★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium: Why do you hate/like it?

02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Freemium: Why do you hate/like it?

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE RESPONDING:

I have been on the iOS platform for 4 years now, and I have seen everything since the beginning of the App Store, iPhone OS 2. I have easily spent over $1-2k on different apps and games. I have in fact bought in-app purchases (IAP) with some of that money as well. Although the IAPs that I bought were not from fermium games, they were purchased. I have been playing fermium games since the start of them, which off the top of my head is Eliminate by ngmoco.

Since I have been on the App Store for a while and have lots of experience, I have seen lots of new people come onto the store and complain about the freemium model. I am not quite sure why they do this though. If you hate fermium apps, could you please explain why, and please make your answers detailed and not like, "Cause the devs want monehhhhhhhhhhh."

In my opinion, the freemium model is something that is a cool thing. The ability to play a full game without paying is a beautiful concept to me. I think that if you want to pay for the extra "energy," or whatever the IAPs are in that game, that is great for you. I think that most people only hate the freemium model is that they cannot spend more time that about 30 minutes on the app at once(?).

I personally like not having the ability to play the game for long periods of time, and that if the game is well designed, graphically and gameplay wise, that it will most definitely keep me coming back and playing more of it. With the short play sessions it makes it to where I cannot beat the game in one sitting which is awesome for me.

To those of you that hate freemium:
In a hypothetical situation, let us say that Tiny Tower by NimbleBit is a $0.99 app. Now the IAPs for the game are still in the app, but it is in fact a paid app instead of free. Would you feel more compelled to get it because you have to buy the game? I really don't understand why this would make you want to play it more.

More to the freemium haters of TA:
If the above situation didn't fix your hate towards freemium, how about this: Name one free mum app that you absolutely hate, and give some legitimate reasons at to why you hate its freemium model. Also, tell me how you would change the payment model to make the game better and more enjoyable(?) to you.

/end rant

Last edited by [M&B]Games; 02-07-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fixed typo x3 (stupid Mac autocorrect)
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
lol fermium.

Game Center ID: Quazonk
Twitter: @GomeraMosking

02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[M&B
I personally like not having the ability to play the game for long periods of time
Argument, meet toilet.

02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazonk View Post
Argument, meet toilet.
TouchArcade, meet troll.
02-07-2012, 08:04 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/search...archid=8698755

I'm guessing this is a weekly thing.

Twitter: @back2this
02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
http://forums.toucharcade.com/search...archid=8698755

I'm guessing this is a weekly thing.
Lol. :P A lot of those posts are just saying, "I hate it." I would like to know what is so bad about it? I don't see a problem, yet other people do.
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I think I'm going to pass on arguing/debating in this one.
/tempted

To each his own, but please do sign me up for a different ship.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I not keen on in-game-currency; there are some games where it seems essential and it makes it difficult to see how much it's going to cost in the long run. To me, it's essentially a subscription model, and I'm not willing to subscribe to an iOS game.

I don't mind if the currency acts as a cheat code though, like in Jetpack Joyride
02-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [M&B]Games View Post
TouchArcade, meet troll.
Hey guys, your boy Quaze here *waves* haha.

But c'mon man, seriously? When you're playing a game, and suddenly "We're sorry, you've used all your available playtime/tokens/coins/etc" or something to that effect comes across the screen, "Cool! I love not having the freedom to continue playing " is your response? Sorry man, just seemed a little off to me. Definitely not a good argument in favor of freemium, anyhow. Most people like being able to play their games with the freedom to play them to their hearts content, call me crazy. Or a troll, your choice.

02-07-2012, 11:37 PM
It really depends how the freemium model is implemented. Games like Jetpack Joyride and Off the Leash use the model incredibly well; you get all the gameplay content for free, and there's additional optional items/accessories to buy with coins earned in game or thru IAP.

And Quazonk pretty much summed up the other part of freemium which most people dislike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazonk View Post
But c'mon man, seriously? When you're playing a game, and suddenly "We're sorry, you've used all your available playtime/tokens/coins/etc" or something to that effect comes across the screen, "Cool! I love not having the freedom to continue playing " is your response? Sorry man, just seemed a little off to me. Definitely not a good argument in favor of freemium, anyhow. Most people like being able to play their games with the freedom to play them to their hearts content, call me crazy. Or a troll, your choice.
IMO freemium is fine if implemented correctly, but since most devs don't, people tend to dislike freemium games.