Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quick feedback here.

The full Arabian Nights table is included in the app, while the other three have free trials. Unlike most pinball trials, these are based on a score limit, not a time limit, so you can experience a pretty hefty chunk of gameplay before committing to a purchase.

You can buy the Theatre of Magic table for $NZ4.19, Ripley's for NZ$5.29, or Black Hole for NZ$2.59; buying all three of the tables at once costs NZ$12.99 - which, in a bizarre twist, is actually almost a dollar more expensive than buying all of the tables individually.

Pros: Four "real" pinball tables, with all that entails. There is a lot of detail here, with music, sound effects, goals, minigames, and animations all lifted from the actual machines.

There are very in-depth instructions for each table, showing what to do and how to do it, as well as a brief history of each of the different tables.

Cons: Suffers a bit from floaty 90s-era video game "plastic pinball" physics, for those seeking a hyper-realistic simulation.

Leaderboards are only available to Facebook users, with no exceptions, and there are no achievements for those who hyperventilate over these.

The Black Hole table might be good for nostalgia value, but is visually bland, aurally monotonous, and generally looks and feels like something somebody threw together as part of their Visual Basic homework.

So far, three of the tables have proven to be pretty fun, and there are quite a few more slated to be released in the future; my preference here would be for more modern, complex tables, rather than the older, more basic ones like Black Hole.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
You can buy the Theatre of Magic table for $NZ4.19, Ripley's for NZ$5.29, or Black Hole for NZ$2.59; buying all three of the tables at once costs NZ$12.99 - which, in a bizarre twist, is actually almost a dollar more expensive than buying all of the tables individually.
Thats ridiculous ! Sounds like something has gone wrong and hopefully will be fixed
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM
iPhone 5

yeah I expect thats probably an error there. Luckily I'm sure it'll all be ironed out before the NA release tonight...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for your quick review, Appletini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
90s-era video game "plastic pinball" physics
Ouch! Did you, Appletini, play any of the ZEN Pinballs (I know those are fantasy pinballs)? If yes—what would you say: Better, equal or worse physics in PA?

Quote:
Leaderboards are only available to Facebook users
Ouch once more! Not even local leaderboards?! Even being not really old I never had a FB account and will never have. It seems that I'll instabuy the first table and test thoroughly before buying another…

Last edited by Habakuk; 02-08-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM
iPhone 5

I don't know about the "plastic pinball" physics in PA. All I do know is that I prefer the feel of Williams Pinball HOF on the PS3 to Zen Pinball. I doubt Farsight's physics engine has gotten worse since then so I'm pretty sure I'll love PA...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Ouch once more! Not even local leaderboards?! Even being not really old I never had a FB account and will never have. It seems that I'll instabuy the first table and test thoroughly before buying another…[/QUOTE

I totally agree. I think most of the players are middle aged guy´s who played the tables for real
some years ago.Most of us don´t have an facebook account and don´t want it.
We need online leaderboards without facebook. I don´t want that teeny shit.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Have to agree with most on the facebook leaderboards thing:

I do have facebook but i don't want to spam it with all kinds of leaderboard postings

C'mon farsight, it isn't that hard to implement both game center(with achievements) and facebook leaderboards, so that people have a choice of what to chose!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This was a blast on my Psp ... I can only imagine on my ...... how late I will be up tonight ....? If sleep is a option that is lol
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Ouch! Did you, Appletini, play any of the ZEN Pinballs (I know those are fantasy pinballs)? If yes—what would you say: Better, equal or worse physics in PA?
It's similar to Zen, but the ball feels like it has less weight, and the implementation feels altogether more like the Gameprom tables - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, although I know some people hate those tables for that specific reason. Occasionally the ball will "bounce" mid-flight when there's no reason for it to do so (and the table hasn't been nudged). On a 4th gen iPod Touch, the Ripley's table also has some pretty noticeable framerate issues.

On a side note, I actually prefer this style of play over that found in Age of Pinballs, as in that game the ball feels far too heavy, and the tables are designed such that most shots seem destined to hit dead parts of the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Ouch once more! Not even local leaderboards?! Even being not really old I never had a FB account and will never have. It seems that I'll instabuy the first table and test thoroughly before buying another…
There is a local high score list for each table, but the global leaderboards require Facebook.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Is there landscape mode for iPhone? I'm pretty psyched for this but i can't play pinball in portrait mode. Would really appreciate à response if anyone knows