★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Twenty years ago, the demoness Urgoroth rose to power from the depths of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds. She was defeated, but your parents were lost in the conflict. Your aunt and uncle have raised you in the small village of Tomm's Crossing, where life has been mostly peaceful. Until now

So begins the classic-style role-playing game Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Features:

Epic fantasy adventure.
Single player, controlling a band of adventurers.
Real-time pauseable combat for realism and control.
A combination of open-ended exploration and strong story driven plot.
Tactically challenging encounters featuring many different strategies.
Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
Dozens of quests, enemies, and monsters to tackle.
Build the character you want to - dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.

Try the first chapter for free, which includes a full adventure and conclusion. If you like what you see, continue on to the following five chapters, available as in-app purchases. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!
03-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Definitely look past that first screenshot Spiderweb RPG fans; this could be something special. Wouldn't have noticed it until a good friend pointed it out, got to pick this up tonight!

03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
That was my first thought as well! Thanks for the find, please let us know more (animations, characters, gameplay) if you pick it up, and how much is the iap to unlock the rest.
03-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Definitely look past that first screenshot Spiderweb RPG fans; this could be something special. Wouldn't have noticed it until a good friend pointed it out, got to pick this up tonight!
Is it an all inclusive IAP for chapters or as they are available like story book chapters, either way it looks like BG/ice wind dale so I'm in
03-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad View Post
Is it an all inclusive IAP for chapters or as they are available like story book chapters, either way it looks like BG/ice wind dale so I'm in
It seems to be broken down to single purchase chapters through IAPs. There's the first chapter included for free and the second is available now for $3.79 NZD, which I'd assume is around $2.99.

There's space on the IAP section for four more chapters which is promising but of course comes with all the worries with indie episodic titles. No option to buy them all yet.

Haven't got into the game itself but I'll update with impressions as soon as I can. It's promising that there's a huge manual included and the character creation has a lot of the elements you'd expect from from a decent cRPG ie. 4 classes, 5 stat categories, 29 feats and different appearances. I'll be amazed if I don't spend half an hour perfecting my hero!

Edit: It's pretty cool so far. A few issues with character movement in a few areas. Clicking on objects that can't be opened but you would assume could sends your hero into a strange jig; hopping around the area nearby madly. It's a little bit of a pain as it's not always obvious which objects you can interact with and which ones fill your hero with the need to dance. NPCs that move around also go with the urgency of someone needing the loo. It takes a little getting used to again as if you want to hear their lore offerings, you'll need to chase them around the village. No big deal though. Aside from this, it's promising in the early moments.

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 03-04-2015 at 04:25 PM.
03-04-2015, 04:40 PM
ow, episodic..i'll pass. Maybe if it gets completed and has an all inclusive iap like the lone wolf recently did. Thanks very much for the imps Pete!
03-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Ima keep my eye on this boy I think. The spiderweb games are my favorite! Well favourite next to that which is HoMM3
03-05-2015, 04:00 AM
Why don't I have an iPad?!?!? Any plans for iPhone? THIS is what an RPG looks like. Reminds me of spiderweb software a real RPGs. Real number min/max style with open world flavor. Among many other factors.... It's like indie Devs have to make real RPGs with lesser visuals because they aren't bioware making BG and IWD lol

Edit: sorry I was tired when I wrote that. Yeah I'll go with tired. Is there going to be an iPhone release? And if not... Well I don't have an if not, wen I get an iPad I will be getting this game. There are not enough true RPGs anywhere anymore, and not many good ones even on PC, which I also don't have currently. Spiderweb has basically made up for most of it by providing thousands of hours of RPG gaming for PC and Mac and now mobile, I'm glad there is another Dev trying the same thing. Good luck!

Last edited by speetz; 03-05-2015 at 01:30 PM.
03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Dev here. I will avoid telling you how great the game is, because... well, feel free to email and I will be happy to spam you to my heart's content.

Re: iPhone... Good Lord, man... you must have incredible eyesite to want to play a serious RPG on your phone! I'll take your feedback under consideration, but I'm skeptical that it would be possible to see what was going on. There is a PC version if that helps.

Re: Episodic. No worries if you want to wait for all 6 chapters to be out. I might do the same. Chapter 1 is free, chapter 2 is available, chapter 3 is in beta, and chapter 4 is in development. I have good thoughts on getting them all done in the next few months, but...

Thanks,
Geoff
11-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Temple of the Abyssal Winds Chapter 4

Temple of the Abyssal Winds Chapter 4: The False Church is now available, for Windows and iPad!

Quote:
The Church of the Four Winds, infiltrated and corrupted by an evil cult and its demonic patroness. Oldenton, overrun by fiendish priests and false idolators. Return now to your homeland, and defend against the depravities of the Temple of the Abyssal Winds.
Continue your adventure into the classic-style role-playing game of Temple of the Abyssal Winds. Chapter 4: The False Church is available for purchase now: on Windows, visit the website to purchase chapter 4, and on iPad, purchase chapter 4 as an in-app purchase.

If you are new to Temple of the Abyssal Winds, chapter 1 is free to download and play for both platforms. Start there, and then move through chapters 2 through 4, with chapters 5 and 6 scheduled for release in 2015. Merry Prankster Games invites you into the world of Temple of the Abyssal Winds!

You can find more information, or download Temple of the Abyssal Winds for Windows, on the website:

http://www.prankster.com/totaw

For iPad, Temple of the Abyssal Winds is available in the App Store:

Merry Prankster Games is a one-man band indie development studio, started in 1995 making the play-by-email game Atlantis. For more information about Merry Prankster Games visit: http://www.prankster.com or email Geoff Dunbar at totaw@prankster.com.