played grooh.
There's probably a good new about that: a FREE version of Grooh was submitted recently

Quote:
It's a shame TA hasn't reviewed grooh yet, but sometimes it takes awhile to be reviewed..sometimes it takes months.. But I'm sure they will review it eventually..they can be slack sometimes.
Let's see if they review it before our next game is released then, hahaha!

Quote:
Eh I dunno why puzzlers don't get as much attention. maybe people just don't want to have to think and the word "puzzle" intimidates them.
Well, yes! Or maybe, they just want to play and have fun, without too much involvement
A quick game here, a quick game there.

Quote:
Is there a Japanese version of grooh? I can imagine he would be pretty big in Japan .. Japanese adore characters like him..and they love puzzle games too.
Yes! Well, it's the same version of the game released everywhere, but it's available in japan for sure. It's not more successful than everywhere else though.

Quote:
A sequel could even be a different genre of the game..with the same characters.
I was thinking about a sequel, yes
Maybe a game more adventure oriented, with multiple paths (like a dungeon in Zelda), but still with Grooh gameplay. That means the player is able to go back in old rooms, unlock things that he wasn't able to unlock before, find keys, items and open treasures.
BUT: no sequel in the works at the moment.

Quote:
Ps if there is anymore grooh concept art, please post! The one you posted was absolutely awesome! Are there any plans for making new characters?
Hehe, I'll not post a lot of new things here, but in order to keep you happy, here are Grooh's friends! When we implemented the gold/silver/bronze medal feature in the game, we had the idea that Grooh needs to beat the amount of steps of his comrades.
This didn't work very well, because the GUI was too cluttered, and since Grooh's friends had already a score set, that means they already destroyed all the floors... so why are all the floors intact again? :P

Quote:
Do you have a website? I'd love to check it out
Yes I do!

Quote:
Saw on twitter 1.1 has been submitted..what does that contain? Bug fixes or more interesting things..?
Well, bug fixes of course, and most importantly: new little things here and there (yay!) and a bunch of new levels (woohoo!). Yes, it's free

@ Anctoh
Quote:
It looks like a good game, and While I haven't bought it, I would be inclined to if it had user-made levels and a level share feature.
Actually, that's an awesome idea!
I talked about that when we were working on Grooh several months ago, but unfortunately that was lot of work for (maybe) no real significant sales increase? I guess that we'll never know.

...On a side note, now you'll be able to play the game without spending your money: a FREE version has been submitted
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This is a beautiful puzzler!sad it got buried.
I just discovered this with a promo code from here (there are 85 of them, you might get one if you are fast)
Just thought this game was bump-worthy.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Ram View Post
I just discovered this with a promo code from here (there are 85 of them, you might get one if you are fast)
Thanks for the heads-up. Had this on my Appshopper wishlist for a while. Found a code that worked.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Ram View Post
It certainly is.

Copied (and edited slightly) from the promo thread:

"All I can say is "wow". Talk about underrated, hidden gems, unnoticed... shit, I can't believe this hasn't gotten any attention! So frickin' polished, so well thought-out, so charming and cute. It's obvious the devs poured all their love into this one. Grooh and Blocks Hurt! are two games that have completely caught me by surprise and deserve so much bloody attention."

Syntheticvoid, get yer rear in hear (>_> sorry, I'm stupid like that) and let's start spreading the word!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

lol...

sorry, a tad bit late. But damnit, you guys are definitely right. This one is a fantastic little puzzler. Trying to get a gold medal on every stage can get pretty challenging. There's tons of spiffy mechanics for walking over different colors, moving blocks, teleporting, and I'm sure there's more, as I'm just 11 stages into it ATM. But I'm also stuck trying to get one move better on stage 11... so the challenge is there, and comes into play fairly quickly. Even though I know once I figure it out, it'll be like a 'well why the hell didn't I think of that sooner' type thing, but whatever. =oP

The graphics are great, the controls a nice and responsive, the music is cute, animations a fluid and it's just a great little game that totally got overlooked.

**edit**

ha, yeah, just figured out stage 11... and I feel pretty stupid. But this one already has me hooked. I'm gonna be playing it for the next hour or so before I head off to work. =oD
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

alright...

some of these are just getting crazy...

Stage 15... blow up all the colored spots and make it to the end in 32 moves or less for a gold medal (under 44 for silver and 73 for bronze)?

Damnit... lol... time to put my thinkin cap on!

**edit**

grr... took me 35... =oP

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 04-27-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
alright...

some of these are just getting crazy...

Stage 15... blow up all the colored spots and make it to the end in 32 moves or less for a gold medal (under 44 for silver and 73 for bronze)?

Damnit... lol... time to put my thinkin cap on!

**edit**

grr... took me 35... =oP
@syntheticvoid: enjoy stage 15-110

@all: for those who haven't seen it yet, here is the official launch trailer of grooh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZJP...eature=related
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Default motto

Congrats Alex Fantastic visuals, as always!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Haven't played this little beauty in a while..I got stuck somewhere around the lv 80 mark, went back and started gold medalling each level..
Now I've got about 75 gold medals but haven't gone back to figure out the level I was stuck on yet.
Still love this game, holds a special place in my heart. Played for hours on end and I'm pretty devastated that it never really got the attention it deserved.
It got featured in the AppStore quite a bit..but I thought more review sites would have given it a review. I think some people are just intimidated by puzzle games, they want easy gaming. They want to slice a piece of fruit while waiting for the bus. Not me though, I love curling up with a tea and playing puzzle games all afternoon.. Gives you a sense of accomplishment when you complete a hard ass level you spend ages on trying to work out.
Doesn't matter if the housework doesn't get done, or tea isn't cooked..long as I solve some wicked puzzles I feel superb.
When you think about it..there aren't many puzzle games at have gone full on mainstream..cut the rope did but I wouldn't really call it a puzzler since most levels can be passed by a 4 year old. Games where you really have to think don't seem to get as popular. There's a bunch of wonderful puzzle games, joining hands is a good example.. And they seem to get ignored. Makes me angry because it probably turns dev teams off puzzle games..and instead they make some lame angry birds clone to feed the masses. How I loathe angry birds. And angry birds shouldn't have the right to list their game under the puzzle category, seriously.
Pink grooh is so kawaii.