★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Sumosplash, you have done your homework well. But the text is so small, it is not as noticable as it may seem. I didn't even notice til you mentioned it.

Also there may be copyright issues, I think there was a game called Darius in the past, even though I am not sure.

The screen does not rotate, but on both my ipad and iphone it is in the correct orientation (meaning headphone up) so I don't notice.

As for retina, it looks retina on my iphone. Even on my new ipad it looks very good. Doubt they would ever make this ipad retina since it is a port. The bosses look awesome graphically. I think the best on ios shmups since they are slightly 3d.

These guys in this thread got me to buy it since we got all the shmup fans here. And now that I bought it, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Connector; 07-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.
07-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Also there may be copyright issues, I think there was a game called Darius in the past, even though I am not sure.
This is the latest in a line of Darius games going back to the original one which was also made by Taito, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues

07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
This is the latest in a line of Darius games going back to the original one which was also made by Taito, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues
Yeah Darius is Taito all the way. I think the only issue with changing the title would be that it would be changed on the iPad too since it's Universal, but that's fine with me since I only have an iPhone Darius SP would be more accurate anyway.

I wish Taito had more time for the forum. It would be nice to talk to them.
07-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
Ha ha yep was gonna say someone needs to do their homework if they think Taito is stealing the name of an old game ! Taito have been around for years and have done many great games in the past, wish they would re-release some of their old classics (Eg a Bubble Bobble app with the sequels).

Just hope they release more
07-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Ha ha yep was gonna say someone needs to do their homework if they think Taito is stealing the name of an old game ! Taito have been around for years and have done many great games in the past, wish they would re-release some of their old classics (Eg a Bubble Bobble app with the sequels).

Just hope they release more
I'd pay a lot of money for a re-done version of G-Darius. HD, Retina, the works. It would be more than worth whatever the asking price would be.
07-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.
Posts: 2,123
I hate to keep taking up room on this thread with my title hang up, but this makes no sense to me. Dariusburst is 11 characters, and Darius Burst, if you count the space in between, is 12 characters. I have three games on one page right now that have 13 characters in the title and they aren't abbreviated or done using ellipses at all.

Zombieville 2 -- 13 characters including the space
S.CrossfireHD -- 13 characters including the period
Project 83113 --13 characters including the space

So, why is it that Dariusburst/Darius Burst in either form could not fit? Is Taito using ellipses on purpose? If so, why? It looks retarded!
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
I hate to keep taking up room on this thread with my title hang up, but this makes no sense to me. Dariusburst is 11 characters, and Darius Burst, if you count the space in between, is 12 characters. I have three games on one page right now that have 13 characters in the title and they aren't abbreviated or done using ellipses at all.

Zombieville 2 -- 13 characters including the space
S.CrossfireHD -- 13 characters including the period
Project 83113 --13 characters including the space

So, why is it that Dariusburst/Darius Burst in either form could not fit? Is Taito using ellipses on purpose? If so, why? It looks retarded!
You are right, we should start a revolt! I think part of the problem stems from them using all capitals, which use up more pixel space. But maybe with this font, even using all lower cases, Dariusburst wouldn't fit. Maybe one of the developers here could try it to see if it would fit.

Looks great on my ipad, so guess the ipad allows more characters which makes sense since it is bigger.

I found another one on my iphone, Toast the Chicken is Toast...icken, and a new long name is Velocirapture which is 13 characters.

It is a little strange now that you mentioned it.
07-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Sumosplash,

Check out the "Non-cave shmup" thread under the general gaming section for some answers to some of your questions. Attached to that post are screenshots of some of the best ios shmups!

Hope it helps in determining if you will want to buy Dariusburst or any of the other games. See ya!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...=142098&page=4
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I think part of the problem stems from them using all capitals, which use up more pixel space. But maybe with this font, even using all lower cases, Dariusburst wouldn't fit. Maybe one of the developers here could try it to see if it would fit.

Looks great on my ipad, so guess the ipad allows more characters which makes sense since it is bigger.

I found another one on my iphone, Toast the Chicken is Toast...icken, and a new long name is Velocirapture which is 13 characters.
Well, if I was putting a game out and realized that my title wouldn't fit because I had it in capitals then I surely would change it to lower case. There is no point in having it read DARIUSBURST just to have it cut down to DARI...URST. I would personally title my game so it looks exactly the same on both. In this case it just so happens that DARIUS SP would not only be a shorter title to fit, but would also be the most accurate since the SP is unique to only iOS.

I wish Apple would have a setting where you could turn off the titles of the apps completely. This would also fit Apple's style, recognizing something by label instead of title.

The whole thing is just a pet peeve of mine. It just seems contradictory to make a beautiful game and then have it presented with ellipses.
07-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.
Posts: 2,123
I was just watching some YouTube videos of G-Darius and R-Type Delta and Final. Would you guys give one of both testicles to have updated versions of these games on your iDevice?