Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautboy View Post
Is there landscape mode for iPhone? I'm pretty psyched for this but i can't play pinball in portrait mode. Would really appreciate response if anyone knows
Dont think there is, seriously cant play it in portrait ? Think pinball games have to be portrait due to the pinball table itself
Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
It's similar to Zen, but the ball feels like it has less weight, and the implementation feels altogether more like the Gameprom tables - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, although I know some people hate those tables for that specific reason. Occasionally the ball will "bounce" mid-flight when there's no reason for it to do so (and the table hasn't been nudged). On a 4th gen iPod Touch, the Ripley's table also has some pretty noticeable framerate issues.

On a side note, I actually prefer this style of play over that found in Age of Pinballs, as in that game the ball feels far too heavy, and the tables are designed such that most shots seem destined to hit dead parts of the field.

There is a local high score list for each table, but the global leaderboards require Facebook.
As long as they have the full local leaderboards I'm good. Global leaderboards are a nice extra and, I agree, Facebook based is kind of weak, but then again GC and OF have major issues as well (GC with it's hard limit of no more than 25 leaderboards for a game and somehow making it nearly impossible for devs to cull hacked scores and OF simply being poorly maintained now).

For one company to deliver this game on every platform is a tall order so I think it is safe to assume there will be some bumps in the road but at least with the iOS version they KNOW they can release updates on the fly for better optimization of the main engine (not like they can make drastic changes, but I'm willing to bet framerate issues can be smoothed out a bit in a few updates).
Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautboy View Post
Is there landscape mode for iPhone? I'm pretty psyched for this but i can't play pinball in portrait mode. Would really appreciate response if anyone knows
Yep, the game has both landscape and portrait orientations. There are also three camera angles, each of which can be toggled between scrolling and locked.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox View Post
awesome, just in time for my iCade-pinball-mod
Uhhhhhh....this needs its own thread. With pictures...and is making me question why I didn't buy an iCade for half price when I had the chance.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Uhhhhhh....this needs its own thread. With pictures...and is making me question why I didn't buy an iCade for half price when I had the chance.
Well he modded his own icade to have buttons on the side, obviously not in the normal icade you buy. Plus i dont think most of the pinball games are icade compatible so he must have jailbreaked his device or used another method to get it working with the icade

If the icades half price i cant see why people dont buy it instantly, superb piece of kit
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

was holding out on Age of Pinballs, and this comes along... i think this is the one I'm getting XD
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Well he modded his own icade to have buttons on the side, obviously not in the normal icade you buy. Plus i dont think most of the pinball games are icade compatible so he must have jailbreaked his device or used another method to get it working with the icade

If the icades half price i cant see why people dont buy it instantly, superb piece of kit
I understand he modded the iCade, hence why I think it should have its own thread and needs pictures. Bed Bath and Beyond was selling them half off a while back. I didn't buy one, because I don't generally play anything that would be compatible. But if I could have played pinball with one, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Suffers a bit from floaty 90s-era video game "plastic pinball" physics, for those seeking a hyper-realistic simulation.
Sometimes I wonder if the feel of the table isn't because it's a bad simulation, but rather because it's simulating a table configured in a way you'd rarely see in the real world.

For example, the real tables that I've sunk the most time into had their legs adjusted to the highest slope and old rubber. The high slope speeds up how fast the ball comes down, making it less floaty and more challenging (so the arcade owner gets more quarters). The old rubber is stiff so the ball doesn't bounce around as much.

Pinball Arcade is probably simulating a table with the recommended slope setting and fresh rubber, making everything feel floatier and bouncier than the table at a real arcade is likely to be.

Last edited by famousringo; 02-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Replaced "tilt" with "slope" for clarity
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
iPhone 5

if this isn't several orders of magnitude better than AOP I'll be pretty surprised (and dissappointed)...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
stuff like this has already its own thread, have a look: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...9&postcount=99

greetings

MJFox