★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Indie app marketing

02-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Indie app marketing

Hey all,
I'm running a series of blogs on some marketing experiments on some apps i've got in the store.
Just thought if i did a 'tell all' some people here would find it interesting and useful?
Anyway if anyone's interested:

http://splinter.com.au/indie-iphone-...rketing-part-1

And umm if anyone has any better ideas i'm ALL EARS! So far, i'm thinking (but cannot confirm) that the keys are:

* Make many apps
* Cross promote with a slick 'more apps by this developer' tab in each app
* Make a different app free each week so they get picked up by all the newly-free-apps promo sites
* Make lots of updates to your apps
* Facebook ads dont work... (see blog post)
02-10-2012, 01:12 AM
What about adding a social factor? This could be anything from Game Center's leaderboards and challenge invites to tweeting and wall postings. It helps make the player spread the word by themselves, if they like the game.

Did you have any experience with that? (I didn't personally but am thinking about that..)

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!

02-10-2012, 03:30 AM
That's a good idea - however up until now, all my apps have been productivity apps not games. I'll give that a try when i make a game - thanks for the tip.
02-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviadbd View Post
What about adding a social factor? This could be anything from Game Center's leaderboards and challenge invites to tweeting and wall postings. It helps make the player spread the word by themselves, if they like the game.

Did you have any experience with that? (I didn't personally but am thinking about that..)
We're adding the following functionnality into our first game, I'll be sure to share how it's fared when it's out (march) :
- Game Center
- in-game friends ranking, ala "Diamond Dash" but connected to GC rankings
- Invite friends thru email, SMS, facebook

Nicolas

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
02-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasgb View Post
We're adding the following functionnality into our first game, I'll be sure to share how it's fared when it's out (march) :
- Game Center
- in-game friends ranking, ala "Diamond Dash" but connected to GC rankings
- Invite friends thru email, SMS, facebook

Nicolas
Has anyone had any luck advertising apps through facebook? Or using the facebook wall to find more users to an app?
02-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzappan View Post
Has anyone had any luck advertising apps through facebook? Or using the facebook wall to find more users to an app?
I advertised a facebook app on facebook last summer with my last employer, worked pretty well. By running a couple of small test campaigns (100-200) we were able to iterate and nail down our ad (icon, text, title...) to reduce our CPI from 1 to 15c. (in France)
BUT
that was for a facebook game, not a mobile app.

I'm in mobile gaming with my own company now and I would be hesitant to pay for advertising anywhere else than directly on the platform, i.e. within other apps. I'd be worried about conversion rates.

One thing facebook could do if they were serious about mobile is launch ads that appear only for mobile users.

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
02-14-2012, 02:12 AM
in my experience, for whats its worth, Facebook ads don't work.
02-15-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm really enjoying your blog, Chubs. I've read the first three pages of posts, but couldn't load anymore because I'm still waiting for internet to be connected at my house. Looking forward to Part 2!
02-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks liam! Stay tuned, i'm going to try the next marketing thing soon. My plan is to try crossmarketing. I'm only sorry that i can't show you what *works*, only what didn't work for me.

And on that note, layzerboy, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who found facebook ads to be a waste of time+money.
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Have any of you guys thought about cross-marketing opportunities with other developers? i.e. private networks?

I am working on a system with a few other developers, details and link to discussion group here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=118313

Check out our iPhone games Zombitsu and Superflick or find us at Ruma Studios.